Shared electric fuse in flats - help

Posted 12th Oct
I need my meter changing but the fuse box is shared with a neighbour of mine, spoke to the neighbour who seems willing but is also unreliable and comes and goes at all hours (booked time off work to try and get sorted, also agreed time slot with neighbour, then they advised they had to go out the morning of the appointment).

The energy company found a grey wire connected to my meter which was not theirs (it's to do with the night rate but no longer required once they took out storage heaters and installed central heating) so they won't touch it, council advise they could do it but may possibly mean turning off power to the whole block of 9 flats (haha I know right).

Issue began back on August 10th when power cuts affected my meter, still have power but can't top up my meter and don't want a huge bill a year or 2 from now. Also if there is no movement from the council on this can I go to the energy ombudsman?

Thanks for reading
Community Updates
Misc
15 Comments
The energy company need to write the the other tenants requesting access under their right of entry laws.

Energy companies have the right to isolate power to properties to rectify dangerous and non working meters and powerlines etc.
What is the reasoning behind "I need my meter changing"?
AndyRoyd12/10/2019 20:37

I guess this is the reason why .

"Issue began back on August 10th when power cuts affected my meter, still have power but can't top up my meter and don't want a huge bill a year or 2 from now. Also if there is no movement from the council on this can I go to the energy ombudsman?"
markvirgo12/10/2019 19:05

The energy company need to write the the other tenants requesting access …The energy company need to write the the other tenants requesting access under their right of entry laws.Energy companies have the right to isolate power to properties to rectify dangerous and non working meters and powerlines etc.

Does the council/landlord have the same rights?
AndyRoyd12/10/2019 20:37

When the power cut happened my meter showed a blank screen and could not top up, I would just prefer it fixed but because it's an old traditional meter they will only replace with a new smart meter.
oli_1_uk13/10/2019 00:17

Does the council/landlord have the same rights?

No they don't. The landlord can request access but would need a court order to access if the tenant refused.
The council has no rights of access.
oli_1_uk13/10/2019 01:08

When the power cut happened my meter showed a blank screen and could not …When the power cut happened my meter showed a blank screen and could not top up, I would just prefer it fixed but because it's an old traditional meter they will only replace with a new smart meter.

Wrong they can't make you have a smart meter.
I wouldn't share jack with my neighbor, get an electrician to look at it, and don't warn your neighbour
esar13/10/2019 17:04

I wouldn't share jack with my neighbor, get an electrician to look at it, …I wouldn't share jack with my neighbor, get an electrician to look at it, and don't warn your neighbour

Can that be done? Electricians who came out said they had to check electrics in my neighbours flat in case they had any issues and caused a fire, can understand as they gotta cover their backs. Would be interested in looking into a separate fuse box though.
These power cuts, are they just you?
esar13/10/2019 18:18

These power cuts, are they just you?

Mine seems to be the only one affected, all the rest look to be working fine. The meter screen is lit but blank, the energy company advised this was down to the power cuts of that time and when the electric came back on it caused mine to stop working properly
oli_1_uk13/10/2019 22:31

Mine seems to be the only one affected, all the rest look to be working …Mine seems to be the only one affected, all the rest look to be working fine. The meter screen is lit but blank, the energy company advised this was down to the power cuts of that time and when the electric came back on it caused mine to stop working properly

Surprised the power company doesn't suspect fraud from either you or your neighbour, you should ask them how long can you keep having free electricity or maybe let your insurance company know that nobody seems concerned that they'll be footing the bill if everything goes up in flames
esar13/10/2019 23:02

Surprised the power company doesn't suspect fraud from either you or your …Surprised the power company doesn't suspect fraud from either you or your neighbour, you should ask them how long can you keep having free electricity or maybe let your insurance company know that nobody seems concerned that they'll be footing the bill if everything goes up in flames

I'm surprised as well, you'd think the energy company (Boost) would be all over it but they don't really seem to care, they're not contacting me I'm doing the chasing.

That's a good idea with regards to insurance, I'll speak with them about it thanks.
KemCol12/10/2019 21:18

I guess this is the reason why ."Issue began back on August 10th when …I guess this is the reason why ."Issue began back on August 10th when power cuts affected my meter, still have power but can't top up my meter and don't want a huge bill a year or 2 from now. Also if there is no movement from the council on this can I go to the energy ombudsman?"

That is not a reason to change a meter, although it may be one solution to the issue.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants