Shed Interior Help

Found 28th Sep 2011
Having just bought and had erected a 12 ft x 8 ft shed for my husbands birthday, he now wants it insulated and lined inside. I have decided to have a go myself when he's away in a few weeks, it can't be that hard can it?? I have experience in building, I once put together a flatpack bookcase with a shoe, hardback book and a knife, so I'm guessing this will be fairly similar.
I was thinking of using loft insulation, but thats itchy so am after suggestions of what else I could use, then what do I use to actually line the shed with?
Any help / advice appreciated
Community Updates
MiscShed
22 Comments
Polystyrene insulation sheets are good, they are easy to cut and fit, then for lining some hardboard

Polystyrene sheets/boards @ WickesMore choice here

Hardboard sheets @ wickes

You will need some timbers fastened in the corners and the middle of the longer sides the same thickness as your insulation so as you can affix the hardboard sheets
(you may get away with no nails type stuff but for the few quid the timber will cost its not worth scrimping.

Good luck as its nothing like flatpack where everything is ready measured and cut

Edited by: "harlzter" 28th Sep 2011
will you marry me!! all i got was some chocolate and socks
You should take the blue peter route and use scrunched up newspaper and sticky back plastic. Paint it as you go, while drunk of course to make it more interesting and tell him it's art nouveua.
Hissy Miss

You should take the blue peter route and use scrunched up newspaper and … You should take the blue peter route and use scrunched up newspaper and sticky back plastic. Paint it as you go, while drunk of course to make it more interesting and tell him it's art nouveua.

Strangely I was thinking of using egg boxes for insulation, but the amount of eggs I'd have to eat in the next 3 weeks would have a dramatic effect on my bowels

At this rate I think it would've been cheaper to divorce him
Hissy Miss

You should take the blue peter route and use scrunched up newspaper and … You should take the blue peter route and use scrunched up newspaper and sticky back plastic. Paint it as you go, while drunk of course to make it more interesting and tell him it's art nouveua.

wishihadadonkey

Strangely I was thinking of using egg boxes for insulation, but the … Strangely I was thinking of using egg boxes for insulation, but the amount of eggs I'd have to eat in the next 3 weeks would have a dramatic effect on my bowels :DAt this rate I think it would've been cheaper to divorce him

The world is full of broken Xbox consoles... this may be a cheaper option than buying insulating materials.

[EDIT]: Broken/faulty PS3 & Wii consoles also exist; just in case this thread topic turns into something else; sorry [/EDIT]
Edited by: "fanpages" 28th Sep 2011
Yeah I just noticed it's quite a big one. Did your hubby tell you the size or did you measure it yourself?

I've noticed that men tend to add a few inches when it comes to erections such as this.
Hissy Miss

I've noticed that men tend to add a few inches when it comes to erections … I've noticed that men tend to add a few inches when it comes to erections such as this.

It helps their partners to park properly (rather than having a porking failure).
ha ha I'd heard the opposite, I'd heard they crash more often as men keep telling them this
is 6 inches.
aww, that didn't post right, no matter.
you can get non itch loft insulation
I think I might need some more tools
wishihadadonkey

I think I might need some more tools

Normally you would have no trouble attracting plenty of tools to a misc thread.

..Yes I know I am wide open on this one. oO
ding

you can get non itch loft insulation

Dont use loft insulation, if water does get in this will soak it up like a sponge and being enclosed will not dry properly leading to mold and rot
I have a huge erection.

Obviously it's much bigger than yours and isn't a shed (it's a log cabin). In the past week or so I've been looking into getting it insulated, but the manufacturers suggested apart from the roof or floor, it doesn't need it. (find that a bit hard to believe tbh!) Anyway, I was looking at eBay item 280697966682 (astrosafe) as the cheapest / most efficient option. Obviously it should be boarded over with a 25mm air gap as well. Anything less and I don't think its worth doing.

Getting the electrics done in the next 2 weekends.... Yet another £500 sobs gone! (SWA cable alone was £125 in a real good deal!)...... and the funny thing..... I'm doing it all myself and paying £160 to an electrician to certify it. I wished I got paid £160 for a couple of hours and nothing really to do...... Oh wait... X)
harlzter

Polystyrene insulation sheets are good, they are easy to cut and fit, … Polystyrene insulation sheets are good, they are easy to cut and fit, then for lining some hardboardPolystyrene sheets/boards @ Wickes More choice hereHardboard sheets @ wickesYou will need some timbers fastened in the corners and the middle of the longer sides the same thickness as your insulation so as you can affix the hardboard sheets(you may get away with no nails type stuff but for the few quid the timber will cost its not worth scrimping.Good luck as its nothing like flatpack where everything is ready measured and cut

You will get a better insulation if you leave an air gap.
guv

I have a huge erection.I keep telling people you are a fine upstanding … I have a huge erection.I keep telling people you are a fine upstanding member X)Obviously it's much bigger than yours and isn't a shed (it's a log cabin). In the past week or so I've been looking into getting it insulated, but the manufacturers suggested apart from the roof or floor, it doesn't need it. (find that a bit hard to believe tbh!) Anyway, I was looking at eBay item 280697966682 (astrosafe) as the cheapest / most efficient option. Obviously it should be boarded over with a 25mm air gap as well. Anything less and I don't think its worth doing.Getting the electrics done in the next 2 weekends.... Yet another £500 sobs gone! (SWA cable alone was £125 in a real good deal!)...... and the funny thing..... I'm doing it all myself and paying £160 to an electrician to certify it. I wished I got paid £160 for a couple of hours and nothing really to do...... Oh wait... X)

I think this may be beyond my capabilities, I was thinking of buying a battery pushlight
wishihadadonkey

I think this may be beyond my capabilities, I was thinking of buying a … I think this may be beyond my capabilities, I was thinking of buying a battery pushlight

Looking at the order.... £80 for the parts is to do with the under cabinet lighting in my finally finished kitchen, so a bit of an exaggeration. However, it does include it's own 5 way MCB consumer unit, ring with 4 internal double sockets and 1 double masterswitch external. Radial with timer to external double masterswitch. (so it will have it's icicle lights on a timer near Xmas.) ring for internal and external lighting with PIR. Then out of the cabin into the workshop behind for an additional pair of double sockets and lighting via another 5 metres of armoured cable. Actually... I didn't include the cost of the masterswitch IP66 sockets or PIR lighting... So figure was right after all.

guv

Looking at the order.... £80 for the parts is to do with the under … Looking at the order.... £80 for the parts is to do with the under cabinet lighting in my finally finished kitchen, so a bit of an exaggeration. However, it does include it's own 5 way MCB consumer unit, ring with 4 internal double sockets and 1 double masterswitch external. Radial with timer to external double masterswitch. (so it will have it's icicle lights on a timer near Xmas.) ring for internal and external lighting with PIR. Then out of the cabin into the workshop behind for an additional pair of double sockets and lighting via another 5 metres of armoured cable. Actually... I didn't include the cost of the masterswitch IP66 sockets or PIR lighting... So figure was right after all.

yessss, was thinking more of my wiring skills, the last time I wired a circuit I set the physics lab on fire at school oO

I dont have a saw, do you think an electric carving knife would do the trick?
WIHAD, Shed, Erection, Noise Prevention hmmmmm sounds a bit suspect to me !
Nailez

WIHAD, Shed, Erection, Noise Prevention hmmmmm sounds a bit suspect to me … WIHAD, Shed, Erection, Noise Prevention hmmmmm sounds a bit suspect to me !

It's really my new dominatrix business, but I'm not allowed to self promote as per site rules

BUSTED!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants