SFF / low profile Graphics card which can handle 2/3 monitors

Found 16th Jul 2015
I am building an SFF and need to add a GC but due to the case size it has to be SFF (like the Nvidia GT 610) but it needs to handle 2 monitors at once but ideally will be able to take 3

Does anyone know of one which does?
Community Updates
13 Comments
What's your budget?
Original Poster
not sure, upto £100 I think as don't need anything strenuous.

I had a look at the 5450 and it's not SFF, and won't fit in my case, the end plate needs to be 2.5 inch, I have a few gc's lieing about but they are all "full size" and don't fit.
This comes with a low-profile bracket: amazon.co.uk/XFX…450

What CPU are you pairing it with, what do you need the GPU for?
Original Poster
I have an I5 CPU and will literally just be web browsing and some light graphics work
For just general stuff I'd get the cheapest PCI-E graphics card with double or triple output.
If you're building the system at the same time then I'd just go for a motherboard that supports it. Both Ivy Bridge and Haswell integrated GPUs are capable of driving three monitors at once.

Support for two screens should be universal. For three monitors you can discount the oldest chips (5450, GT610) but the main problem there will be finding a card with three digital outputs, assuming you don't want VGA. Something like Sapphire's 6450 Flex/R5 230 Flex has two DVIs and an HDMI that will output together for around £40-45.
EndlessWaves

If you're building the system at the same time then I'd just go for a … If you're building the system at the same time then I'd just go for a motherboard that supports it. Both Ivy Bridge and Haswell integrated GPUs are capable of driving three monitors at once.Support for two screens should be universal. For three monitors you can discount the oldest chips (5450, GT610) but the main problem there will be finding a card with three digital outputs, assuming you don't want VGA. Something like Sapphire's 6450 Flex/R5 230 Flex has two DVIs and an HDMI that will output together for around £40-45.

I was thinking depending on which i5 they have the iGPU could be more than capable of driving 2 monitors (if the motherboard has the right connections).
You lose the VGA on the 5450 when installing the low-profile bracket too. So you're left with HDMI and DVI.

They could use the iGPU to run a 3rd monitor.
Original Poster
I can't remember which I5 it is at the moment, would need to boot the pc, the mobo only has 2 inputs of 1 vga and 1 dvi, so I would need a kvm / switch to run 3 from the onboard?
You could always go the external route and get something like a USB3 to VGA adapter like this

or USB3 to HDMI like this.
imnotlikeyou

I can't remember which I5 it is at the moment, would need to boot the pc, … I can't remember which I5 it is at the moment, would need to boot the pc, the mobo only has 2 inputs of 1 vga and 1 dvi, so I would need a kvm / switch to run 3 from the onboard?

No, you'd need to pick a different motherboard with three outputs. They're fairly common as long as you avoid H81 chipset boards which only support two. Something like MSI's B85M-G43 has three digital outputs and at £55 is cheaper than the cheapest motherboard and a separate graphics card.

Well, if your monitors are of appropriate resolutions (typically 1920x1200 or less, although 2560x1080 may work) then a DisplayPort output is often capable of driving multiple monitors from one connector via an MST hub.

Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 16th Jul 2015
kester76

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2GB-Gigabyte-GTX-750-OC-28nm-PCIe-3-0-x16-5000-MHz-GDDR5-GPU-1059-MHz-Boo-/131552495922?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1ea123c932 <+ Lowprofile but 2 slot

Expensive for a 750
rev6

Expensive for a 750

Pretty niche market for these though
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants