Shana Tova to all Jewish HUKDers

Found 20th Sep 2017
Happy New Year!!

What is Rosh Hashanah? It’s the Jewish New Year. Literally meaning "the head of the year" in Hebrew, Rosh Hashanah – also spelled Rosh HaShanah, Roshashana and Rosh Hashannah, among other variations – is the first of the Jewish High Holy Days and is usually celebrated in September. Due to the Jewish calendar being based on the lunar cycle – like Easter is for Christians – it moves every year. In 2016, it began October 2.

When is it this year? It begins the evening of Wednesday, Sept. 20, and ends on the evening of Friday, Sept. 22. In general, Orthodox and some other conservative Jews observe it from start to finish, while more liberal Jews tend attend services only on the first full day, in this case Thursday, Sept. 21.

What happens during Rosh Hashanah? Though it depends on which Jewish tradition is being followed, much time is spent at a synagogue. During services, a hollowed-out ram's horn, known as a shofar, is blown, symbolizing a call to repentance. Many Jews also observe a tradition called tashlich, meaning "casting off" in Hebrew, in which they go to a nearby river or lake and throw pieces of bread, which signifies the washing away of sin.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Just seen someone walking through Manchester with one of these bad boys on, then I remembered this thread.

32049321-DetPl.jpgHappy new year.
30 Comments
I am not Jewish but Shana Tova to you too
32045065-23rLn.jpg

Shana Tova Davewave and Jewish friends on HUKD
That's really interesting it's also the start of the Islamic new year 1st of Muharram although as far as im aware its tomorrow night in the UK not tonight. Nice to see that both islam and Judaism have many similarities.

Do you do the new year according to the moon sighting in Israel or the UK?
adhkarzf1 m ago

That's really interesting it's also the start of the Islamic new year 1st …That's really interesting it's also the start of the Islamic new year 1st of Muharram although as far as im aware its tomorrow night in the UK not tonight. Nice to see that both islam and Judaism have many similarities.Do you do the new year according to the moon sighting in Israel or the UK?

They are both Abrahamic religions.

Enjoy your holidays to both.
What is Shana tova
Sweettooth347 m ago

What is Shana tova

Have you tried google?
I didn't know before
Have a good one
Edited by: "tregs" 20th Sep 2017
Have a good one Dave and others.
No need to patronise me you know will have a look
Sweettooth3420 m ago

No need to patronise me you know will have a look

No one is patronising you - we are only enlightening you as to the wonder of internet searches that will help you quicker than here with you queries
Edited by: "tregs" 20th Sep 2017
Sweettooth3454 m ago

What is Shana tova

Thought she wozza Czechoslovakian tennis player. Oh no that's Sharapova, my bad.
Literally meaning "the head of the year" in Hebrew

"Now that's enough to give anyone the horn" - Sir Terry Pratchett

32045741-74yR5.jpg
CookinBat26 m ago

Thought she wozza Czechoslovakian tennis player. Oh no that's Sharapova, …Thought she wozza Czechoslovakian tennis player. Oh no that's Sharapova, my bad.

Well I know which one I prefer...

32045985-6SefV.jpg32045985-8Ngcf.jpg
Rubisco1 m ago

Well I know which one I prefer...[Image] [Image]

32045993-IOMUB.jpg
Rubisco29 m ago

Well I know which one I prefer...[Image] [Image]

Yes, but you haven't stated which one!
Shana Tova to all my Hebrew peeps
Just to add.

The first month of the Jewish Year is the month of Nissan, the head of months.

Rosh Hashanah is always the 1st day of the 7th month, the month of Tishrei.
adhkarzf13 h, 27 m ago

That's really interesting it's also the start of the Islamic new year 1st …That's really interesting it's also the start of the Islamic new year 1st of Muharram although as far as im aware its tomorrow night in the UK not tonight. Nice to see that both islam and Judaism have many similarities.Do you do the new year according to the moon sighting in Israel or the UK?

A Jewish calendar day starts at sunset
Just seen someone walking through Manchester with one of these bad boys on, then I remembered this thread.

32049321-DetPl.jpgHappy new year.
32050081-nQzWK.jpg
OllieSt2 h, 39 m ago

A Jewish calendar day starts at sunset

Same for islamic day, our night precedes day.
Edited by: "adhkarzf" 21st Sep 2017
adhkarzf23 m ago

Same for islamic day, our night precedes day.

Wonder where the idea came from?
davewave21 m ago

Wonder where the idea came from?

Seems a little odd.
happy new year dude.
123thisisme1 h, 31 m ago

Seems a little odd. happy new year dude.

Thanks Adzkharf!
That is a wicked hairstyle ..booyashaka!
32053109-ByNoR.jpg32053109-Zcn2u.jpg32053109-hVkZN.jpg
32053131-fTeFk.jpg
davewave3 m ago

Is that you with the horn, dave'?
Saturn27 m ago

[Image] Is that you with the horn, dave'?

No its a rabbi.
adhkarzf20th Sep

According to your own local heavenly bodies positioning or the positioning of your ancestral home or whichever geographical location on earth that you have an affinity to.
I used to live in norrice lea once - for security reasons I can't reveal what my abode abutted!!

balfour100.org

bbc.co.uk/pro…z4y
Edited by: "seb" 23rd Sep 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants