Share trading and lessons

Posted 16th Jun
Hey guys

I am developed ( again) interest in learning about share trading.

I have read an excellent book by Stan Weinstein and bought a few shares recently. I am using Trading 212 platform ( a kind user on hukd referred me )

I am looking to develop further technical knowledge and have been trying to read up online and found a few books.

As you would all know with anything these days, it's a minefield to know where to go next.

So if some of you guys who know your stuff would be kind enough to advise on books, youtube videos or websites.

I have been using trading UK and investopedia apps as well

the shares that I have invested in and watching are as follows

Informa
Vodafone
BAE systems
Pearson
Microsoft

thanks for looking
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
Since you seem to be into single shares, ADVFN and LSE are two of the most popular chat forums.
The Lemon Fool is more geared to high income, but is pretty broad with some very knowledgeable folk on it. I quite like the DIYInvestoruk . I always recommend Ramin's videos on the Pensioncraft channel on youtube for really good explanations of how finance works, but he is more geared towards ETF's/OEICS than single shares.
Edited by: "airbus330" 16th Jun
As I understand it 212 offer 'free' trades but then encourage you to move onto CFD's.

Don't do that.
I have also ventured down the road although i'm using the iWeb platform.

There are some interesting vids on this YouTube channel

I've gone for

Aviva
Fevertree
Wetherspoons
Diageo
Cineworld
GVC

Based upon the share price where they were pre Covid 19 and catering for a bounce back in the next few years.

It has risks of course it has but remember, never risk what you cant afford to lose.
Any technical books / channels that you guys have used and benefitted from?
Check out fool.com some excellent reading there. It’s also worth subbing to their stock advisor at $99 a year, they introduced me to shopify back in 2016.
Thanks all , very useful information
Expecting a 2000-5000% increase in the price of Quadrise. Just about to get a contract in Morocco that will move the share price from 1.5p to 30p
as well as some of the sites here, reddit in the r/finance or r/personalfinance areas are possibly good sources of questions and insider views from people in the various industries.

i suspect you can go your whole life learning new stuff, but the fundamentals are pretty basic (risk vs reward).
Unsure why BAE systems is on you list
donny126616/06/2020 22:01

Expecting a 2000-5000% increase in the price of Quadrise. Just about to …Expecting a 2000-5000% increase in the price of Quadrise. Just about to get a contract in Morocco that will move the share price from 1.5p to 30p

OP, be careful of forums and don't blindly follow them. Yes, there will be some great advice but also a lot of "pump & dump" stuff.
mas9916/06/2020 17:18

As I understand it 212 offer 'free' trades but then encourage you to move …As I understand it 212 offer 'free' trades but then encourage you to move onto CFD's.Don't do that.

They do indeed offer no fee trading however they do not encourage you to move to CFDs, there is no mention of CFDs at all when using the app.

Of course you can sign up for it, but they simply do not market or push it to customers.
Willy_Wonka16/06/2020 22:42

Unsure why BAE systems is on you list

I am not sure , hence trying to seek and advise and build up knowledge 😁

Do you have any views on this particular share?
PenguinsForAll17/06/2020 11:49

They do indeed offer no fee trading however they do not encourage you to …They do indeed offer no fee trading however they do not encourage you to move to CFDs, there is no mention of CFDs at all when using the app.Of course you can sign up for it, but they simply do not market or push it to customers.

OK. I've never dealt with them, but the name has come up and a couple of people in the industry stated that their profits come mainly from cfd and that they encourage customers into cfd.
bozo00716/06/2020 23:03

OP, be careful of forums and don't blindly follow them. Yes, there will be …OP, be careful of forums and don't blindly follow them. Yes, there will be some great advice but also a lot of "pump & dump" stuff.

Agree totally.

I wouldn't hold those shares based on a quick look.

AIM, oil - both bad imho.

Checking the notes to the accounts we have a company burning through cash at a significant rate. Most of the assets are intangible - no real info provided on what that represents.

Incoming cash is mainly through a finance deal with convertable bonds with a price of 1.2p/share.

Oil is a declining business. The company doesn't look to have anything special - orimulsion etc were there first.
mas9917/06/2020 13:16

OK. I've never dealt with them, but the name has come up and a couple …OK. I've never dealt with them, but the name has come up and a couple of people in the industry stated that their profits come mainly from cfd and that they encourage customers into cfd.

It's true they make their money from CFD, that's how they can offer normal trading with no fees. So if you stick to normal trading you are winning it!

Never been encouraged to CFD, if anything discouraged as they are required to tell you how risky it is (over 80% of people lose money) and even have a Q&A before you can open a CFD account.

I'd give their platform a go simply for the fact you don't pay any fees compared to whoever you are with. They have also introduced an amazing feature called Pies with AutoInvest: helpcentre.trading212.com/hc/…ion
bozo00716/06/2020 23:03

OP, be careful of forums and don't blindly follow them. Yes, there will be …OP, be careful of forums and don't blindly follow them. Yes, there will be some great advice but also a lot of "pump & dump" stuff.

Trebled this week. Hope you got on
rambobambo20/06/2020 14:38

What did you buy?

Quadrise about to go from 1.2p per share to 20p. Contract signed with Morocco for the product, potential deal in s America too. Cashed out my stake and freerolling on 2k now.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants