Shocking customer service at Halfords

Posted 27th Dec 2019
Absolutely shocking customer service
Had a booking at 12 for a bike rack to be fitted so was booked in 12-12.30 so me and the two kids arrive at 11.50 drop car off and came back at 12.30 to see car still parked up with no bike rack. As we look around another person is having a bike rack fitted and they was booked in for 11.30 however they arrived late and wasn't even there when we dropped our car off at 11.50. Our 2 year old was getting restless as you can imagine so we said listen this isn't acceptable give us our keys back and we will go elsewhere and to the amusement of the staff at the tills it was all very funny for them for some strange reason. Keys was handed back to us with no apology from the 4 staff at the tills and it's right up there with worst customer service I've experienced

I called Halfords customer service to complain about the store and they said they would call the store to speak to the manager and for me to expect a call back today with at least an apology and of course we didn't receive no call

Anything else I can try?

I don't want them to get away with how bad the customer service was
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
If that's right up there with the worst CS you've ever experienced then you've had a great life!!!
I don’t want to be the clown here but honestly it’s best to leave it. It’s not worth your time surely
efc_4ever27/12/2019 21:51

Sorry but did you not read everything?The staff found it funny and with no …Sorry but did you not read everything?The staff found it funny and with no apologyNow along with the fact that we was booked in for a 12 - 12.30 slot and that not being met and the fact they decided to attend to the lady who was booked in for 11.30-12 and she turned up late at around 12 and still decided to attend to her first then if that's not shocking customer service I'm not sure what is

That lady probably thought it was excellent customer service.
mutley128/12/2019 00:22

i never understand why people take cars into halfords to be looked at as …i never understand why people take cars into halfords to be looked at as they are a bike store so how skilled are they going to be with your car engine? why don't people just take their car to a proper garage?

A bike rack.
40 Comments
I don’t want to be the clown here but honestly it’s best to leave it. It’s not worth your time surely
If that's right up there with the worst CS you've ever experienced then you've had a great life!!!
Maybe just fit the bike rack yourself and try to move on from it? Life’s too short to get yourself stressed out over it.
They are in the wrong job. No doubt about it
Halfords suck. The service you received is standard from them.
There a bunch of cowboys, been like it for years.
Seems shocking that this CS should be described as shocking.
My list of retailers who have mastered the art of crap service and who I subsequently avoid spending money with:

B&Q
Currys/PC World
Halfords
Sports Direct

At a time when bricks and mortar retailers are fighting for survival, you would think in store customer service would be the number 1 priority but for some retailers it's too late as it's now part of their DNA.

EDIT: To include Sports Direct - How could I forget them!!
Edited by: "HappyShopper" 28th Dec 2019
HappyShopper27/12/2019 21:17

My list of retailers who have mastered the art of crap service and who I …My list of retailers who have mastered the art of crap service and who I subsequently avoid spending money with:B&QCurrys/PC WorldHalfordsAt a time when bricks and mortar retailers are fighting for survival, you would think in store customer service would be the number 1 priority but for some retailers it's too late as it's now part of their DNA.

Oh yes Currys absolutely. Couldn't agree more and now Halfords are on my list to never spend a penny with them again
Whack it on Twitter, tagging Halfords. A little bit of widespread negative publicity usually does the trick.
Try getting on with your life. The manager may be on holiday.
You are lucky they never damaged your car. Now that would have been worse by far.
HappyShopper27/12/2019 21:17

My list of retailers who have mastered the art of crap service and who I …My list of retailers who have mastered the art of crap service and who I subsequently avoid spending money with:B&QCurrys/PC WorldHalfordsAt a time when bricks and mortar retailers are fighting for survival, you would think in store customer service would be the number 1 priority but for some retailers it's too late as it's now part of their DNA.

B & Crud are definitely top of the list.
Why shocking? Has the OP ever worked in Customer Services or the Service Sector? Doesn't sound like it. Yes booking an appointment should offer a proviso that the intended work should start at 12-12.30pm but with any repair, maintenance or fitting, the service can take longer, have complications or run late. Yes staff should be polite courteous at most times, but you should be realistic in your demands and as a precaution provide extra leeway for delays.
nemesiz27/12/2019 21:45

Why shocking? Has the OP ever worked in Customer Services or the Service …Why shocking? Has the OP ever worked in Customer Services or the Service Sector? Doesn't sound like it. Yes booking an appointment should offer a proviso that the intended work should start at 12-12.30pm but with any repair, maintenance or fitting, the service can take longer, have complications or run late. Yes staff should be polite courteous at most times, but you should be realistic in your demands and as a precaution provide extra leeway for delays.

Sorry but did you not read everything?

The staff found it funny and with no apology

Now along with the fact that we was booked in for a 12 - 12.30 slot and that not being met and the fact they decided to attend to the lady who was booked in for 11.30-12 and she turned up late at around 12 and still decided to attend to her first then if that's not shocking customer service I'm not sure what is
Edited by: "efc_4ever" 27th Dec 2019
Many places like Halfords strive on saving money by employing young immature, inexperienced staff. Spend your money elsewhere, Halfords staff are useless, i wouldn't trust them with my car, they put my bicycle together and left the handle bars out of line by an inch, seat and wheels dangerously loose and acted like children when i asked to use their tools to make the bike safe to ride home. Absolute imbeciles
Halfords is awful, i do try and stay away from them where possible.
Just put review on trust pilot not worth chasing them to get an apology.
Probably just grow up and get a little perspective.

Sorry but did you not read everything?The staff found it funny and with no …Sorry but did you not read everything?The staff found it funny and with no apologyNow along with the fact that we was booked in for a 12 - 12.30 slot and that not being met and the fact they decided to attend to the lady who was booked in for 11.30-12 and she turned up late at around 12 and still decided to attend to her first then if that's not shocking customer service I'm not sure what is

The manager should call you back soon. I once left negative feedback on an email they sent asking about my visit and I received a call from the store manager
i never understand why people take cars into halfords to be looked at as they are a bike store so how skilled are they going to be with your car engine? why don't people just take their car to a proper garage?
mutley128/12/2019 00:22

i never understand why people take cars into halfords to be looked at as …i never understand why people take cars into halfords to be looked at as they are a bike store so how skilled are they going to be with your car engine? why don't people just take their car to a proper garage?

A bike rack.
Halfords staff are generally on low hour contracts and simply won't give a hoot. The late person would've called to say they were running late and be met with 'no problem! see you when you arrive' rather than 'tough monkey, plan your life better' as such they've overrun with no staff to cover.

Manager might authorise a discount. But if you're after some kind of false apology, i can't see it'd really make a difference? unless you're looking to offer some kind of unpaid consultancy for Halfords.
mug5127/12/2019 22:46

Diggsy27/12/2019 21:19

Whack it on Twitter, tagging Halfords. A little bit of widespread negative …Whack it on Twitter, tagging Halfords. A little bit of widespread negative publicity usually does the trick.

I think even this rant would get laughed at. If ever the phrase 'first world problems' is appropriate, then this is it.

Sorry but did you not read everything?The staff found it funny and with no …Sorry but did you not read everything?The staff found it funny and with no apology Now along with the fact that we was booked in for a 12 - 12.30 slot and that not being met and the fact they decided to attend to the lady who was booked in for 11.30-12 and she turned up late at around 12 and still decided to attend to her first then if that's not shocking customer service I'm not sure what is

Yes read the response, no disrespect to yourself but Halfords initially did the correct action by trying to fit the late customer's car. Would you decline a sale, cause a raucous and waste precious time arguing? Yes communication was inappropriate especially not explaining the delays but in that situation most Sales Technicians would attempt to fix the Car (Product) and catch up with later appointments, and hope that other customers understand! If this was any other industry or service would you have accepted the wait if behind schedule ? I.e Doctors / Dentists appointment, waiting for a Bus or Taxi, eating out in a restaurant. Like I said be realistic and understanding.

I've skirted over the laughter, as this interpretation and reasoning could be completely different to what happened. i.e. The Technicians and Sales staff could be laughing over customers demands, derision, disbelief, past transitions, general jokes etc.

Concerning the complaint what do you want out of it (conclusion)? An apology, chastisement and retraining of staff, sacking, discount, or free fitting? If it's a polite warning and staff warned over their behaviour, then yes you're right and a good manager should investigate and if appropriate knock a few heads together. Anything else doubtful, especially with a large national company.
deeky28/12/2019 07:12

You've never used Very then?

I have a order history list longer than my arm, never had an issue. Always got fantastic deals by only ordering when they have huge sales or cashback offers.
I guess most people who have issues are probably with customer service. Im happy ive never needed to deal with them
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 28th Dec 2019
Mark_Hickman28/12/2019 08:21

I have a order history list longer than my arm, never had an issue. Always …I have a order history list longer than my arm, never had an issue. Always got fantastic deals by only ordering when they have huge sales or cashback offers.I guess most people who have issues are probably with customer service. Im happy ive never needed to deal with them

That's exactly right. I just hope you never have to.
nemesiz28/12/2019 06:43

Yes read the response, no disrespect to yourself but Halfords initially …Yes read the response, no disrespect to yourself but Halfords initially did the correct action by trying to fit the late customer's car. Would you decline a sale, cause a raucous and waste precious time arguing? Yes communication was inappropriate especially not explaining the delays but in that situation most Sales Technicians would attempt to fix the Car (Product) and catch up with later appointments, and hope that other customers understand! If this was any other industry or service would you have accepted the wait if behind schedule ? I.e Doctors / Dentists appointment, waiting for a Bus or Taxi, eating out in a restaurant. Like I said be realistic and understanding.I've skirted over the laughter, as this interpretation and reasoning could be completely different to what happened. i.e. The Technicians and Sales staff could be laughing over customers demands, derision, disbelief, past transitions, general jokes etc. Concerning the complaint what do you want out of it (conclusion)? An apology, chastisement and retraining of staff, sacking, discount, or free fitting? If it's a polite warning and staff warned over their behaviour, then yes you're right and a good manager should investigate and if appropriate knock a few heads together. Anything else doubtful, especially with a large national company.

WRONG my friend

As you just stated that initially Halfords did the correct thing by fitting the late customer's car in

this is incorrect

We called customer complaints and the lady on the phone informed us that once you go 15 mins over your agreed appointment time the customer would be called by Halfords to tell them that they would have to re arrange for another day so you either work for Halfords and have the same stupid customer service skills as them or your trying to sound like you know everything and you clearly don't
Probably just Christmas temps laughing at the state of the shop they work in
efc_4ever28/12/2019 09:31

WRONG my friendAs you just stated that initially Halfords did the correct …WRONG my friendAs you just stated that initially Halfords did the correct thing by fitting the late customer's car in this is incorrectWe called customer complaints and the lady on the phone informed us that once you go 15 mins over your agreed appointment time the customer would be called by Halfords to tell them that they would have to re arrange for another day so you either work for Halfords and have the same stupid customer service skills as them or your trying to sound like you know everything and you clearly don't

And how do you know you’re right?

Ok Sherlock Holmes....... so you dropped your car off at 11:50hrs and the lady booked in for 11:30hrs - 12:00hrs. When you dropped your car off and wondered off in a westerly direction, that allowed the lady 10mins to arrive before her allocated time slot ends. Say she arrives as your walking away.... or 1 min later, or even 9 mins 59 seconds later..... Or (and lets keep our minds open about this) - as you say, she can be up to 15 mins late over your agreed time slot, meaning she could arrive at 12:15.
Ive been in your situation many times over the years. But unfortunately, it happens. And will carry on happening. I can’t remember the last time I went to any appointment which was done in the allocated time.
I also totally agree with nemesiz with the comments about the laughing. Yeah, it doesn’t look great but they could be laughing nervously while you throw your toys out the pram.

My opinion - you’re not going to get anything from it so don’t pursue it, you’re just going to wind yourself up. Best to sit down, have a cup of tea and get onto YouTube and learn how easy it is to fit a bike rack.
efc_4ever28/12/2019 09:31

WRONG my friendAs you just stated that initially Halfords did the correct …WRONG my friendAs you just stated that initially Halfords did the correct thing by fitting the late customer's car in this is incorrectWe called customer complaints and the lady on the phone informed us that once you go 15 mins over your agreed appointment time the customer would be called by Halfords to tell them that they would have to re arrange for another day so you either work for Halfords and have the same stupid customer service skills as them or your trying to sound like you know everything and you clearly don't

Hi efc_4ever. I hope you are well.

I think we can all see you are aggrieved by how you were treated by Halfords. No one would dispute that. However, I hate to see threads turn into a tit-for-tat slanging match between members so please don't go on the offensive with some of us. We can only see one side of a clearly two-sided affair so some comments might seem to go 'against the grain' as it were. I don't think any disrespect or malice is intended towards you - as some have stated.

If you think about it for a second, the CS reps are a bit like us here. They are only going to see one side so will ALWAYS tell you what you wish to hear - i.e. the company line. They are correct in doing this but also remember that the staff in the store will also be wanting to provide a service too so more than likely skipped policy and sorted the lady who turned up late, as a courtesy. To you, this seems wrong/unjustified - yet to her, excellent customer service. Ironic, I know but it's the Ying & Yang of life (and business) - as they saying(s) go: To make an omelette / can't please ALL the people etc...

May I ask (as I haven't seen a comment as such) what they were laughing at? Was it directly AT you or do you mean you could sense/tell they were 'sniggering' behind your back about the situation? I know how annoying this can be (as I've been on the receiving end myself in the past) but also how it can be misconstrued at a volatile moment. Did you attempt to ask them what was so funny? I can understand that it's not the best time to be confrontational whist trying to juggle two children as well though...

I know it has been asked of you before but what conclusion would you like to see? I do understand how you feel as sometimes we just want to know that someone, somewhere in the company is aware that they have made a poor judgement call and have upset a customer. The thing is, I'm pretty sure that you won't be returning to Halfords EVEN IF they contacted you - once bitten, twice shy and all so I'm thinking of the endgame here? If it were me, I would write an actual pen & paper letter detailing my complaint and send it "signed for" so you know it gets there. Explain how you felt you were treated and hope that they can pass those feelings on to the staff/store for further investigation. This way, you may gain a bit of closure to the whole thing. A letter, directed at the appropriate person can sometimes cement a grievance better than a phone rant/Email can. I don't know why? Perhaps as it's something tangible and real as opposed to a 'digital' moan...

Don't let this get you down, efc_4ever. In the grand scheme, it's not worth it. In a month or two, it'll all be forgotten and you'll be enjoying life with your children in the new year. Let's hope it's a great one, eh?

All the very best to you & yours, Phsy.
ktm66628/12/2019 10:39

And how do you know you’re right?Ok Sherlock Holmes....... so you dropped y …And how do you know you’re right?Ok Sherlock Holmes....... so you dropped your car off at 11:50hrs and the lady booked in for 11:30hrs - 12:00hrs. When you dropped your car off and wondered off in a westerly direction, that allowed the lady 10mins to arrive before her allocated time slot ends. Say she arrives as your walking away.... or 1 min later, or even 9 mins 59 seconds later..... Or (and lets keep our minds open about this) - as you say, she can be up to 15 mins late over your agreed time slot, meaning she could arrive at 12:15. Ive been in your situation many times over the years. But unfortunately, it happens. And will carry on happening. I can’t remember the last time I went to any appointment which was done in the allocated time. I also totally agree with nemesiz with the comments about the laughing. Yeah, it doesn’t look great but they could be laughing nervously while you throw your toys out the pram.My opinion - you’re not going to get anything from it so don’t pursue it, you’re just going to wind yourself up. Best to sit down, have a cup of tea and get onto YouTube and learn how easy it is to fit a bike rack.

We arrived at 11.50 and her car wasn't parked up outside Halfords then

It was a huge car very hard to miss and we left Halfords at 12 and left our car keys. We came back at 12.30 and her car was parked outside Halfords to the left and not in the designated spots that are available for the we fit bookings

When we went into complain the staff member on the till even said she arrived late for her appointment
rev628/12/2019 01:39

A bike rack.

i am talking about people taking their cars into halfords for a service / check over. there is a huge forecourt for cars at our local halfords and i see them checking the engine and advising the drivers about engine oil, battery, car tyres etc.

the halfords staff look about 18 year so i doubt they would have enough experience to advise on cars. i would think taking advice from someone who works at the garage when you take your car in for the annual service would be better advice.
Belter
mutley128/12/2019 10:48

i am talking about people taking their cars into halfords for a service / …i am talking about people taking their cars into halfords for a service / check over. there is a huge forecourt for cars at our local halfords and i see them checking the engine and advising the drivers about engine oil, battery, car tyres etc. the halfords staff look about 18 year so i doubt they would have enough experience to advise on cars. i would think taking advice from someone who works at the garage when you take your car in for the annual service would be better advice.

To be fair, it’s not about age or experience, it’s about ability - not that I’m defending Halfords...!
I’ve met plenty of experienced 40+ yr old mechanics and even garage owners I wouldn’t trust with a screw driver!! Whilst I’ve also met 18 years olds who are in training who are keen and knowledgable.
I think the lesson to be learnt is do it yourself or find someone you trust!
ktm66628/12/2019 11:21

To be fair, it’s not about age or experience, it’s about ability - not tha …To be fair, it’s not about age or experience, it’s about ability - not that I’m defending Halfords...! I’ve met plenty of experienced 40+ yr old mechanics and even garage owners I wouldn’t trust with a screw driver!! Whilst I’ve also met 18 years olds who are in training who are keen and knowledgable. I think the lesson to be learnt is do it yourself or find someone you trust!

i would be inclined to listen to the advice of an 18 year old working at a garage than those working at halfords. people working at a garage will have real experience whereas those working at halfords are pretty much shop assistants and what they know have been learnt from a training lecture or googling, which you can do yourself.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions