How does shared drive away work I’ve got a garage at the back

Is it half half
Or

I’m not the house owner

If anyone got an idea let me know ?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I will never buy a house with a shared drive again, inconsiderate idiot neighbours think they can park where they like.
Check out the property deeds as it will be marked out on them what bits you own and share.
13 Comments
There is no single default answer, only the documents will tell you. If you're not the home owner and thus don't have those documents, you would have to ask the owner.
I will never buy a house with a shared drive again, inconsiderate idiot neighbours think they can park where they like.
Check out the property deeds as it will be marked out on them what bits you own and share.
If it is shared then you both own it and have use of it and that use may well be specified in the deeds or similar.
You can download the plan of your access from the land registry for about £4 I think & it will tell you what is what. You might have to pay another £4 to view the deeds that will categorically state your rights.
shared will mean that you both have access to it. it often doesn't split the driveway into two distinct paths as it tends to be a small driveway as otherwise it would be separated already and not shared.
I remember 2 neighbours arguing about it, one parking there and refused to move car for access.
The other neighbour waited until he went on holiday and put in huge concrete posts down the middle, On his side
and fence panels. Plus cctv.
The Neighbour got back went mad and smashed them down, all on camera.
Police, court, fine, prison when he refused to pay fine and damage.
All over shared driveway.
My house shares a drive with 2 others.
Im the last house and get a J turn.
Deeds state first and second house can use drive to enter and leave their property, but not stop or park on it.
Not had issues as both neighbours are nice and friendly.
When I’m away for work I ask them to park on my drive so house looks lived in.
Edited by: "bigwheels" 2nd Aug
bigwheels02/08/2020 19:16

I remember 2 neighbours arguing about it, one parking there and refused to …I remember 2 neighbours arguing about it, one parking there and refused to move car for access.The other neighbour waited until he went on holiday and put in huge concrete posts down the middle, On his sideand fence panels. Plus cctv.The Neighbour got back went mad and smashed them down, all on camera.Police, court, fine, prison when he refused to pay fine and damage.All over shared driveway.My house shares a drive with 2 others.Im the last house and get a J turn.Deeds state first and second house can use drive to enter and leave their property, but not stop or park on it.Not had issues as both neighbours are nice and friendly.When I’m away for work I ask them to park on my drive so house looks lived in.

Will be almost impossible for them to sell their houses.
One of the questions on the solicitors forms will be related to disputes with Neighbours over boundaries.

Can't tell lies, and when answered correctly the solicitor will advise against buying.

Also think about that when thinking about having an argument with a neighbour!.
Edited by: "Chiptivo" 2nd Aug
Chiptivo02/08/2020 19:23

Will be almost impossible for them to sell their houses. One of the …Will be almost impossible for them to sell their houses. One of the questions on the solicitors forms will be related to disputes with Neighbours over boundaries. Can't tell lies, and when answered correctly the solicitor will advise against buying. Also think about that when thinking about having an argument with a neighbour!

Yes that I know about.
My friend wanted to extend his garage and neighbour fought against it.
Made up lies, working from garage, storing chemicals and petrol etc
Objected to council, lost in the end.
When he came to sell no one wanted to buy the house.
Had to go with national home buyers, one of that type of companies.
Sold for 50k less than market price.
Mate laughed so much when he found out he almost coughed up a lung.
You own your bit if land in front of house your own house and you can park there but you have to allow neighbour access to get to their driveway....you cant obstruct their access and vice versa....have seen it in a lot of new developments. But get lawyer to check deeds to be sure. All good if neighbours are reasonable and stick to parking on their own side....but unfortunately you can not guarantee what neighbours be like.
Edited by: "ran123ran" 2nd Aug
As others mentioned, it’s a tricky one. Been in a situation where many neighbours share parking area with no other means (e.g. no garages at the back etc). 98% of the time each neighbour parked directly outside their own house, however neighbours change etc and a new neighbour on the corner refused to follow this and purposely parked in the spaces, even though they had access to parking at the rear of their own house. Just refused to use it because they wanted the right to park directly outside their house.

It’s a shame, in principal it works but in practice I find if there’s an unwilling party it’s painful.

Likewise would now refuse to buy a property without its own private driveway.
Depends if it's a shared driveway or shared access. Access means you can't legally park there and block someone in. Shared driveway, you're expected to just sort it out between you.
plebbygiraffe02/08/2020 17:07

There is no single default answer, only the documents will tell you. If …There is no single default answer, only the documents will tell you. If you're not the home owner and thus don't have those documents, you would have to ask the owner.

Or buy them online from the Land Registry - very cheap.
Chiptivo02/08/2020 19:23

Will be almost impossible for them to sell their houses. One of the …Will be almost impossible for them to sell their houses. One of the questions on the solicitors forms will be related to disputes with Neighbours over boundaries. Can't tell lies, and when answered correctly the solicitor will advise against buying. Also think about that when thinking about having an argument with a neighbour!.

Completely true, lots of people don't consider this
Post a comment
@
    Text