Shared Hedge

Posted 2nd JulEdited by:"ellenw"
We share a 5ft high 60ft long conifer hedge on the front of our property with our neighbour of twenty years. We each maintain our side of the hedge (we do the top of it) they want to replace it with a fence the length of the drive, we think it will look awful. She's asked me to look at our deeds to see who is responsible for it. She said if she responsible we may come home and find it gone. Any advise on boundaries
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
we have a similar hedge at the front of our property, but i don't think it is as long as yours. i am not into greenery and i like properties that are easy to maintain so anything that is maintenance free gets my vote.

when we moved here just over a year ago, i was going to remove it and build a wall instead. we told the neighbour that we would be doing so and they never objected. our propery deed states that we are responsible for that side of the boundary.

i got a builder round to give me a quote but i never went ahead with it as i had second thoughts after we had lived here and i got used to it. i am glad i didn't remove it as now i have come round to thinking it looks nice and a horrid brick wall would have been ugly as it would be quite long and also low, so we would lose the privacy between the two front drives.

she may change her mind when she finds out how much it will cost to remove and replace with a fence.
16 Comments
we have a similar hedge at the front of our property, but i don't think it is as long as yours. i am not into greenery and i like properties that are easy to maintain so anything that is maintenance free gets my vote.

when we moved here just over a year ago, i was going to remove it and build a wall instead. we told the neighbour that we would be doing so and they never objected. our propery deed states that we are responsible for that side of the boundary.

i got a builder round to give me a quote but i never went ahead with it as i had second thoughts after we had lived here and i got used to it. i am glad i didn't remove it as now i have come round to thinking it looks nice and a horrid brick wall would have been ugly as it would be quite long and also low, so we would lose the privacy between the two front drives.

she may change her mind when she finds out how much it will cost to remove and replace with a fence.
mutley102/07/2020 19:15

we have a similar hedge at the front of our property, but i don't think it …we have a similar hedge at the front of our property, but i don't think it is as long as yours. i am not into greenery and i like properties that are easy to maintain so anything that is maintenance free gets my vote.when we moved here just over a year ago, i was going to remove it and build a wall instead. we told the neighbour that we would be doing so and they never objected. our propery deed states that we are responsible for that side of the boundary.i got a builder round to give me a quote but i never went ahead with it as i had second thoughts after we had lived here and i got used to it. i am glad i didn't remove it as now i have come round to thinking it looks nice and a horrid brick wall would have been ugly as it would be quite long and also low, so we would lose the privacy between the two front drives.she may change her mind when she finds out how much it will cost to remove and replace with a fence.

Thank you, I wouldn't mind looking a nice wall, I'd better check the deeds to see if we're responsible for that side.
ellenw02/07/2020 19:20

Thank you, I wouldn't mind looking a nice wall, I'd better check the deeds …Thank you, I wouldn't mind looking a nice wall, I'd better check the deeds to see if we're responsible for that side.

i wasn't going to put in a cheap wall as it is at the front of the property, i was going to buy pretty bricks and i was happy to spend thousands on the wall but i changed my mind after i got used to the hedge.

if the property deed states that they are responsible for that side of the boundary, then the hedge technically speaking, belongs to them and they can do whatever they want with it.
I just let my neighbour do what they want
When looking out the front door it’s the fence to your right, looking out the crack door it’s the fence to your left. But best double check..
Bargainhead02/07/2020 19:50

When looking out the front door it’s the fence to your right, looking out t …When looking out the front door it’s the fence to your right, looking out the crack door it’s the fence to your left. But best double check..

Thank you, looks like its hers then, its on our left looking out of the front door
ellenw02/07/2020 19:55

Thank you, looks like its hers then, its on our left looking out of the …Thank you, looks like its hers then, its on our left looking out of the front door

The hedge might be getting to much for them to maintain, but if it is there fence it will save you some money..
can you not just make hedge thinner and she builds a wall against it so best of both worlds?
AMaky02/07/2020 20:16

can you not just make hedge thinner and she builds a wall against it so …can you not just make hedge thinner and she builds a wall against it so best of both worlds?

we could have done this but it is on our land that the hedge grows on, so we would not have been happy if the neighbour said they wanted to keep half of it and we build the wall on the cut half. one of the reason i wanted to remove the hedge was to free up more drive space as the hedge was quite thick.

what i did was keep the hedge but i got the gardener to cut it in half, length wise to free up space on our side.
ellenw02/07/2020 19:55

Thank you, looks like its hers then, its on our left looking out of the …Thank you, looks like its hers then, its on our left looking out of the front door

the boundary can be on either left or right of your property. there is no general rule about this at all. below is a link to boundaries that may help.

boundary-problems.co.uk/bou…tml
The owner of the boundary will be identified on the deeds, that's the only way to tell.
One thing to bear in mind is that the width of the hedge could be 3 or 4 feet - taking the hedge out could be a landgrab. check where the actual boundary is.

Details of who is responsible for the boundary isn't related to who owns the land the hedge is on. Even deeds only give info about when they were drawn up. Its quite common to find that there was an original fence but then someone planted a hedge on their side and the fence was later removed.
mutley102/07/2020 22:41

the boundary can be on either left or right of your property. there is no …the boundary can be on either left or right of your property. there is no general rule about this at all. below is a link to boundaries that may help.http://www.boundary-problems.co.uk/boundary-problems/fences.html

Thanks for this info, checked our deeds, they are silent on the question of responsibility for the boundary.
ellenw05/07/2020 14:40

Thanks for this info, checked our deeds, they are silent on the question …Thanks for this info, checked our deeds, they are silent on the question of responsibility for the boundary.

if that is the case, then check the seller information questionaire that you had received when you bought the house as there is a question on there about boundary responsibility. it is not definitive proof as the seller can me mistaken.

without anything being stated in the deed then you both own the hedge and you can then stop the neighbour removing it unless they can prove that they own that side of the boundary.

do bear in mind that if you claim to own or jointly own that side of the boundary, then when it comes to replace the fence in the back garden, you will also be responsible for replacing that.
Mendoza02/07/2020 19:37

I just let my neighbour do what they want

So did i, but now we have 2 more children. It's not funny.
Just an aside to consider, but a hedge is really good at being a windbreaker and soundbreaker, much more effective than a fence. Might be worth pointing that out to your neighbour if you live somewhere like I do with pounding wind off a plain or if you, or they, have noisy gardens (kids/dogs/traffic).
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants