Shipping Lithium Batteries as a one off.

Posted 4th Jan
Hey, it's a bit of a longshot, but long story short I have sold my Xiaomi 4K Drone that I don't use anymore on eBay, but still have a brand new spare battery to sell. It appears that it's close to impossible to ship lithium batteries within UK. Has anybody come across the experience in the past and is there any courier company I can possibly use?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Someone must do otherwise how are the stores going to get them in
No ones gonna find out
If it’s out of factory packaging then TNT are the only courier who will handle li-ion batteries. They charge circa £32 each way for shipping. Crazy that no other companies will handle them!

If it’s within factory packaging then most couriers will accept as the battery is guaranteed to be within ‘sleep’ status - providing the battery has a BMS.
I buy lithium batteries quite often (18650 size) and they come usually by royal mail, but I obviously don't know what they declare to royal mail, however they come in a cheap plastic protective box like this
39584192.jpg
Edit - just checked they are li-ion batteries not lithium
Edited by: "Douglas_Birks" 4th Jan
As per Douglas_Birks words; you almost certainly have a Li-ion (rechargeable) battery, not a single use Lithium battery

Why don't shippers like Li-ion? Because mainly cheap versions, but also some reputable versions, do this with little or no warning
39585027-5i7Ie.jpg
Why don't you sell face too face on sites such as Gumtree or Facebook.
MynameisM04/01/2020 14:38

Why don't you sell face too face on sites such as Gumtree or Facebook.

I’ll try but it’s a niche product and I am therefore not sure I will be able to.
ccnp04/01/2020 09:54

As per Douglas_Birks words; you almost certainly have a Li-ion …As per Douglas_Birks words; you almost certainly have a Li-ion (rechargeable) battery, not a single use Lithium batteryWhy don't shippers like Li-ion? Because mainly cheap versions, but also some reputable versions, do this with little or no warning[Image]

I mean you don't walk down the street and see random phones on fire. It normally only happens if they're mistreated.
I’ve bought many iPhone batteries. They are lithium. Sellers normally tend to use hermes.
Lithium batteries can be shipped by registered businesses who have an agreement in place to ship & adhere to the relevant leigslation etc. ie Amazon can ship batteries as they agree to ship in specific packaging, with relevant legislative warnings on the packagaing.

Consumers shipping them is a different matter. No UK based courier I found will accept them - I bought the wrong laptop battery from Amazon and they refunded me the full amount and told me to keep the item as they couldnt arrange for it to be sent back, and I couldnt use a courier.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions