Unfortunately this deal is no longer valid
Expired

shed

Posted 29th Apr
so i am renting and on contract it does not say shed is included or not,its a general fits all contract but on inventory it says no access and is locked up.

now the shed is in bad condition, slanted in middle roof and paint flaking badly on doors, but its the rubbish inside.

full of rubbish which i have heard from previous tenant just put there when there move out.
so even if have no access , still in garden and worry might get vermin.

i have asked if i remove all rubbish can i have access but was denied probably due to condition of shed, but its a right eye shore in garden and possible acctrction to rats with it full of rubbish.

what are the options
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

33 Comments
If you see a rat, report it to the council, landlord will be forced to sort
deleted1080215
Light a barbecue too close to it? Seriously though tell them you have seen rats, even if you haven't they can't prove otherwise, ask them innocently "if they sort it out or do the council?"

They won't want council involved, so I expect they will sort it out or give you permission to sort it out. Take photos with you (taken on rainy day, and at dusk so it looks bad.) and put things against it so the garden looks cluttered.
Edited by: "deleted1080215" 29th Apr
i asked agent's and there said as you have no acces , cant make them remove rubbish
Your first mistake was signing a tenancy with an agency.
deleted1080215
Pricklerickle29/04/2019 10:41

i asked agent's and there said as you have no acces , cant make them …i asked agent's and there said as you have no acces , cant make them remove rubbish

Tell the agency you are going to ask the council about vermin removal.
deleted108021529/04/2019 11:26

Tell the agency you are going to ask the council about vermin removal.

but there is no vermin , i asked them isn't there a risk there be rats, with all the rubbish, i mean why do there even want the rubbish, just pay for skip and i will shift it for you, but anyway i asked what about the risk and there said well it has doors i.e its not in open
Take a picture and Photoshop a rat into it, then send to council
Is this the same rental place you've moved into recently with the knackered kitchen floor, peeling wallpaper, knackered boiler you can't work etc?
It's the same advise as last time, if it said in the tenancy agreement no access to shed, why didn't you think about it at the time or give a cursory glance at the shed before signing anything. It sounds like you were practising for the London marathon when you viewed the property and just ran through.
MIDURIX6 m ago

Is this the same rental place you've moved into recently with the …Is this the same rental place you've moved into recently with the knackered kitchen floor, peeling wallpaper, knackered boiler you can't work etc? It's the same advise as last time, if it said in the tenancy agreement no access to shed, why didn't you think about it at the time or give a cursory glance at the shed before signing anything. It sounds like you were practising for the London marathon when you viewed the property and just ran through.

when i looked at property it had all the stuff in,as ppl still living there and couldn't exactly test the boiler,and looked all good, never did it mention anything about shed not included, only when i got the inventory,it said no access and when i asked for key's I was told no access, even tho one door isn't locked just full of rubbish, so i only had a house viewing and i thought there would repair what i seen before new ppl moved in, and then on day,it was get sign contract,then get keys, not look around, everything ok, here sign here.

most of it is okay and i am happy with it, i just don't no why there don't wanna get rid of rubbish
i don't mind putting the work in
deleted1080215
Pricklerickle1 h, 4 m ago

but there is no vermin , i asked them isn't there a risk there be rats, …but there is no vermin , i asked them isn't there a risk there be rats, with all the rubbish, i mean why do there even want the rubbish, just pay for skip and i will shift it for you, but anyway i asked what about the risk and there said well it has doors i.e its not in open

Lie. Lie. Lie. Rats don't stand still. They will not come round at night when rats are most active. It's a phone call or two. Do it or not. Your choice.
you have zero option i am afraid. up to the landlord to keep it locked. all you can do is give him an incentive to allow you to use the shed, like saying you will clear the shed and pay for half of a new one or repair of the existing one, that may be enough to tempt him.
what did it say on the marketing/listing? X bed property with shed?
or just X bed property

I'm guessing the latter. If it wasnt listed as being included and you didn't think to ask then you have no-one to blame but yourself for not having access.
esar4 h, 53 m ago

If you see a rat, report it to the council, landlord will be forced to sort

The "Rat" was the landlord!
mutley129/04/2019 13:19

you have zero option i am afraid. up to the landlord to keep it locked. …you have zero option i am afraid. up to the landlord to keep it locked. all you can do is give him an incentive to allow you to use the shed, like saying you will clear the shed and pay for half of a new one or repair of the existing one, that may be enough to tempt him.

i offered to clear shed if i could have access and there said no, Which i reckon due to condition of shed so I don't mind not using shed,i just want rubbish gone from it, as it makes it look like a skip
honeststeveo1 h, 1 m ago

what did it say on the marketing/listing? X bed property with shed?or just …what did it say on the marketing/listing? X bed property with shed?or just X bed propertyI'm guessing the latter. If it wasnt listed as being included and you didn't think to ask then you have no-one to blame but yourself for not having access.

I don't mind not having access, i just don't wanna go in garden and see a shed just full.of rubbish
Pricklerickle29/04/2019 14:34

i offered to clear shed if i could have access and there said no, Which i …i offered to clear shed if i could have access and there said no, Which i reckon due to condition of shed so I don't mind not using shed,i just want rubbish gone from it, as it makes it look like a skip

As it was there before you took the property, you have no grounds to ask the landlord to do anything. If it looks like a skip because of the rubbish inside, and you think that simply removing the rubbish will make it look less than a skip, then you could offer to empty the shed for the landlord but not to have continued access as it is not safe. his objection is your request for continued access as he would held responsible if you got injuries from the shed
mutley129/04/2019 14:42

As it was there before you took the property, you have no grounds to ask …As it was there before you took the property, you have no grounds to ask the landlord to do anything. If it looks like a skip because of the rubbish inside, and you think that simply removing the rubbish will make it look less than a skip, then you could offer to empty the shed for the landlord but not to have continued access as it is not safe. his objection is your request for continued access as he would held responsible if you got injuries from the shed

i shall offer to remove it, quite a lot of rubbish tho, its from when people move out,its just put there.
Pricklerickle29/04/2019 14:44

i shall offer to remove it, quite a lot of rubbish tho, its from when …i shall offer to remove it, quite a lot of rubbish tho, its from when people move out,its just put there.

if i were the landlord, i would be more than happy to allow you to remove the rubbish. it is in his interest that the rubbish is removed. once the rubbish is removed and the shed looks much better, you may be able to persuade him to do something with it.
mutley129/04/2019 15:06

if i were the landlord, i would be more than happy to allow you to remove …if i were the landlord, i would be more than happy to allow you to remove the rubbish. it is in his interest that the rubbish is removed. once the rubbish is removed and the shed looks much better, you may be able to persuade him to do something with it.

that's the plan, i want them to no, i am willing to do work and meet half way, just hard to say that when you go for agency
Pricklerickle29/04/2019 15:11

that's the plan, i want them to no, i am willing to do work and meet half …that's the plan, i want them to no, i am willing to do work and meet half way, just hard to say that when you go for agency

most of the stuff you tell the agency never gets passed on to the landlord. they don't bother unless it is of benefit to them. it is much better when you can discuss issues directly with the landlord so if you have his contact details, try to speak to him directly. he would be more interested in what your plans, and indeed concerns, are than an agency.
mutley129/04/2019 16:10

most of the stuff you tell the agency never gets passed on to the …most of the stuff you tell the agency never gets passed on to the landlord. they don't bother unless it is of benefit to them. it is much better when you can discuss issues directly with the landlord so if you have his contact details, try to speak to him directly. he would be more interested in what your plans, and indeed concerns, are than an agency.

I don't wanna spoke the land lady or feel l like i am going over the agency's and don't have the details, i dont wanna risk not renewing the six month contract
Pricklerickle29/04/2019 16:13

I don't wanna spoke the land lady or feel l like i am going over the …I don't wanna spoke the land lady or feel l like i am going over the agency's and don't have the details, i dont wanna risk not renewing the six month contract

the agency would never give you the landlord's details as they want to keep the business and once you are in contact with the landlord, their services become less valuable to the landlord, who may no longer use them as managing agent in future.

the agency has no power to renew your contract, it is up to the landlord to agree to this. he is unlikely to refuse to renew the contract unless you destroy his property and don't pay the rent. he needs you more than you need him!

the only concern for you if you would like to stay long term and want to make the property a nice place to live by putting in efforts yourself is that the rent will increase when it comes to renewal, to such an extent that you will no longer want to renew. this is less likely if you have a relationship with the landlord directly, who can be persuaded to see how good a tenant you are, so he wants to keep you and won't increase the rent significantly, if at all.
mutley129/04/2019 16:25

the agency would never give you the landlord's details as they want to …the agency would never give you the landlord's details as they want to keep the business and once you are in contact with the landlord, their services become less valuable to the landlord, who may no longer use them as managing agent in future.the agency has no power to renew your contract, it is up to the landlord to agree to this. he is unlikely to refuse to renew the contract unless you destroy his property and don't pay the rent. he needs you more than you need him! the only concern for you if you would like to stay long term and want to make the property a nice place to live by putting in efforts yourself is that the rent will increase when it comes to renewal, to such an extent that you will no longer want to renew. this is less likely if you have a relationship with the landlord directly, who can be persuaded to see how good a tenant you are, so he wants to keep you and won't increase the rent significantly, if at all.

well without the land lord details, i do no there have one or two properties on the same street
Pricklerickle5 m ago

well without the land lord details, i do no there have one or two …well without the land lord details, i do no there have one or two properties on the same street

this is my advice to you as a landlord and as an independent person.

don't put too much effort into making the place a nice place to live until the 6 months contract has been renewed. if i were you, i would only start putting in efforts after you have been there more than a year as then you can get a feel on whether it is a long term place for you and how the landlord deals with contract renewal and rent reviews.
Pricklerickle29/04/2019 16:32

well without the land lord details, i do no there have one or two …well without the land lord details, i do no there have one or two properties on the same street

Do you have a copy of the tenancy? The landlords details should be on there, alternatively pay £3 and get the details from Land Registry
@mutley1 is correct, I’ve said this before you signed the tenancy, don’t put too much effort into fixing the place up until you have a longer term tenancy. I can see that the landlord will be the only person to benefit in the long run with all the upgrades you are doing/sorting.
Toptrumpet29/04/2019 16:59

Do you have a copy of the tenancy? The landlords details should be on …Do you have a copy of the tenancy? The landlords details should be on there, alternatively pay £3 and get the details from Land Registry

if the property is managed by an agent, then the contract will normally only state the agent's details as they are the landlord's representative. it is always good to have direct contact with the landlord, but if the property is managed by an agency, then it is not always certain that the landlord will want to have any contact with the tenants, especially if he has a large portfolio and doesn't have the time or inclination to deal with tenants directly.

however, there is no harm in sounding him out if you can get hold of him. my main concern here is that the contract is only for 6 months, where normally AST are issued for 12 months, so unless the OP had specifically asked for a short contract, things may change after the 6 months is up.
mutley129/04/2019 18:39

if the property is managed by an agent, then the contract will normally …if the property is managed by an agent, then the contract will normally only state the agent's details as they are the landlord's representative. it is always good to have direct contact with the landlord, but if the property is managed by an agency, then it is not always certain that the landlord will want to have any contact with the tenants, especially if he has a large portfolio and doesn't have the time or inclination to deal with tenants directly.however, there is no harm in sounding him out if you can get hold of him. my main concern here is that the contract is only for 6 months, where normally AST are issued for 12 months, so unless the OP had specifically asked for a short contract, things may change after the 6 months is up.

no guarantor so it had to be six months,money up front, lol I am sure both neighbors has there number, lol everyone seen them but me
Pricklerickle29/04/2019 18:43

no guarantor so it had to be six months,money up front, lol I am sure both …no guarantor so it had to be six months,money up front, lol I am sure both neighbors has there number, lol everyone seen them but me

if the others have the landlord's number, then ask them for the number and get in touch with the landlord to introduce yourself. say how enthusiastic you are with the property and that you would like to stay long term and would like to improve the property to make it into a nice home. you are aware that the property is managed by an agency and that you hope they don't mind you being proactive and getting in touch with them to introduce yourself.

no guarantor shouldn't automatically mean a 6 months contract, you could still have had a 12 months contract by paying 6 months up front. when it comes to renewal, if the rent review is agreeable, ask them to issue you with a two year contract as you would like to stay long term, if indeed this is what you want, but at least ask for a 12 months contract.
mutley137 m ago

if the others have the landlord's number, then ask them for the number and …if the others have the landlord's number, then ask them for the number and get in touch with the landlord to introduce yourself. say how enthusiastic you are with the property and that you would like to stay long term and would like to improve the property to make it into a nice home. you are aware that the property is managed by an agency and that you hope they don't mind you being proactive and getting in touch with them to introduce yourself.no guarantor shouldn't automatically mean a 6 months contract, you could still have had a 12 months contract by paying 6 months up front. when it comes to renewal, if the rent review is agreeable, ask them to issue you with a two year contract as you would like to stay long term, if indeed this is what you want, but at least ask for a 12 months contract.

I asked the agency if i could change it too 12 month's but then there said you pay 12 month's up front
mutley138 m ago

if the others have the landlord's number, then ask them for the number and …if the others have the landlord's number, then ask them for the number and get in touch with the landlord to introduce yourself. say how enthusiastic you are with the property and that you would like to stay long term and would like to improve the property to make it into a nice home. you are aware that the property is managed by an agency and that you hope they don't mind you being proactive and getting in touch with them to introduce yourself.no guarantor shouldn't automatically mean a 6 months contract, you could still have had a 12 months contract by paying 6 months up front. when it comes to renewal, if the rent review is agreeable, ask them to issue you with a two year contract as you would like to stay long term, if indeed this is what you want, but at least ask for a 12 months contract.

you sound like A nice landlord 😁
i am gonna expire and mutley can pm if there want
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions