Shaver socket - want to swap it for something useful

Posted 12th Jan
Hi all, after some wisdom of this great community once more...

I've got a standard shaver power point in the bathroom like this...
3386737-ZZJNX.jpgIt has no use for me and the Mrs, the panel is actually broken and I'm going to paint that wall in the next few weeks anyway.... Now I could just buy a new one, swap it and be done... However I was thinking is there something that actually could be useful fitted instead... Like a built in dab radio that would fit into the gap and use the power source... Seems a much better idea... I've tried Google and I can't find anything so far....

Ideally I would like an easy swap using the fittings already there but life doesn't work like that....

Thank you in advance fine folk..
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

Top comments
Mr_Gus12/01/2020 13:46

Couldn't be without mine it's where I test & maintainance charge my north …Couldn't be without mine it's where I test & maintainance charge my north american radio's for snowboarding back country trips. Whats rubbish to you will b an essential to somone else, electric toothbrushes etc..

Then the next owner can put it back In 😁.

Not having my home useful for someone who doesn't live there
16 Comments
reichelt.com/gb/…r=1

I realise these are not the right profile...
splatsplatsplat12/01/2020 08:31

https://www.reichelt.com/gb/en/dab-fm-flush-mounted-radio-with-bluetooth-digitradio-up1-p235998.html?PROVID=2788&wt_guka=92495611608_406948187429&PROVID=2788&gclid=CjwKCAiApOvwBRBUEiwAcZGdGJlpssNkuoAiVe39x_bRUxLnt_1vvVG0TagC5kXfz8VdtnfO9iyXdBoCqjoQAvD_BwE&&r=1I realise these are not the right profile...

No but they are a step close to what in looking for... Great work there
I'd stick an Echo Dot in there. The older Gen 2 one has the speakers on the top so could fit it flush with the wall and hands free so no worries about operating it with wet hands.
Couldn't be without mine it's where I test & maintainance charge my north american radio's for snowboarding back country trips.
Whats rubbish to you will b an essential to somone else, electric toothbrushes etc..
Mr_Gus12/01/2020 13:46

Couldn't be without mine it's where I test & maintainance charge my north …Couldn't be without mine it's where I test & maintainance charge my north american radio's for snowboarding back country trips. Whats rubbish to you will b an essential to somone else, electric toothbrushes etc..

Then the next owner can put it back In 😁.

Not having my home useful for someone who doesn't live there
Run a spur off it, so it is useful in its current form & beyond is the logic I was pointing at.
Mr_Gus12/01/2020 14:36

Run a spur off it, so it is useful in its current form & beyond is the …Run a spur off it, so it is useful in its current form & beyond is the logic I was pointing at.

Ahhh possibly... Didn't pick up on that. My apologies
Mr_Gus12/01/2020 14:36

Run a spur off it, so it is useful in its current form & beyond is the …Run a spur off it, so it is useful in its current form & beyond is the logic I was pointing at.

Bathroom is classed as a special location in Part P of the building regs so Op will need a professional for that. Also be aware that shaver sockets are normally wired of the lighting circuit.
paulj4812/01/2020 15:34

Bathroom is classed as a special location in Part P of the building regs …Bathroom is classed as a special location in Part P of the building regs so Op will need a professional for that. Also be aware that shaver sockets are normally wired of the lighting circuit.

Yup, not cheap but adds to what you need & can be worked around in most instances, bearing in mind the "atypical" upper floor location that already has a channel accommodating cable ..bit of usual fiddling for a additional run from the loft off something able to pick up the slack (if applicable).

But yes "wet bathrooms" & all that, my shaving socket is not reliant upon the lighting circuit, but that is not a certainty elsewhere. If the OP is going to chop out bits of their wall then it makes sense to do it in one hit.

OP please remember that depending on the surfaces within your bathroom it may adversely affect sound / carry it elsewhere if hollow walled.. so cup of tea & a bit of wall knocking to get an idea of dot & dab to brick, plaster void, etc.
I have yet to see a shaver socket with a USB, got to be a matter of time.
I'm a big fan of DAB radio (suits me) but my daughter wants her own "schmutter" playing, (streamed or otherwise) so might a simple waterproof USB socket do the trick on the cheap?

Just a thought.
Edited by: "Mr_Gus" 12th Jan
Mr_Gus12/01/2020 16:32

I have yet to see a shaver socket with a USB, got to be a matter of time.

You'll never see a shaver socket with a USB socket, shaver sockets designed for bathrooms like the Op showed in the picture contain an isolation transformer therefore no earth connection to the secondary windings.
& yet you can have a splash proof one on a boat. :/ (usb that is)
paulj4812/01/2020 15:34

Bathroom is classed as a special location in Part P of the building regs …Bathroom is classed as a special location in Part P of the building regs so Op will need a professional for that. Also be aware that shaver sockets are normally wired of the lighting circuit.

Can they also be wired from the socket ring? What's the reason for it being lighting?
skip11213/01/2020 11:37

Can they also be wired from the socket ring? What's the reason for it …Can they also be wired from the socket ring? What's the reason for it being lighting?

The reason they're wired from the lighting circuit is because they're allowed to be, why run a separate larger power cable to a bathroom exclusively for the shaver socket when regulations allow it can to tagged onto the lighting circuit.

Off course it can be wired with the sockets and depending how large the bathroom is you may actually have sockets in there.

Regarding the other comment of power cable for the socket circuit being available in the loft so it can easily to used to add something in the future, very unlikely. In a house where the consumer unit is on the lower floor then upstairs sockets are wired from below within the ground floor ceiling space and then up to the outlets, there's no reason to run the cables all the way to the loft onlt to then bring the cable back down at each outlet.
Edited by: "paulj48" 13th Jan
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions