Found 24th Mar 2010
Hi all,

I've recently had some mosquito bite like spots near my chest and ribs, and I have now been told they are shingles so I have been given some tablets. But i wanted to know if any of you or someone you know has had them and what causes them and are they contagious ?

Thanks
James

ps, I know i can use google but I have tried and all the varied answers annoy me

1. Misc
Groups
  1. Misc
23 Comments

Banned

en.wikipedia.org/wik…ter

wont be so biased, most sites want to sell something

it says

The symptoms of herpes zoster cannot be transmitted to another person.[21] However, during the blister phase, direct contact with the rash can spread VZV to a person who has no immunity to the virus

Banned

Hope you get better soon.

Not nice.

Original Poster

jubbyme;8196538

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_zosterwont be so biased, most sites … http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herpes_zosterwont be so biased, most sites want to sell somethingit saysThe symptoms of herpes zoster cannot be transmitted to another person.[21] However, during the blister phase, direct contact with the rash can spread VZV to a person who has no immunity to the virus

Cheers haha, out of all the places I looked on I failed to look at Wikipedia

ah, no i am almost sure you are not contagious. its often brought on by stress btw.

hope you're better soon

Original Poster

DLM;8196569

Hope you get better soon.Not nice.

Thanks, Skiing on Tuesday ... this time its not on the crappy English dry slopes goign Les Angles in the South of France.

Have you had shingles before then ?

Banned

I too read about the stress, I also hope you are better soon

Original Poster

owens101;8196657

ah, no i am almost sure you are not contagious. its often brought on by … ah, no i am almost sure you are not contagious. its often brought on by stress btw.hope you're better soon

Cheers for that :), I've heard it's brought on by stress too.. but I'm not even stress ha, well I might be but I don't feel stressed maybe this is just my bodies way of saying that I am

Supermod

Shingles arent contagious but chicken pox are.

You cannot have shingles until you have had chicken pox as the cause of shingles lays dormant and can be triggered unexpectedly.

...or so my doctor told me at Christmas...

Banned

james_lfc;8196659

Thanks, Skiing on Tuesday ... this time its not on the crappy English … Thanks, Skiing on Tuesday ... this time its not on the crappy English dry slopes goign Les Angles in the South of France. Have you had shingles before then ?

My uncle had them and he became quite ill.

Have a great time on the slopes.

You lucky thing :thumbsup:

i was told to keep away from anyone who may be pregnant too !! i think it stems from the chicken pox virus i.e. you have to have had that to get shingles. i have had shingles twice now and it seems to come when i am run down/stressed/extremely busy. Hope you dont feel too bad as it can be nasty - the anti-viral stuff can help but only if you get it early enough - otherwise i dont think they are much help get well soon xx

Banned

magicjay1986;8196690

Shingles arent contagious but chicken pox are. You cannot have shingles … Shingles arent contagious but chicken pox are. You cannot have shingles until you have had chicken pox as the cause of shingles lays dormant and can be triggered unexpectedly....or so my doctor told me at Christmas...

I hope I never get it.

Banned

tregs;8196742

NHS http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Shingles/Pages/Risks.aspx

much better link than my wiki one! wiki is like verbal diarrhoea, with no clear answers :thumbsup:

Original Poster

Cheers everyone,repped

I had shingels back in 2006 when my son was 18 months old. It was pretty nasty so I feel for you. I gave my son chicken pox. You can definitely pass on chicken pox to someone if you have shingles, but you cannot give someone else shingles.
I did feel pretty bad giving my own son chicken pox!!!

Had them when I was about 12years old, they reckon i got them through swimming, when i done this alot.

They gave me some stuff with a brush that stank like rotten fish and burned when it was stuck on it was not very nice.

Banned

philmitchell;8197001

Had them when I was about 12years old, they reckon i got them through … Had them when I was about 12years old, they reckon i got them through swimming, when i done this alot.They gave me some stuff with a brush that stank like rotten fish and burned when it was stuck on it was not very nice.

sounds more like your parents just wanted to be mean to you! :?
Mine kept giving me that pink penicillin stuff to drink, i hated the taste of that stuff SO much

Supermod

DLM;8196733

I hope I never get it.

It isnt nice :x

mumbojumbo;8196672

It's the chicken pox virus which you had as a kid. It lies dormant in … It's the chicken pox virus which you had as a kid. It lies dormant in your nerves and flares up as shingles when your immunity is low - when you have a cold or flu for instance.EDIT: You are infectious in the sense that you can pass on chicken pox, but not pass on shingles.

+1

i get it often was a worry at 1st but once i knew what they were wasnt to fussed as they aint that bad

unless youre old can become a problem them

Banned

magicjay1986;8197092

It isnt nice :x

I bet.

I hope you didn't suffer for too long.

Original Poster

Just in case your interested, I was given FamVir 250mg, 3 tablets a day for a total of 7 days.

Thanks again everyone

rep to the other helpers

I know two people who have had this recently - they were proper poorly so I hope you feel better soon. I was told that the virus affects your nerve endings which is why it's so painful, plus the open blister type sores. Ouch!
The sooner it is diagnosed the better, and the friend who got it this month felt a bit better after about 6 days of the meds, but he had it so bad that any improvement was very noticable and appreciated.
Get well soon.

I had shingles on my back when I was erm... in Year 9 secondary school, maybe younger I don't remember.

ANYWAY, had an itch on my back throughout the school day only to come home and see a rash on my back which turned out to be shingles.

Went to the doc, gave some liquid in a small bottle and brush to apply on the area (not sure what it done) and was told to stay home until the rash was gone (which at the time was like a golden ticket).

The doctor also advised me to use my own towel (we didn't bother and no one in my family caught shingles lol) when taking a shower to prevent spreading it to my family and dab the rash area to prevent the affected skin area to peel off early and cause scarring.

Was a pretty minor experience, at no point did I feel unwell throughout the whole thing, if anything I got pretty bored being at home all day.

I did have a small skin discoloured patch to where the shingles rash was though.

Get well soon and hope your experience with shingles is as pleasant and minor as my own. :thumbsup:
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769402
    2. What's you favourite 60s 70s 80s song ?983235
    3. Without giving away your age, name three things that remind you of when you…4497
    4. 5 Letter Scrabble Game52322856

See more discussions