Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

Shenmue 3 review embargo - should we be worried?

Posted 18th Nov
Shenmue 3 is finally due to be released on Nov 19 (tomorrow! ) and I for one am very excited for it.

However news has landed that a review embargo is in place until launch day and, in some regions, a full two days after launch with embargo being lifted Nov 21 (not sure how that works in this Internet age where information is freely available).

Should we be worried or doesn't it mean anything?

I can't see Shenmue 3 bringing in new fans anyway as it seems to be catered purely towards existing fans of the series and staying faithful to the source material which I'm all for.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

5 Comments
I’m personally not interested in Shenmue, but there have been embargoes with both Death Stranding and Jedi Fallen Order and I have zero issues with either game.
joeydeacon18/11/2019 11:19

I’m personally not interested in Shenmue, but there have been embargoes w …I’m personally not interested in Shenmue, but there have been embargoes with both Death Stranding and Jedi Fallen Order and I have zero issues with either game.

Yes that's true, they both reviewed well (Death Stranding a bit more polarising maybe). Perhaps as much to do with avoiding spoilers these days as it is a reflection of quality... At least for some games.
I loved the original games, I remember seeing the previews of Shenmue and hearing how it was one of the most ambitious (and biggest budget) games ever and then finally playing it on release on Dreamcast. I was blown away by it, working my way through the village and then playing Shenmue 2 on the Xbox a couple of years later. But as much as I loved those games I really think that it's moment might have passed. When you look at the scope, detail, branching narratives, and sheer technical ability and beauty of Detroit: Become Human I'm worried that Shenmue 3 is going to play and look very dated. When you've got a good 18 years of expectation behind this game there's no way it can measure up to what we've been hyping it up to be in our minds, but hopefully it can be an entertaining game in its own right. But for me it's not the reveiew embargo that I find a little unsettling, it's the almost complete lack of real-time gameplay in the last trailer that worries me the most.
Haircut_10018/11/2019 12:56

I loved the original games, I remember seeing the previews of Shenmue and …I loved the original games, I remember seeing the previews of Shenmue and hearing how it was one of the most ambitious (and biggest budget) games ever and then finally playing it on release on Dreamcast. I was blown away by it, working my way through the village and then playing Shenmue 2 on the Xbox a couple of years later. But as much as I loved those games I really think that it's moment might have passed. When you look at the scope, detail, branching narratives, and sheer technical ability and beauty of Detroit: Become Human I'm worried that Shenmue 3 is going to play and look very dated. When you've got a good 18 years of expectation behind this game there's no way it can measure up to what we've been hyping it up to be in our minds, but hopefully it can be an entertaining game in its own right. But for me it's not the reveiew embargo that I find a little unsettling, it's the almost complete lack of real-time gameplay in the last trailer that worries me the most.

It does appear it will be a somewhat old school game judging by this article.

eurogamer.net/art…int
Looking forward to it for sure, regardless of review, played 1 and 2 back in the day so i guess it's purely nostalgia

Regarding the two day review embargo for some places, they are now saying (Deep Silver) that it was a miscommunication and all reviews are on release day globally.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants