"Shire Beds" or "Latex Sense": Are their mattresses any good?

Found 26th Aug 2015
I am looking to buy a king sized pocket sprung mattress in the next week and have come across the Yorkshire based company "Shire Beds". Specifically I'm looking at their higher end models in the Eco range and was wondering if anybody had had any experience with their products? I can't audition the beds anywhere locally so would like to know if they are worth pursuing as an option or should I end my interest here...?
On paper the mattresses look good but their own website doesn't give much more than the basic specs. I've trawled the web but can find precious little about them so if you have bought any of their products (doesn't need to be from the Eco range), could you let me know if you found them comfortable, durable, good value for money etc?

I'm also intrigued by the Latex pocket sprung mattresses by "Latex Sense". I'd love to know if your experience of them would back up the glowing testimonials they seem to have on Trust Pilot.

Thanks in advance, much obliged.
Community Updates
AskBedMattress
56 Comments
I'm in a similar situation, looking for a new mattress in Norfolk, and Latex Sense has also caught my eye. I can't say The Shire Bed Company has though, and looking on their website they don't appear to be anything special. What attracts you to them compared to other mid-high end conventional filling mattress manufacturers that are easier to see such as VI Spring, Hypnos and Harrisons?

Mattressman have the shire bed company on their website but I don't know if they have any of the ones you're interested in on show in their stores. https://www.mattressman.co.uk/mattresses/king-size/shire-beds/?listingtype=1&manufacturerid=17
I do seem to remember they had some of their models on show in the Roundtree Way Norwich showroom but I'm not certain and I couldn't tell you which ones.

Latex pocket sprung mattresses generally seem fairly common. I've found World of Beds in Norwich and BestPriceBeds in Harleston (near Diss) have been the best place to look at latex mattresses. Both had full latex mattresses and pocket sprung ones. I haven't found a great deal of difference between the two personally although I am wondering how much less time a pocket sprung version will last. BestPriceBeds also had Relaxsan's Waterlattex model with is a mix of latex and some sort of foam (PU? SBR?) which I tried today and found to be an interesting mattress, it has the spring of latex, but it was a fairly firm mattress. It is £430 which seems close to the 'real thing' - albeit not at that thickness - but is is turnable which should help it's durability.

I'm in a similar situation, looking for a new mattress in Norfolk, and … I'm in a similar situation, looking for a new mattress in Norfolk, and Latex Sense has also caught my eye.

Thanks for the comprehensive reply EndlessWaves. I'm going to be heading into Norwich tomorrow myself to hit the showrooms and [probably] make a decision on a mattress. The Shire Bed company originally caught my eye because on paper they seem to be offering mattresses made from materials usually only found in much pricier products (high spring count/ natural wool / mohair / horsehair / silk / cashmere). Furthermore, the price seemed right as I could get the king size "Eco Snug" for £405 (http://www.onlinebedshop.co.uk/eco-shire-eco-snug-mattress.htm) and the top of the range "Eco Grand" for £559 from Bedstar (with a discount code).
I haven't been able to find out if those premium ingredients are present in any kind of meaningful quantities though but I did discover that their Latex Shire 2000 has only a 20mm layer of latex in it so they may not be as luxurious as they are purporting to be after all (I understand that their "Active Latex" pocket sprung matresses have 40mm of natural latex in them but they are more expensive).

So I think on reflection that Shire Beds may no longer be in the equation. Latex Sense on the other hand, I emailed last night giving them my weight and sleeping info and asked them for some recommendations for their products. They have been great so far and very professional. I have exchanged 3 emails throughout the course of the day, my last reply came well after business hours and I have found them to be very helpful. I am (or at least was) pretty set on a pocket sprung mattress with a latex layer. "Healthbeds" have impressed me with their latex pocket models. They've been comfortable, seem well put together and use high quality Talalay latex in them. The "Latex Sense" models I have been looking at (Sensation 2000, Vitality 2000) appear to be better specced though for less money and that 10 year warranty is a nice bonus.
However...being the thrifty old miser that I am, I have been considering the longevity of springs over solid latex myself. Whilst being more expensive, if the product won't deteriorate significantly for 15,20 or maybe 30 years then it may be a better investment to spend a bit now and 'put the matter to bed' indefinitely (apologies :p). This seems even more attractive when a lot of what I read tells me that pocket springs and latex is good but 100% latex is better...

The problem is that I have never tested an all latex mattress, let alone one of their products so I have a plan. I'm going to Norwich tomorrow and I'll audition some more beds, mainly pocket sprung models. I'm also going to try some all latex mattresses (Dunlopillo for example) and see if I can get on with the solid approach (I never liked 100% memory foam beds and so I'm probably harbouring some prejudice against the 100% latex option).
If I actually like the solid latex approach, then I'll [probably] place an order with Latex Sense for one of their slabs. If I don't, and I also don't find anything better specced for less money than their 2000 spring Sensation/Vitality models then I'll [probably] give one of those a whirl instead.

Just to let you know, if you were thinking of ordering from Latex Sense, I checked their return policy today. If you want to exchange your mattress within the cooling off period for a different model, then you can do that once. If you want to send it back for a refund, then it will cost you £50 (for a king sized mattress). Seems fair enough but I wanted to make sure what my liability would be if I didn't like the bed.

Edited by: "Mghf" 27th Aug 2015
Mghf

I haven't been able to find out if those premium ingredients are present … I haven't been able to find out if those premium ingredients are present in any kind of meaningful quantities though but I did discover that their Latex Shire 2000 has only a 20mm layer of latex in it so they may not be as luxurious as they are purporting to be after all (I understand that their "Active Latex" pocket sprung matresses have 40mm of natural latex in them but they are more expensive).

The most luxurious (soft and fluffy) non-latex models I've found are The Lay-z-boy models, Carpetright's Lorenzo and the Heathopedic Zero Gravity 1000. Given their similarity I suspect they're probably all made by the same company, Highgate beds. They go for circa £400-500. Leesons on Roundtree road has the La-Z-Boy models and I saw the Heathopedic Zero Gravity 1000 in Diss Bed Centre but Mattressman also lists it on their website so they may have it in their prince of wales road or headquarters stores which I haven't visited.

I've no idea what they'd be like for durability though and the only ones with more traditional fillings I've found convincing (i.e. comfortable without feeling the springs) at that sort of price are the firmer ones, although I'm sure they'd soften slightly over time.

Mghf

However...being the thrifty old miser that I am, I have been considering … However...being the thrifty old miser that I am, I have been considering the longevity of springs over solid latex myself. Whilst being more expensive, if the product won't deteriorate significantly for 15,20 or maybe 30 years then it may be a better investment to spend a bit now and 'put the matter to bed' indefinitely (apologies :p). This seems even more attractive when a lot of what I read tells me that pocket springs and latex is good but 100% latex is better...

There doesn't seem to be much information around about it but from what I've gathered Latex tends to deteriorate due to moisture and ultra-violet so the cover (and climate?) presumably makes a big difference in it's lifespan. I've had an latex pillow for the last ten years or so and that's quite significantly deteriorated due to moisture and the case falling apart, although it is still comfortable despite the dip in the middle and the crumbling foam. It did come from Argos though, so it wouldn't have been any great shakes quality-wise.

Basically my thinking is that a cheaper all latex mattress will probably need to be opened and checked occasionally (every few months?) for the first few years to make sure the cover is doing it's job and might incur the additional cost of a new cover or mattress protector if it isn't.

Mghf

The problem is that I have never tested an all latex mattress, let alone … The problem is that I have never tested an all latex mattress, let alone one of their products so I have a plan. I'm going to Norwich tomorrow and I'll audition some more beds, mainly pocket sprung models. I'm also going to try some all latex mattresses (Dunlopillo for example) and see if I can get on with the solid approach (I never liked 100% memory foam beds and so I'm probably harbouring some prejudice against the 100% latex option).

I don't think there's ever been a solid memory foam mattress. Even the very expensive tempur ones are half memory foam on top and half normal foam underneath.

That aside aside, :D, latex does have much more spring on it's own than memory foam so if that why you've disliked all foam mattresses in the last it's much less of an issue on latex foam.

Although do beware of the firmer Latex mattresses like Dunlopillo's Firmrest as I found it quite a bit different to the softer version of it (diamond?) when I got a chance to try them side by side (John Doe of Diss).

Mghf

If I actually like the solid latex approach, then I'll [probably] place … If I actually like the solid latex approach, then I'll [probably] place an order with Latex Sense for one of their slabs. If I don't, and I also don't find anything better specced for less money than their 2000 spring Sensation/Vitality models then I'll [probably] give one of those a whirl instead.

Let us know what you end up with please. I'll probably be considering the softer (and £200 cheaper) Vitality 1000 model myself if I went pocket sprung but I'd be very interested in which showroom model you found the one you ordered to be most like.

There doesn't seem to be much information around about it but from what … There doesn't seem to be much information around about it but from what I've gathered Latex tends to deteriorate due to moisture and ultra-violet so the cover (and climate?) presumably makes a big difference in it's lifespan

I think that you're right regarding the question of moisture. I believe I read on the Latex Sense site something to that effect but I can't for the life of me find the reference now. That hopefully won't be an issue though as I have already bought a waterproof/breathable mattress protector, which will be going straight onto whichever product I buy next. As for UV, I'm assuming that being under bedclothes and not in direct sunlight should mitigate any potential problem...?
The crumbling latex in your pillow may have been a moisture problem, it may also have been manufactured from a synthetic latex which according to what I've read in the last couple of weeks, synthetics can be prone to do. It could have course been something else entirely because I really don't know what I'm talking about X)

I don't think there's ever been a solid memory foam mattress. Even the … I don't think there's ever been a solid memory foam mattress. Even the very expensive tempur ones are half memory foam on top and half normal foam underneath.

Again, I'm sure you are probably right and I stand corrected, I should have said an all foam mattress. Anyway, I did make it into town yesterday (Salhouse Road/Rowntree Way area) and visited Mattress Man, Furniture Land, Dreams, Bensons Beds (upstairs at Harveys) as well as World of Beds (Curtis Road). During my travels I found two relatively cheap Hypnos pocket sprung mattresses with conventional fillings that I could have quite easily lived with but also I managed to track down a number of pocket sprung/latex hybrids as well as a pair of Dunlopillo beds (Firmrest and Royal Sovereign in World of Beds), which was really the object of the exercise.
Of the spring/latex models that I tried, the Healthbeds Ultra 2000 was nice and a bit of a step up from the Genoa that Homebase are selling. The Highgate Beds Longleat 1500 was a bit softer but still had plenty of support and I'm sure that either of those mattresses would have made a sound purchase in their own right. Inevitably though the prices were higher and the specs lower than the online offerings from Latex Sense as they only had 50mm of latex in them and beyond being "50mm of latex", I have no idea what the quality of that material was whereas the Yanis Vitality 1000 (for example) has 50mm of 85/15 natural talalay, the Vitality 2000, 80mm of the same and both cost less than the shop models. I'll admit though that had I not been aware of the online options, then I may well have forked out for a king sized Healthbeds Ultra 2000 yesterday, well maybe not yesterday...I'd have prevaricated, come home, slept on it for a couple of days and then found a better price for them to match, but you take my point
I didn't have the opportunity to test the Dunlopillo Diamond as they didn't have one in the showroom but I found the Firmrest to be softer than I was expecting. I know it is classed as "firm" but I think that the model name is a bit of a misnoma and whilst I found it perfectly acceptable, it didn't blow me away and I'd have rather bought an £800 conventional pocket sprung mattress and trousered the £600 difference thank you very much. The Royal Sovereign though was an altogether different beast. I thought it was in a word...gorgeous! Rated as a medium it wasn't too soft, it just had the right amount of 'give' in it [for me] and I'm sure that had I bought it, I'd enjoy it for many years to come. The price was too high of course. After a couple of minutes searching online I found it for £1500 in a king size and until the end of the month you can upgrade to the "Millennium" model for the same price (24cm thick core vs the 21cm Royal Sov.), I did really like it though. http://www.bestpricebeds.co.uk/dunlopillo-millennium-mattress-24cm-pid5282.html

This has prompted me to go down the 100% latex route so this afternoon I sent an email to the Latex people, giving them a detailed list of my requirements and my experience with the Dunlopillo and have asked them for a recommendation that would best suit my needs. I appreciate that whatever product is recommended won't be the same as the Dunlopillo, it may be worse but then again it may be better. I have convinced myself though that now is as good a time to at least give it a chance and if I really don't like it, I'll send it back and be £50 poorer.

Let us know what you end up with please. I'll probably be considering the … Let us know what you end up with please. I'll probably be considering the softer (and £200 cheaper) Vitality 1000 model myself if I went pocket sprung but I'd be very interested in which showroom model you found the one you ordered to be most like.

As I'm not going to be getting the pocket sprung model anymore I won't be able to offer you any practical help in your choice of mattress. I will report back however and let you know how the sales experience went just in case you do decide to order from them.
Best of luck with your search!

Edited by: "Mghf" 30th Aug 2015

I believe I read on the Latex Sense site something to that effect but I … I believe I read on the Latex Sense site something to that effect but I can't for the life of me find the reference now.

Found it.
"The mattress must be kept dry. If there is a risk of accidents with fluids, please use a waterproofed mattress protector.
If you spill something on your mattress and it gets wet, wipe the liquid with a cloth, remove the cover and air the mattress core till it is dry. You can then use the mattress again."

Edited by: "Mghf" 30th Aug 2015
We had the same problem a couple of years ago. Husband would wake in agony with shoulder pain and we tried a couple of mattresses before discovering a latex topped mattress in Bensons. It was out of our budget so we did some investigation at home. We came across a company called Yanis Mattresses in North London and we went down and ended up buying a latex topper for £300. What we really wanted was a latex mattress that felt like you were laying on a cloud, but it was £800. The topper was fab, well worth every penny and he was much better. Last year we had a little saving policy mature so we went back and got the cloudy one. Bliss, comfiest mattress Ive ever slept on and no aches and pains.

Last year we had a little saving policy mature so we went back and got … Last year we had a little saving policy mature so we went back and got the cloudy one. Bliss, comfiest mattress Ive ever slept on and no aches and pains.

Thanks for taking the time jude7219 to respond. Your experience with them is totally consistent with their hundreds of positive feedback on Trust Pilot, which is making me more comfortable about making an online purchase of this size. In fact the few negative reviews that I have seen seem to be mainly for issues with the courier and the actual delivery of large mattresses (where a 2 man delivery hasn't been requested), rather than the firm itself or their products. Can I ask you which model of mattress you went for in the end (or was it the "Bliss"?).
I have had a reply to my email that I sent yesterday afternoon (I know...on a Sunday, impressive!) and I am torn between the SuperDeluxe, Bliss and Opulence models. I'm going to make a purchase this evening, I just need to give it a bit more thought before I commit to a specific model.

It's a shame they didn't have the Adjustables Grand Duchess in World of Beds as they did when I visited a couple of weeks ago. That's a relatively cheap latex mattress (about £700-800 online) and I found it an interesting comparison to the other two. It had the softness without the luxuriousness of the Royal Sovereign.

Mghf

I did really like it though. … I did really like it though. http://www.bestpricebeds.co.uk/dunlopillo-millennium-mattress-24cm-pid5282.html

Yeah, those are the guys I mentioned in Diss. I found it to be a brilliant shop with lots of similar options including relaxsan's PU/Latex mix (Waterlattex), The Mammoth Performance 15 which is 'medical' foam with a similar feel to latex and the Velda range of latex mattress including the one with standard dunlop with a softer layer ('pulse latex') on top. He also had a some dunlopillo in there too.

I don't know which side of Norwich you are but I'm to the east and I found the journey well worthwhile.

Mghf

As I'm not going to be getting the pocket sprung model anymore I won't be … As I'm not going to be getting the pocket sprung model anymore I won't be able to offer you any practical help in your choice of mattress. I will report back however and let you know how the sales experience went just in case you do decide to order from them.Best of luck with your search!

I haven't quite decided between the two, I'm trying to work out whether I can live with the entry level 15cm natural dunlop full latex one so I'd be interested in your experiences either way.

Yeah, those are the guys I mentioned in Diss. I found it to be a … Yeah, those are the guys I mentioned in Diss. I found it to be a brilliant shop with lots of similar options including relaxsan's PU/Latex mix (Waterlattex), The Mammoth Performance 15 which is 'medical' foam with a similar feel to latex and the Velda range of latex mattress including the one with standard dunlop with a softer layer ('pulse latex') on top. He also had a some dunlopillo in there too. I don't know which side of Norwich you are but I'm to the east and I found the journey well worthwhile.

I had intended to drive down there on Friday but I'm up on the north coast and being a Bank Holiday Friday the roads were pretty busy. When I got out of World of Beds at nearly 4 o'clock, I put the details for it into the satnav, which estimated a journey time of 50 minutes (37 miles), which would probably have been closer to an hour and a quarter due to the traffic. Anyway, I couldn't face it but it sounds like it is the best stocked place in the region for these types of bed so maybe I'll hold fire on my order and make the 110 mile round trip tomorrow. I'd be interested to check out the Velda pulse latex model, if for no other reason than it would seem to resemble the Yanis Opulence mattress in construction.

I haven't quite decided between the two, I'm trying to work out whether I … I haven't quite decided between the two, I'm trying to work out whether I can live with the entry level 15cm natural dunlop full latex one so I'd be interested in your experiences either way.

If it is of any interest, my email to Latex Sense yesterday was about trying to replicate the Dunlopillo Royal Sovereign experience that I had in World of Beds. The reply I got from Teodor (Latex Sense) was that their medium firmness Super Deluxe (24cm natural dunlop latex core) would essentially feel the same and the latex is even supplied by the same company (Latexco). Now, I can't of course be sure but one might infer that the Latex Sense "Super Comfort" with a 15cm dunlop core may therefore compare favourably with the Dunlopillo Diamond that you have tested...? It might be worth dropping them a line and asking the question just to give you an idea of what you are likely to expect.

I'll report back when I have something more to tell.
Decision made. King size opulence ordered.
Mghf

Decision made. King size opulence ordered.

Interesting decision there, I think I'd have inclined towards the extremes. Either the full layered approach of the Bliss or the solid approach of the SuperDeluxe and Bellagio. Other than being able to avoid saying you spent a four figure sum on a mattress what appealed to you about the Opulence?

I do have a draft written to Latex Sense with a couple of questions but I keep coming up with different thoughts and swapping a question for something more relevant or concrete. It'll probably get sent in the next day or two though - I'm sure they're getting plenty of questions over the bank holiday.

I think I'd have inclined towards the extremes. Either the full layered … I think I'd have inclined towards the extremes. Either the full layered approach of the Bliss or the solid approach of the SuperDeluxe and Bellagio.

I found it quite a tough decision to make. I think that either of those models are ones that I could have ordered and probably lived quite happily with, particularly considering some of the garbage I've slept on over the years. There have been moments in the last 48 hours when I would have ordered any one of the SuperDeluxe, Opulence or Bliss mattresses (the Bellagio never really figured on my radar for some reason) depending on my mood at that particular time.
I think that the last couple of weeks of search & research has altered my attitude towards beds as I always subscribed to the "firm bed is good for your back" mantra. The problem was that I had no appreciation for the fact that you could have firm support but that you could also have nice fluffy comfort layers too in the same product! Consequently, every bed shopping experience that I have had has been something along the lines of:

1. Enter Shop.
2. Request an orthopaedic mattress.
3. Buy the hardest bed in the place.

So, my thinking was that I knew I need a firm base for my size/weight but being a side sleeper I also wanted a bit of extra comfort on top. For that reason the SuperDeluxe fell into 3rd place and besides, if I was going to get an all 'Firm' dunlop mattress, I'd probably have gone for the shallower (18cm) Premium Latex Mattress and then added a 2 or 3 inch topper anyway.
That left two contenders on the table, and I have flip-flopped between the two right up until the moment I placed my order, at times adding to one to my shopping basket only to substitute it for the other a few hours later. Then I decided that I'd sleep on it last night, which I did and promptly woke up this morning, removed the Bliss from my overnight shopping basket and bought The Opulence.
My rationale was that according to Latex Sense, the "Bliss" is a bit firmer than the "Opulence" as it only has 3cm of soft talalay compared to 5cm on the latter. I'm taking the view that for my specific needs, I probably want that extra cushioning so the "Opulence" seemed like a better fit.

Other than being able to avoid saying you spent a four figure sum on a … Other than being able to avoid saying you spent a four figure sum on a mattress

LOL Don't underestimate the psychology of not spending that extra £1! Honestly though, there is still a chance that I could end up with the Bliss and spend the extra £100 if I find my choice a little too soft. I do think that I have made as good a choice as I can though for my needs on paper but you never know until you try the actual product so here's hoping that I can stay just the right side of 4 figures...if I have to up the ante then that's fine too, but I'd be happier if I didn't need to.

I'm sure they're getting plenty of questions over the bank holiday.

You're probably right, I'm sure they think that I'm a complete pest!

Anyway, I've plumped for the two man delivery service so I won't be getting the mattress for a while. That's probably just as well because I still need to dismantle/dispose of the old bed and assemble the new frame at some point in the very near future.

I hope your bed search is fruitful and I'd be interested to hear what you eventually settle on.
Edited by: "Mghf" 31st Aug 2015
Mghf

Anyway, I've plumped for the two man delivery service so I won't be … Anyway, I've plumped for the two man delivery service so I won't be getting the mattress for a while. That's probably just as well because I still need to dismantle/dispose of the old bed and assemble the new frame at some point in the very near future.I hope your bed search is fruitful and I'd be interested to hear what you eventually settle on.

I ended up opting for the 15cm Natural Dunlop model (super comfort) yesterday and it arrived today. At 36kg it's wasn't as bad as I feared maneuvring it rolled up but it's a lot floppier than my previous mattress, so getting it back down the stairs when moving house will be fun, especially as it doesn't come with handles (again, I seem to be cursed to never have a mattress with handles)

I'm slightly disappointed that the cover is so fluffy, I'd have preferred something flatter, but other than that I'm pretty pleased and as I have no particular place to be tomorrow I'm hoping I'll still be asleep come noon.

Has your Opulence been delivered and how are you finding it?

Has your Opulence been delivered and how are you finding it?

I had it delivered last Wednesday and it really is a lovely mattress. I have slept on it for the last week and I have found it to be comfortable and supportive. £1000 may not be at the top end of mattress prices but it is a significant investment nonetheless and I'm confident now having received it that the Latex Sense mattress compares very favourably with Dunlopillo whose products are more expensive and only covered by a 5 year warranty.
There are obviously a few differences in design between our mattresses as mine did have handles fitted (more on this later) but I didn't notice the cover to be particularly "fluffy"...I did zip mine straight into a breathable/waterproof mattress protector though so to be honest I didn't take much notice of it at the time.
I know that mine came with handles though because I was forced to use them on day one. I booked the two man delivery service knowing that the mattress was going to weigh the thick end of 55-60kg. They arrived at the agreed time on the appointed day and went about their work quickly and quietly. I was on the phone when they arrived but asked them to make sure that the mattress was the right way up when they unpacked it because the Opulence has the 2" layer of Talalay on top. I double checked with them before they went and they assured me that it was done correctly so they left and took the packaging away with them. When I checked their handiwork I found the product label facing the floor at the head end of the bed so I ended up having to flip the mattress on my own anyway, which was disappointing.
Having said that the Opulence is a lovely mattress (which it certainly is) I still wonder if it might be a bit too soft for me. I'm so used to sleeping on extra-firm orthopaedics that I'm finding it difficult to get my head around the luxuriousness of the mattress. I still have another week to make up my mind but I may yet go the 100% [firm] Dunlop SuperDeluxe route and I haven't ruled out the Bliss as a slightly firmer option either. There is also the Millenium or Bellagio to be considered for an all [firm] Talalay mattress; decisions, decisions...

Anyway, in short I have nothing but praise for the Latex Sense product that I bought and the whole purchase experience [delivery muppets notwithstanding]. However, I might still take them up on their double satisfaction guarantee and opt for something firmer but I'm going to sleep on it for a few more nights before I take that step.

I'm glad that you seem happy with your own purchase. I'll report back next week if I decide to change my order.
Hi Just wondered Mghf how you are going on with your latex sense mattress. I've just ordered the Bliss model. We have adjustable beds linked together so have gone for different comfort feels. We've slept on Tempur for 4 years and to be honest despite it feeling lush and plush, it's been a nightmare. I am too hot and constantly tossing the duvet off and on and My hubby who runs cold can't have an electric blanket. We're also a little concerned about off gassing and sleeping on a purely synthetic foam. I've researched for months. Found fantastic qualities in the states but only a couple of suppliers of 100% latex mattresses in the UK. I too am impressed with their customer service, fingers crossed I also am impressed with the Bliss.

Just wondered Mghf how you are going on with your latex sense mattress.

Hi Bedhead1. After a month of sleeps I have to say that I'm loving it. In my last post I was toying with the idea of changing to a slightly firmer mattress (like the Bliss) but after about 10 nights something in my head finally clicked and the [firm] Opulence that I had bought just felt right. It offers plenty of support (I'm over 17 stone) but also a plush comfort layer, which is something I have never experienced before and is perfect for my 'side sleeping'. I always bought extra firm orthopaedic mattresses and then needed 3 pillows to get my head and neck aligned. Now I have far greater comfort and I find a single contoured pillow plenty for my needs.
I'm convinced that I could have quite happily lived with several of the mattresses that Latex Sense offer but in the end I didn't feel the need to put it to the test. I found their customer service to be first rate but take on board my experience of the delivery team and stand over them to ensure that they get it the right way up (if you opt for a 2 man service), particularly as your Bliss is layered and has a distinct "top" and "bottom".
In short I couldn't be happier with my purchase and I hope your experience is similar.
Edited by: "Mghf" 1st Oct 2015
Brilliant! So pleased for you. It's difficult enough to choose a mattress in store let alone on line. There's nothing like being able to have a good night's sleep and to wake feeling rested and free from pain and stiffness. I'm very much looking forward to getting ours on Saturday. Probably be in bed by 9!! Also a wee bit apprehensive that it will be too firm but always have the exchange offer to fall back on. Wishing you sweet dreams.
I know this thread is very old, but I'm debating the same stuff now! Mghf, how is your Opulence working out for you after this much time?

I'm considering this exact mattress, but I'm fretting about the fact it can't be flipped. Have you noticed any problems in this regard?

citybargainhunter

I know this thread is very old, but I'm debating the same stuff now! … I know this thread is very old, but I'm debating the same stuff now! Mghf, how is your Opulence working out for you after this much time?I'm considering this exact mattress, but I'm fretting about the fact it can't be flipped. Have you noticed any problems in this regard?

I haven't and I still love my mattress. It retains its shape when there is nobody on it, there are no 'dips' or 'hollows' and it is as comfortable now as when I first received it. It is definitely the best mattress I have ever owned but I'm sure I would have been equally happy with one of the other alternatives from Latex Sense, which I nearly plumped for. You can still rotate the mattress (head end to foot end) but if the "flip" issue is a problem then there is always the 100% Dunlop or 100% Talalay option (I seriously considered both of these before I finally made my choice). Thinking about it, I probably could flip my Opulence but it would have a slightly firmer feel as the talalay layer would then be on the bottom??? Maybe I'll try it at some point but be warned, the mattresses are incredibly heavy and you'll need a strong pair of hands to help you, whichever way you plan to orient it. Hope this helps.
That's fairly cheap for a mattress. You spend most of your life in it, so buy a good one.
Mghf

I haven't and I still love my mattress. It retains its shape when there … I haven't and I still love my mattress. It retains its shape when there is nobody on it, there are no 'dips' or 'hollows' and it is as comfortable now as when I first received it. It is definitely the best mattress I have ever owned but I'm sure I would have been equally happy with one of the other alternatives from Latex Sense, which I nearly plumped for. You can still rotate the mattress (head end to foot end) but if the "flip" issue is a problem then there is always the 100% Dunlop or 100% Talalay option (I seriously considered both of these before I finally made my choice). Thinking about it, I probably could flip my Opulence but it would have a slightly firmer feel as the talalay layer would then be on the bottom??? Maybe I'll try it at some point but be warned, the mattresses are incredibly heavy and you'll need a strong pair of hands to help you, whichever way you plan to orient it. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the feedback! Yes, I was looking at the other options but neither feel quite right. The Opulence was the perfect match in the middle between the other two! I did think if it ever does have any issues you could flip it into firm as a last-ditch effort to make it last. Good to see I'm not alone on that thought
WonkyDoctor

That's fairly cheap for a mattress. You spend most of your life in it, so … That's fairly cheap for a mattress. You spend most of your life in it, so buy a good one.

Sorry, not sure I understand the implication. Is this a recommendation to go for this mattress or look to others?

I have looked at the Dunlopillo Royal Sovereign quite a bit. But given it is a no-flip too and seems to also have a few cm layering on top of a more solid core, I haven't been able to justify the difference in price as that's extremely similar to the Latex Sense Opulence construction. The Dunlopillo company's recent history is also slightly concerning (sold then resold), so I can't tell if these would be the same quality as they once were.
Citybargainhunter, I've just had a look at the website and I assuming you know that they are having a 15% black friday sale at the moment. So although they have put their prices up since I bought mine last year (I paid £999 for a king size Opulence), it actually works out quite a bit cheaper after the discount.
Mghf

Citybargainhunter, I've just had a look at the website and I assuming you … Citybargainhunter, I've just had a look at the website and I assuming you know that they are having a 15% black friday sale at the moment. So although they have put their prices up since I bought mine last year (I paid £999 for a king size Opulence), it actually works out quite a bit cheaper after the discount.

Thanks for pointing that out Yes, this is why the pressure to decide between the Dunlopillo and the Latex Sense one now. A lot of good Black Friday deals out there. Best price on the Dunlopillo seems to be £1350 with two pillows thrown in to boot (which is fantastic considering it usually sells for £1500). Opulence will come down to about £925. So an extra £325 between the two if you were to take the value of the pillows out of the equation. Feels like that would be £325 paid just because of a brand name.
Mghf - Would you say the opulence is firmer than the royal sovereign or about the same?
cheako1

Mghf - Would you say the opulence is firmer than the royal sovereign or … Mghf - Would you say the opulence is firmer than the royal sovereign or about the same?

It's been a long time since I road tested the Royal Sovereign so any comparison is going to be sketchy. Also, the Royal Sovereign mattress was on its partnering divan base whereas my Opulence is on sprung slats. This also complicates things so take all that follows with a large dose of salt.
From my recollection...the RS was probably slightly firmer. That is not to say that it was necessarily more supportive, just that it was constructed from a uniform density of dunlop latex so lacked the top talalay layer of the Opulence. This 5cm comfort layer would naturally compress more than the firmer dunlop layer underneath making it "feel" softer. I would say that when you are testing the mattresses, a cursory "sit on the edge and bounce" won't give you any insight into how supportive they are though. I found all latex mattresses to compress much more than their sprung counterparts when sat on in that fashion. You need to kick your shoes off and lie down to get a real impression of how they'll feel else you are just wasting your time and they'll probably ALL feel horribly soft.
If it helps, I have just looked back over my correspondence with Latex Sense from last summer. Prior to ordering my mattress, one of the questions that I asked was which mattress in their range would equate to the feel of the RS. I was told that their Superdeluxe Latex Mattress (22cm thick 100% dunlop latex) in medium comfort feel was the equivalent of the Dunlopillo Royal Sovereign. In fact the latex that goes into the two mattresses are manufactured by the same latex supplier, Latexco in Belgium.
Mghf

It's been a long time since I road tested the Royal Sovereign so any … It's been a long time since I road tested the Royal Sovereign so any comparison is going to be sketchy. Also, the Royal Sovereign mattress was on its partnering divan base whereas my Opulence is on sprung slats. This also complicates things so take all that follows with a large dose of salt.From my recollection...the RS was probably slightly firmer. That is not to say that it was necessarily more supportive, just that it was constructed from a uniform density of dunlop latex so lacked the top talalay layer of the Opulence. This 5cm comfort layer would naturally compress more than the firmer dunlop layer underneath making it "feel" softer. I would say that when you are testing the mattresses, a cursory "sit on the edge and bounce" won't give you any insight into how supportive they are though. I found all latex mattresses to compress much more than their sprung counterparts when sat on in that fashion. You need to kick your shoes off and lie down to get a real impression of how they'll feel else you are just wasting your time and they'll probably ALL feel horribly soft.If it helps, I have just looked back over my correspondence with Latex Sense from last summer. Prior to ordering my mattress, one of the questions that I asked was which mattress in their range would equate to the feel of the RS. I was told that their Superdeluxe Latex Mattress (22cm thick 100% dunlop latex) in medium comfort feel was the equivalent of the Dunlopillo Royal Sovereign. In fact the latex that goes into the two mattresses are manufactured by the same latex supplier, Latexco in Belgium.

This point about the partnering divan is a good point for the Royal Sovereign, it was maddening not to be able to get a like for like example. I've also tried lying on a few of them and I would agree exactly with your saying, the Royal Sovereign was probably slightly firmer.

With regards to the layering, I found out that the Royal Sovereign isn't actually all one single block of latex This is the picture from the Which review where they have cut it open that illustrates it:
http://dam.which.co.uk.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/ffd92fe5-2903-4fd0-8cdb-86d2825be17f.jpg

I asked Dunlopillo about this and they confirmed that they do indeed slightly layer it. I doubt it's Talalay though because the feel is different to the Opulence and it's hard to believe the 2cm difference would matter that much (as I understand the Royal Sovereign variation to be 3cm potentially on top that differs).

In my mind, the Superdeluxe felt slightly softer than the Royal Sovereign in the medium and slightly firmer in the firm.
Edited by: "citybargainhunter" 6th Dec 2016
citybargainhunter

This point about the partnering divan is a good point for the Royal … This point about the partnering divan is a good point for the Royal Sovereign, it was maddening not to be able to get a like for like example. I've also tried lying on a few of them and I would agree exactly with your saying, the Royal Sovereign was probably slightly firmer.With regards to the layering, I found out that the Royal Sovereign isn't actually all one single block of latex This is the picture from the Which review where they have cut it open that illustrates it:http://dam.which.co.uk.s3-website-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/ffd92fe5-2903-4fd0-8cdb-86d2825be17f.jpgI asked Dunlopillo about this and they confirmed that they do indeed slightly layer it. I doubt it's Talalay though because the feel is different to the Opulence and it's hard to believe the 2cm difference would matter that much (as I understand the Royal Sovereign variation to be 3cm potentially on top that differs).In my mind, the Superdeluxe felt slightly softer than the Royal Sovereign in the medium and slightly firmer in the firm.

​That cross section picture is interesting as I double checked the Dunlopillo website last night before I posted. Their cross section shows one solid block of latex and there is no mention of any additional 'layering' in the product description.
Mghf

​That cross section picture is interesting as I double checked the D … ​That cross section picture is interesting as I double checked the Dunlopillo website last night before I posted. Their cross section shows one solid block of latex and there is no mention of any additional 'layering' in the product description.

Yeah, I thought this exact same thing which is why I'd emailed them before purchase as I'd wondered if I could get away with flipping the Dunlopillo within its cover.

If you read between their lines on the advertising, it almost implies this:
"The expertly engineered mattress surface contours the body, whilst the deeper comfort core delivers holistic levels of inspired luxury." So I assume when they say the "surface" they mean this 3cm. But I think this is misleading, I would've always assumed it's a single layer had Which not appeared to cut the mattress open.

This could be partly the reason why the Opulence like the one to go with. It seemed somewhat like an inbetween of the Royal Sovereign & Millennium in my mind.
citybargainhunter

Yeah, I thought this exact same thing which is why I'd emailed them … Yeah, I thought this exact same thing which is why I'd emailed them before purchase as I'd wondered if I could get away with flipping the Dunlopillo within its cover. If you read between their lines on the advertising, it almost implies this:"The expertly engineered mattress surface contours the body, whilst the deeper comfort core delivers holistic levels of inspired luxury." So I assume when they say the "surface" they mean this 3cm. But I think this is misleading, I would've always assumed it's a single layer had Which not appeared to cut the mattress open.This could be partly the reason why the Opulence like the one to go with. It seemed somewhat like an inbetween of the Royal Sovereign & Millennium in my mind.

I'm speculating wildly, but I wonder if Dunlopillo has changed the design of the mattress? There must be economies to be made by manufacturing a thinner 18cm core (which could be used for a number of products across the range) and then adding a "topper" to add bulk to premium lines. To my untrained eye, the top layer of latex in the cross section photo from the "Which" article looks remarkably similar to the base it sits on, so unless it is of a different density then I'm not sure why else the mattress would be constructed in this way rather than as a solid 21cm block? However I must hold up my hands because I'm not a bed manufacturer so what do I know???
In my mind I had the Dunlopillo and Latex Sense products pegged qualitatively as equals. Sure, Dunlopillo products are probably more refined, they look slicker and are FAR more easily researched, tested and purchased (albeit at a premium) but I had assumed that where it counts, there was little between the companies' offerings when it came to the quality of the product, coming as they do from the same Latex supplier. I could see that Latex Sense needed to undercut the market leader so offer a factory direct service with no intermediaries to pay, they also offer a far more generous warranty in order to compete but the revelation that the RS mattress is assembled in this manner now has me questioning both the perceived and actual quality of the product itself. Perhaps there is a technical reason for this method of construction but I find it particularly worrisome, when you consider that Dunlopillo are marketing it themselves as a solid core 21cm mattress. To claim otherwise (having seen their literature) would be nothing short of disingenuous on their part.

Edited by: "Mghf" 7th Dec 2016
If you're mattress hunting, have you looked at the Eve ones. They're not cheap, but I don't know what your budget is with the other ones. They do have a 100 day return period though, where you can get a full refund with no quibbles

This could be partly the reason why the Opulence like the one to go with. … This could be partly the reason why the Opulence like the one to go with. It seemed somewhat like an in between of the Royal Sovereign & Millennium in my mind.

If you wanted something like the Opulence but just a touch firmer then the Bliss should definitely be on the short list according to the feedback I got last year.
Mghf - Thanks for the detailed response, I didn't realise changing the mattress would turn into quite such a difficult task.
Out of interest is there any reason you chose the opulence over something like the super deluxe?
I've had a dunlopillo pillow for over 15 years so I'm a fan of the brand and the latex construction, but can't bring myself to part with an additional £500 just for the name!
Perhaps I will need to take a trip to their showroom and road test a few for myself!

Apologies for taking so long to respond. Just came across this thread again while hunting flamedeers and saw you asked me which one I went for. We went for the Opulence too. Still very happy with it too.
We originally had it on sprung slats which broke so changed the slats for non sprung. Big mistake! We've put the original topper back on for now so all is good but will be getting a new sprung slat bed after Christmas.

One thing worth mentioning is that if you have a gas lift Ottoman style bed, these mattresses are too heavy for it to hold up. I can't go in mine unless someone is there holding it up. That's why we aren't just replacing the slats and are going to get a bed with different storage.

Mghf

Thanks for taking the time jude7219 to respond. Your experience with … Thanks for taking the time jude7219 to respond. Your experience with them is totally consistent with their hundreds of positive feedback on Trust Pilot, which is making me more comfortable about making an online purchase of this size. In fact the few negative reviews that I have seen seem to be mainly for issues with the courier and the actual delivery of large mattresses (where a 2 man delivery hasn't been requested), rather than the firm itself or their products. Can I ask you which model of mattress you went for in the end (or was it the "Bliss"?). I have had a reply to my email that I sent yesterday afternoon (I know...on a Sunday, impressive!) and I am torn between the SuperDeluxe, Bliss and Opulence models. I'm going to make a purchase this evening, I just need to give it a bit more thought before I commit to a specific model.

One other thing, is that if you have a chronic illness or disability and the mattress is to help you manage that, you can get the item vat free. I have an under active thyroid which gives me joint pain, Yanis gave me a form to fill in just staying I had the illness and I saved about £200.
cheako1

Mghf - Thanks for the detailed response, I didn't realise changing the … Mghf - Thanks for the detailed response, I didn't realise changing the mattress would turn into quite such a difficult task.Out of interest is there any reason you chose the opulence over something like the super deluxe?I've had a dunlopillo pillow for over 15 years so I'm a fan of the brand and the latex construction, but can't bring myself to part with an additional £500 just for the name!Perhaps I will need to take a trip to their showroom and road test a few for myself!

I'd certainly counsel getting out there and trying as many as you can Cheako1. When I started this thread (and the whole mattress replacing merry-go-round last year) I was on the look out for a rock hard orthopedic pocket sprung mattress. After a bit of research led to the discovery that a supportive bed doesn't necessarily have to feel like a stone altar, I also learned that as a side sleeper I'd actually benefit from having a mattress that had a softer comfort layer on top. This led me towards pocket sprung mattresses with memory foam and latex layers. I've never got on with memory foam and the idea of 100% latex appealed to me after I tested some of Dunlopillo products in-store so I ditched the compromised spring/latex marriage in favour of a solid latex mattress. Cost is always a consideration but I'd budgeted up to a couple of thousand for the right bed and so I nearly pulled the trigger on a Royal Sovereign when I discovered it. I decided to have a look around though for alternatives which is when I stumbled across Latex Sense.
I flip-flopped constantly between models. I'd put a Bellagio in my basket and go to bed, only to remove it the next day and replace it for a Bliss, a Superdeluxe, a Millenium etc. This went on for weeks! I must have driven Teodor (Latex Sense) mad with my constant questions as to which model was firmer, which would suit my size/sleeping style etc. After much consideration and almost as much advice from Latex Sense, we came to a consensus that for my side sleeping, I'd probably be more comfortable on a firm Dunlop latex base with a softer talalay top layer so this narrowed my options down to the Opulence and the Bliss. If I remember correctly I had the Bliss in my online basket all weekend and then on the Sunday night I swapped it out for the marginally softer Opulence and placed my order. Although there was plenty of consideration that went into narrowing the search from an orthopaedic pocket sprung to a 100% latex Dunlop/Talalay mattress, the final cut between the Bliss and the Opulence was really quite arbitrary. In fact I am sure that if I had I gone the other way and bought the Bliss, I'd be equally as happy. If you don't feel that you need the softer layer then I'll bet the Super Deluxe is a brilliant mattress too and it is what Latex Sense will offer as a direct comparison to the Dunlopillo Royal Sovereign. It is also probably a bit more flexible as you can presumably flip it (it is the same construction throughout) and if you want to soften it (or even firm it up) then you can buy a latex mattress topper to go over it. Although I was sorely tempted by the Royal Sovereign last year, I haven't regretted the choice to spend my money elsewhere but I didn't have any brand loyalty to Dunlopillo at the time. In fact, if you've read my post from earlier this evening then you'll know that if anything, I'd be even less inclined to buy a Royal Sovereign today than I was 18 months ago. (From the photo, the construction better resembles the "Premium Latex" mattress with an inbuilt 3cm latex topper rather than the SuperDeluxe). I know I've rambled on but I hope you can find something of use in there somewhere!
jude7219

One other thing, is that if you have a chronic illness or disability and … One other thing, is that if you have a chronic illness or disability and the mattress is to help you manage that, you can get the item vat free. I have an under active thyroid which gives me joint pain, Yanis gave me a form to fill in just staying I had the illness and I saved about £200.

That's great advice, good to know.
Mghf

I'm speculating wildly, but I wonder if Dunlopillo has changed the design … I'm speculating wildly, but I wonder if Dunlopillo has changed the design of the mattress? There must be economies to be made by manufacturing a thinner 18cm core (which could be used for a number of products across the range) and then adding a "topper" to add bulk to premium lines. To my untrained eye, the top layer of latex in the cross section photo from the "Which" article looks remarkably similar to the base it sits on, so unless it is of a different density then I'm not sure why else the mattress would be constructed in this way rather than as a solid 21cm block? However I must hold up my hands because I'm not a bed manufacturer so what do I know???In my mind I had the Dunlopillo and Latex Sense products pegged qualitatively as equals. Sure, Dunlopillo products are probably more refined, they look slicker and are FAR more easily researched, tested and purchased (albeit at a premium) but I had assumed that where it counts, there was little between the companies' offerings when it came to the quality of the product, coming as they do from the same Latex supplier. I could see that Latex Sense needed to undercut the market leader so offer a factory direct service with no intermediaries to pay, they also offer a far more generous warranty in order to compete but the revelation that the RS mattress is assembled in this manner now has me questioning both the perceived and actual quality of the product itself. Perhaps there is a technical reason for this method of construction but I find it particularly worrisome, when you consider that Dunlopillo are marketing it themselves as a solid core 21cm mattress. To claim otherwise (having seen their literature) would be nothing short of disingenuous on their part.

It seems like from the response I received from them that it is definitely a different density. They see it as a "comfort layer" on top of each core. Perhaps this could mean only the cover but it seems hard to believe.

From what I understand, Dunlopillo has been marketing their mattresses for many years now as no flip, perhaps it's not actually changed anything, but no one's noticed the difference?
jude7219

Apologies for taking so long to respond. Just came across this thread … Apologies for taking so long to respond. Just came across this thread again while hunting flamedeers and saw you asked me which one I went for. We went for the Opulence too. Still very happy with it too. We originally had it on sprung slats which broke so changed the slats for non sprung. Big mistake! We've put the original topper back on for now so all is good but will be getting a new sprung slat bed after Christmas.One thing worth mentioning is that if you have a gas lift Ottoman style bed, these mattresses are too heavy for it to hold up. I can't go in mine unless someone is there holding it up. That's why we aren't just replacing the slats and are going to get a bed with different storage.

Uh-oh, I'm just about to buy a solid slat bed to put this same mattress on! What was the problem you faced with the solid slats over the sprung?

Ours was on sprung slats until two weeks ago. Immediately they were changed to non sprung, that very next morning we both had back ache. But we do both suffer quite badly with bad hips and backs. We are both in forties carrying a little extra weight so that doesn't help really. One of the reasons we went for the sprung slat beds was that it is recommended for people with aches and pains and we wanted maximum comfort. I don't know what husband was thinking when he changed them. Slats came, he went and sorted them out and it wasn't until he had finished I realised what he had changed them for. Bed now knackered!

We put the latex topper on two nights ago and this morning I woke up so comfy. We are going to get a new sprung slat bed , they arent that dear really.

I would recommend you get the mattress as planned and maybe change to a slatted bed if it doesn't work for you.

We flip our Opulence!

citybargainhunter

Uh-oh, I'm just about to buy a solid slat bed to put this same mattress … Uh-oh, I'm just about to buy a solid slat bed to put this same mattress on! What was the problem you faced with the solid slats over the sprung?

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants