Shall I upgrade my laptop or buy a new one?

Found 19th Dec 2017
at the moment I have a Samsung R530 (NP-R530-JB02UK) Intel® Core™ i3-330M (2.13Ghz) Dual Core Processor 15.6" HD Screen Windows 7 Home Premium Edition 4GB RAM 500GB HDD DVD Rewriter Integrated Graphics

however it's over 7 years old, is slow and laggy but now the battery is not charging and needs replacing.

question is shall I update the harddrive and battery on this to improve it?

or buy a new one with a budget of around £200

edit budget is £400

thank in advance for the help

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
19 Comments

What do you use it for? If you just do the basics an ssd and some ram should sort you out for a few years plus the battery. What you’d get for £200 for a new one would not be very good.

You won't get a comparable new laptop for a £200 budget, but it's certainly worth looking at newer second hand machines.

Original Poster

It's mostly used for internet browsing, word processing, YouTube and streaming Netflix
Edited by: "Ghulam35" 19th Dec 2017

Original Poster

Sorry budget is £400 not £200

£200 is what I been quoted to upgrade harddrive and battery

Absolutely upgrade, It's a false economy to keep upgrading your old laptop. 7 years is a good run for a laptop, time to let the old fella retire.

Keep a lookout for deals in the xmas sales. Do a keyword search under 'Laptop' and see what is available for the £400 mark.

Deal0rN0Dea126 m ago

Absolutely upgrade, It's a false economy to keep upgrading your old …Absolutely upgrade, It's a false economy to keep upgrading your old laptop. 7 years is a good run for a laptop, time to let the old fella retire.Keep a lookout for deals in the xmas sales. Do a keyword search under 'Laptop' and see what is available for the £400 mark.

A new laptop to browse the internet, type documents and stream Netflix seems a bit steep. You could get a new ssd battery and ram for less that £200

Ghulam351 h, 10 m ago

Sorry budget is £400 not £200£200 is what I been quoted to upgrade ha …Sorry budget is £400 not £200£200 is what I been quoted to upgrade harddrive and battery

That person is charging you so much extra! A 1tb 2.5" HDD is about £25, a 240gb SSD is about £80 and is much faster than a HDD. You could add a stick of 4gb RAM easily for £12 from CeX.

That said your laptop is really old, I would say to buy a 2nd hand laptop in great condition. You could easily get some really good specs for that much.

Tbh I would prefer to change the laptop. My old laptop lasted me only 3 years. So I am amazed with anyone who got it more than that. But having said so I used to play long hours of games on that before this. For 400 pound you can get good laptop around. Especially if you can use the student discount. Lenovo and HP is having a bit of student discount so do check their line.

And you can stream Netflix 1080p instead as well.
Edited by: "Dronelover" 19th Dec 2017

buy a new one. i buy a new laptop every 4 years even if there is nothing wrong with the old one. technology moves so fast and laptops aren't expensive so i might as well enjoy the benefit of new technology

Replacement Battery £29.55p

ebay.co.uk/itm…850

Replacement SSD Drive £65.00p

amazon.co.uk/Cru…ssd

Extra 4gb Memory £34.79p
uk.crucial.com/gbr…521

Total £129.34

The crucial SSD Drive comes with a free copy of Acronis True Image which will enable you to create an exact image of your existing drive before swapping it out.

An alternative would also be

Acer Aspire Full HD and SSD Drive at £379.99p
If you can get a credit account with very you could have it on a buy now pay later and pay or it in 12 months time, and by using the code MFUUG you can get a further £70 off and added back to your account making the Latop £309.99p

very.co.uk/ace…ire

I found a good deal for my friend on Dell Outlet using a voucher on that model for 20% off, good specs and just a 3cm scratch on the case.

I did have to stalk their page for a bit to wait for one to come up, though.

I'm on mobile but will try and post the specs later. Only negative was screen which was HD but didn't blow me away (though it is good). My friend's budget was just over 200, though, with your budget you could probably do very well.
Edited by: "milady" 19th Dec 2017

Original Poster

regretful13 h, 58 m ago

Replacement Battery …Replacement Battery £29.55phttps://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Battery-for-Samsung-NP-R530-JB02UK-NP-R530-JB03-Laptop-4400mAh-Black/182934980528?_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIM.MBE&ao=1&asc=49138&meid=2d23fcc72b82403da1c2a4047c3111eb&pid=100011&rk=3&rkt=12&sd=182634420210&_trksid=p2047675.c100011.m1850Replacement SSD Drive £65.00phttps://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT240BX300SSD1-BX300-Internal-Solid/dp/B0742BC3DQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1513685209&sr=1-1&keywords=crucial+ssdExtra 4gb Memory £34.79phttp://uk.crucial.com/gbr/en/r530/CT5300521Total £129.34The crucial SSD Drive comes with a free copy of Acronis True Image which will enable you to create an exact image of your existing drive before swapping it out.An alternative would also beAcer Aspire Full HD and SSD Drive at £379.99pIf you can get a credit account with very you could have it on a buy now pay later and pay or it in 12 months time, and by using the code MFUUG you can get a further £70 off and added back to your account making the Latop £309.99phttp://www.very.co.uk/acer-aspire-3-intel-core-i3-4gb-ram-128gb-ssd-156-inch-full-hd-laptop-black-withnbspmcafee-livesafenbspand-optional-microsoft-office-365-home/1600202178.prd?Ntt=acer aspire

Omg thank you so much for this, anyone know how much it will cost to get the parts fitted?

Original Poster

milady3 h, 24 m ago

I found a good deal for my friend on Dell Outlet using a voucher on that …I found a good deal for my friend on Dell Outlet using a voucher on that model for 20% off, good specs and just a 3cm scratch on the case.I did have to stalk their page for a bit to wait for one to come up, though.I'm on mobile but will try and post the specs later. Only negative was screen which was HD but didn't blow me away (though it is good). My friend's budget was just over 200, though, with your budget you could probably do very well.

Hi, yes please do if you get a chance

Ghulam3517 m ago

Omg thank you so much for this, anyone know how much it will cost to get …Omg thank you so much for this, anyone know how much it will cost to get the parts fitted?

Honestly its something which you would be able to do yourself as the parts are easily accessible from underneath the laptop
and should take less than 5 minutes even for a novice to be able to do.
Take a look at the video and see If you would feel comfortable in doing yourself

If you're going to keep your laptop and make upgrades then upgrade the RAM and HDD to a SSD + I would personally upgrade the CPU from an i3 to an i7 as well. Clean the fan when you remove the heatsink.
32826646-5SC68.jpg

Intel Core i7-620M @ £29
Intel Core i7-640M @ £33

If you never use the optical drive (like most people) then swap it for a HDD caddy, pop your 500GB HDD in there for extra storage. Buy your 2x4GB DDR3 RAM from CEX for £24-ish or just buy 1x4GB and add that to your 1x2GB so you have 6GB of RAM.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 19th Dec 2017

No real point wasting £200 upgrading your 7 year old laptop. You could try dell's outlet store for cheap, but decent refurbished laptops. Also, keep an eye out for offers. There was a i3-7100 hp laptop with 1080p screen for £350 at pc world a week or two ago and an i5 1080p acer laptop for £300 bit earlier than that. Those would have been perfect for your needs.

Original Poster

Thanks everyone I'm keeping an eye out on the sales

Original Poster

Thanks once again everyone, managed to pick HP 250 g6 Laptop from ebuyer eBay for £404
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants