Shocked by Tesco

Found 7th Jul
Hi fellow bargain hunters. I was asked to go shopping in Tesco yesterday by my poorly F-I-L. Now being very, very tight, I tend to shop at places like Home Bargains, Aldi, Poundworld etc, so I had not been in a Tesco for some time. What shocked me was not just that Tesco were more expensive, but that they were so much more expensive. For example the coffee I like from Poundstretcher was almost twice the price! As Tesco are almost certainly buying in huge quantities and therefore getting their goods cheaper, why the huge difference?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
deleted79467
have you received counselling yet ?
hope you get over this

i pray that he never has to go to a Waitrose
Edited by: "deleted79467" 8th Jul
chocci1 h, 52 m ago

What size jar of kenco and how much is it? Kenco 200g is £3.99 in …What size jar of kenco and how much is it? Kenco 200g is £3.99 in poundstretcher and £4 in morrisons. I suspect you're in a small minority of people that actually enjoy shopping in multiple supermarkets to save a few quid. I'd rather spend my time on more interesting activities. Oh, and I paid £3.79 for coffee in PS this week, and noticed it was £6+ in Tesco. Appears to be identical. Big difference if it is as Tesco are known for getting "value" from their suppliers.

Oh I do. I regard it as a competition. Those 8@$+@*9$ are trying to get me to pay more of my money than I need. I've been married thirty years.This is the only fun I get now.
Edited by: "markjean" 8th Jul
choccie325 m ago

How many bags did he force you to purchase?

Eighty-two. One pack of PG Tips, and two bags for life.
27 Comments
deleted79467
have you received counselling yet ?
hope you get over this

i pray that he never has to go to a Waitrose
Edited by: "deleted79467" 8th Jul
Because all their customers have deserted them for Aldi and Lidl’s, therefore they are making their remaining customers pay more to pick up the difference so that their profits don’t go down and share prices remain buoyant.
deleted794677th Jul

have you received counselling yet ?hope you get over this

Thank you for your insightful contribution. You know I feel a tad better already.
Tesco costs more because they have more overheads (larger stores, more employees) and they don't buy grey market stock (Home Bargains may import stock from Thailand whereas Tesco would buy the UK version).
jamie01514 m ago

Tesco costs more because they have more overheads (larger stores, more …Tesco costs more because they have more overheads (larger stores, more employees) and they don't buy grey market stock (Home Bargains may import stock from Thailand whereas Tesco would buy the UK version).

Unless it a ready meal the Tesco version will probably have meat from Thailand.
tesco.com/gro…731

Produced in the U.K.

using chicken fromThailand

OP, you could have just walked out and shopped elsewhere.
jamie01514 m ago

Tesco costs more because they have more overheads (larger stores, more …Tesco costs more because they have more overheads (larger stores, more employees) and they don't buy grey market stock (Home Bargains may import stock from Thailand whereas Tesco would buy the UK version).

Thank you for a sensible answer. I am however still Glad to be Grey.
markjean5 m ago

Thank you for a sensible answer. I am however still Glad to be Grey.

For me, it depends on the product. Some items such as cleaning products I don't mind, but Thailand Colgate for example is terrible - so different to the UK one!
OBH6UK7 m ago

Unless it a ready meal the Tesco version will probably have meat from …Unless it a ready meal the Tesco version will probably have meat from Thailand.https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/299917731Produced in the U.K.using chicken fromThailandOP, you could have just walked out and shopped elsewhere.

Oh I certainly couldn't have walked out and shopped elsewhere. My F-I-L is quite well off, and only EVER shops at Tesco. In his fragile state, an Aldi product could prove fatal.
OBH6UK7 m ago

Unless it a ready meal the Tesco version will probably have meat from …Unless it a ready meal the Tesco version will probably have meat from Thailand.https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/products/299917731Produced in the U.K.using chicken fromThailandOP, you could have just walked out and shopped elsewhere.

True, I was referring to pre-packaged, branded items such as Colgate though.
jamie0152 m ago

For me, it depends on the product. Some items such as cleaning products I …For me, it depends on the product. Some items such as cleaning products I don't mind, but Thailand Colgate for example is terrible - so different to the UK one!

If you had teeth like my own, you wouldn't care.
Tesco make half their profits on 10% of sold items. That means many items are there just to keep customers happy. If they only stocked the profitable items there wouldn't be much in the shop. Also some shops sell items at cost or even a loss just to get you through the door. It's impossible to gauge what is a sensible price for any item. Also tesco tooth paste is 50p. Carries the save spec as £2 paste
Edited by: "wayners" 7th Jul
markjean2 h, 40 m ago

Oh I certainly couldn't have walked out and shopped elsewhere. My F-I-L is …Oh I certainly couldn't have walked out and shopped elsewhere. My F-I-L is quite well off, and only EVER shops at Tesco. In his fragile state, an Aldi product could prove fatal.

choccie325 m ago

Eighty-two. One pack of PG Tips, and two bags for life.
They are shooting themselves in the foot. They are changing their value brand to fake farm names and other fake names and upping the prices by up to 60% ( usually 20-30%). But now they're ditching they're brand guarantee . As soon as that happens I'll be shopping in Asda ( as long as they keep their APG).

Edit: Most Tesco shoppers would have noticed that they're ditching a lot of brand names and replacing with more of their own (fake) branded items.
Edited by: "Darzen" 8th Jul
The problem with the likes of Home Bargains, Aldi, Poundworld etc is that you can't do a complete shop unless you live off processed food and ready meals. Their product ranges are terrible compared to tesco. I also find tesco are cheaper as long as you buy in bulk when items are on offer. Our weekly shop for 2 adults works out to be £40 per week and we eat well with very little food waste.

The fact it works out about 60p for a home delivery is the icing on the cake. Life's too short to be spending it in supermarkets to save the odd £1 or 2.
chocci2 h, 50 m ago

The problem with the likes of Home Bargains, Aldi, Poundworld etc is that …The problem with the likes of Home Bargains, Aldi, Poundworld etc is that you can't do a complete shop unless you live off processed food and ready meals. Their product ranges are terrible compared to tesco. I also find tesco are cheaper as long as you buy in bulk when items are on offer. Our weekly shop for 2 adults works out to be £40 per week and we eat well with very little food waste. The fact it works out about 60p for a home delivery is the icing on the cake. Life's too short to be spending it in supermarkets to save the odd £1 or 2.

Yes buying in bulk is very sensible if you have the room to store it. We get our fresh food from Aldi and supplement with "brands" we like from other discounters. It really makes a difference. For example, we can save £3 alone on a jar of Kenco by buying at Poundstretcher. As for saving time, I actually enjoy shopping for bargains. I think it's the joy of the hunt for the modern age.
markjean47 m ago

Yes buying in bulk is very sensible if you have the room to store it. We …Yes buying in bulk is very sensible if you have the room to store it. We get our fresh food from Aldi and supplement with "brands" we like from other discounters. It really makes a difference. For example, we can save £3 alone on a jar of Kenco by buying at Poundstretcher. As for saving time, I actually enjoy shopping for bargains. I think it's the joy of the hunt for the modern age.

What size jar of kenco and how much is it? Kenco 200g is £3.99 in poundstretcher and £4 in morrisons.

I suspect you're in a small minority of people that actually enjoy shopping in multiple supermarkets to save a few quid. I'd rather spend my time on more interesting activities.
Edited by: "chocci" 8th Jul
chocci4 h, 40 m ago

The problem with the likes of Home Bargains, Aldi, Poundworld etc is that …The problem with the likes of Home Bargains, Aldi, Poundworld etc is that you can't do a complete shop unless you live off processed food and ready meals. Their product ranges are terrible compared to tesco. I also find tesco are cheaper as long as you buy in bulk when items are on offer. Our weekly shop for 2 adults works out to be £40 per week and we eat well with very little food waste. The fact it works out about 60p for a home delivery is the icing on the cake. Life's too short to be spending it in supermarkets to save the odd £1 or 2.

Home Bargains & Poundland agreed, but I shop at Aldi and get all my shopping there. I don't eat much processed food or any ready meals and like chocci, my grocery bill for 2 adults is (on average) £38 per week. I haven't spent any money in a Tesco owned business for over 20 years, so I can't say what it's like, and I know Aldi have a limit range compared to Tesco etc, but I very rarely need anything Aldi don't sell.
chocci1 h, 52 m ago

What size jar of kenco and how much is it? Kenco 200g is £3.99 in …What size jar of kenco and how much is it? Kenco 200g is £3.99 in poundstretcher and £4 in morrisons. I suspect you're in a small minority of people that actually enjoy shopping in multiple supermarkets to save a few quid. I'd rather spend my time on more interesting activities. Oh, and I paid £3.79 for coffee in PS this week, and noticed it was £6+ in Tesco. Appears to be identical. Big difference if it is as Tesco are known for getting "value" from their suppliers.

Oh I do. I regard it as a competition. Those 8@$+@*9$ are trying to get me to pay more of my money than I need. I've been married thirty years.This is the only fun I get now.
Edited by: "markjean" 8th Jul
chocci1 h, 57 m ago

What size jar of kenco and how much is it? Kenco 200g is £3.99 in …What size jar of kenco and how much is it? Kenco 200g is £3.99 in poundstretcher and £4 in morrisons. I suspect you're in a small minority of people that actually enjoy shopping in multiple supermarkets to save a few quid. I'd rather spend my time on more interesting activities.

Oh I paid £3.79 for my coffee at PS. I noticed it was £6+ at Tesco. I don't know, but I would imagine T's famous buying power allows them to buy it cheaper too. It looks identical, and if it is, that's a big difference. Buy a few items like that in your Tesco shop, and the cost will soon mount.
What I do is check prices on MySupermarket. If the item is significantly cheaper elsewhere, then I will go there to buy it. I can't go to Poundstretcher as all of my locals are in odd locations unfortunately
markjean43 m ago

Oh I paid £3.79 for my coffee at PS. I noticed it was £6+ at Tesco. I d …Oh I paid £3.79 for my coffee at PS. I noticed it was £6+ at Tesco. I don't know, but I would imagine T's famous buying power allows them to buy it cheaper too. It looks identical, and if it is, that's a big difference. Buy a few items like that in your Tesco shop, and the cost will soon mount.

but savvy shoppers ignore items in the supermarkets when prices arent on discount. Also, Poundstretcher only sell processed food so you'll need to shop elsewhere if you actually cook food using fresh ingredients. Anyway, each to their own and as I say, we eat very well for £20 each per head per week including delivery from tesco.
chocci1 h, 3 m ago

but savvy shoppers ignore items in the supermarkets when prices arent on …but savvy shoppers ignore items in the supermarkets when prices arent on discount. Also, Poundstretcher only sell processed food so you'll need to shop elsewhere if you actually cook food using fresh ingredients. Anyway, each to their own and as I say, we eat very well for £20 each per head per week including delivery from tesco.

Yes well I'm sure we all consume some processed foods. I like Vimto squash for example. It's a whopping 87p dearer a bottle in Mr. T's, but as you say, stay savvy, and each to their own.
wayners20 h, 37 m ago

Tesco make half their profits on 10% of sold items. That means many items …Tesco make half their profits on 10% of sold items. That means many items are there just to keep customers happy. If they only stocked the profitable items there wouldn't be much in the shop. Also some shops sell items at cost or even a loss just to get you through the door. It's impossible to gauge what is a sensible price for any item. Also tesco tooth paste is 50p. Carries the save spec as £2 paste

So what you're saying is buy your everyday essentials where they're cheapest, and just use Tesco for the odd occasion you need something exotic? Sounds sensible to me.
I started shopping at Aldi recently because one has just opened. Was surprised that almost everything is cheaper.

Went to buy some things recently using Clubcard, like ferry crossing, hotel accommodation and restaurants for the summer holidays as I do.
And then it dawned on me just how much I get out of clubcard over the year every year.

I have now convinced my partner that we want to pay the Tesco tax or premium - or whatever you want to call it - so that I don’t have to fork out for all the items tesco clubcard buys for us with that tax.

I notice all the main supermarkets have offers on items like that 200g expensive coffee jars down from £6 to £4, and other popular branded items rotating between from one supermarket to the other every so many weeks. Websites like mysupermarket shows you what and where. Poundland poundstretcher homebargains b&m seem to offer those sorts of deals consistently so worth a look if looking at the pennies and pounds carefully
Edited by: "androidavis" 8th Jul
markjean4 h, 13 m ago

So what you're saying is buy your everyday essentials where they're …So what you're saying is buy your everyday essentials where they're cheapest, and just use Tesco for the odd occasion you need something exotic? Sounds sensible to me.

Yeah. We were in pound land yesterday buying antihistamines £1 a box. And other bits and bobs. Over the road to savers for finish dishwasher tablets. Probably saved £8 vs tesco price. OMG. Just looked up the price... 14 pills are £5.50 at tesco. We paid £1 for 30 pills. Still. That's tesco price but I guess they don't sell many but when they do the share price goes up
Edited by: "wayners" 8th Jul
androidavis8th Jul

I started shopping at Aldi recently because one has just opened. Was …I started shopping at Aldi recently because one has just opened. Was surprised that almost everything is cheaper. Went to buy some things recently using Clubcard, like ferry crossing, hotel accommodation and restaurants for the summer holidays as I do. And then it dawned on me just how much I get out of clubcard over the year every year.I have now convinced my partner that we want to pay the Tesco tax or premium - or whatever you want to call it - so that I don’t have to fork out for all the items tesco clubcard buys for us with that tax.I notice all the main supermarkets have offers on items like that 200g expensive coffee jars down from £6 to £4, and other popular branded items rotating between from one supermarket to the other every so many weeks. Websites like mysupermarket shows you what and where. Poundland poundstretcher homebargains b&m seem to offer those sorts of deals consistently so worth a look if looking at the pennies and pounds carefully

Intelligent shopping.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants