Sheds: Metal / Plastic or Wood

Found 18th Feb
Hi.

My current shed is rotting away in the back garden and is probably gonna fall apart any day now. The wife wants us to get a wood shed because it will "look nice". I want a shed that isn't going to leak or fall apart in 10 years.

What do people recommend ?

It's going to store the usual garden junk plus a couple of bicycles.
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
I was always tempted with a metal one as thought it would last a longer time.

However I've heard too many stories about condensation inside so the roof is all wet, so when you close the door you get soaked inside!

Not sure if there are some out there that don't have that problem tho
deleted1545998
yikes that doesn't sound good. since i'll be storing my powertools in there i don't want em going rusty.
although the ones I looked at did seem to have ventelation
Decent wooden shed everytime, plastic sweats so stuff in side will get damp, and metal is very hot and imo noisy when is windy - our neighbour has one and it drives me mad.
deleted1545998
bluetba33 s ago

Decent wooden shed everytime, plastic sweats so stuff in side will get …Decent wooden shed everytime, plastic sweats so stuff in side will get damp, and metal is very hot and imo noisy when is windy - our neighbour has one and it drives me mad.

wow hadn't considered they might be noisy. thanks for the tip.
deleted154599818th Feb

wow hadn't considered they might be noisy. thanks for the tip.

Wooden shed bricks under it and a good paint that protects from weather and good felt for the roof our garden shed 15 years plus and still stands strong
What do people recommend ?

Ignoring the Wife
deleted1545998
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell3 m ago

What do people recommend ?Ignoring the Wife

lol yeah that will go down well
I've been looking at tiger sheds and their wood sheds look reasonable. Would prefer tanalised but it's steep
We have a wooden shed and metal. I don't keep anything in the metal shed I care about as everything gets wet through. It does have ventilation but still gets wet.
deleted1545998
ScubaDudes13 m ago

We have a wooden shed and metal. I don't keep anything in the metal shed I …We have a wooden shed and metal. I don't keep anything in the metal shed I care about as everything gets wet through. It does have ventilation but still gets wet.

Thanks. General consensus (also among friends I've spoken to) seems to be wood. Thanks everyone for your comments. Wood one it is.
Wood does look nice and take care of it it will last. Mine is nearly 18 years old though it wasn't a cheap one. It looks great though I paint it every two years and I re-felted it for the second time last summer. The other advantage is that you can put shelves and hooks up for your tools etc. I even put down old carpet tiles from work and it's now well cosy
sheds.co.uk/6-x…wcB

We've got this, it looks great and is an all weather shed. Only downside is it's a pain in the backside to put together. I would highly recommend it!
My neighbour bought one of the Costco plastic Ketter sheds, It looked good but assume it wasn't anchored properly, as after a storm, the roof was in my garden and the walls in the neighbours.
deleted1597344
I’m in the market for a shed, but will be building my own from timber. Not impressed by off the shelf sheds as they are usually built very cheaply and the timber just will not last.

Build your own is my advice.
Edited by: "deleted1597344" 18th Feb
deleted1545998
Plastic sheds were something I was looking into but a neighbour told me not to bother as his warped in the summer sun and the colours faded quite a bit.

Building your own sounds fun, unfortunately I seem to be physically incapable of cutting wood properly with my circular saw something I can build from a kit is probably more up my street but it's a good idea.
deleted1597344
deleted154599818th Feb

Plastic sheds were something I was looking into but a neighbour told me …Plastic sheds were something I was looking into but a neighbour told me not to bother as his warped in the summer sun and the colours faded quite a bit. Building your own sounds fun, unfortunately I seem to be physically incapable of cutting wood properly with my circular saw something I can build from a kit is probably more up my street but it's a good idea.

Lots of very good videos on YouTube I’m sure if you go steady it will be fine. Remember measure twice, cut once and you will be fine

If it’s not really doing if for you hopefully someone here can suggest a decent off the shelf kit, I’m sure they exist but the price may well be at a premium.
Metal can be a nightmare to put up and they will rust. go with wood but give it a chance by coating it in something before erection and covering the back and side decent plastic sheeting. You can also add plastic sheeting to the roof underside. I think our shed had lasted 15 years before we move. I had recovered the roof over the existing felt about five years before and the back did have holes in. Mind it was cheap as chips :-)
Go for wood, try and find one made from larch.
If your budget allows you could look at these costco.co.uk/vie…575 Its a composite of wood/plastic. Looks very wood like, doesn't rot like wood, doesn't warp like plastic, bugs don't like it either so stays pretty clear of those other than the odd spider. I got one 2 years back and its as good as new so far.
I just wanted something maintenaicne free and this fit the bill perfectly.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants