Shocking HPI Clear damaged vehicles....

Posted 24th Sep
I came a cross this on Facebook recently. There is company out there which provides HPI Reports with a little twist as they match salvage records (auctions of damaged vehicles) to their reports and it turns out many HPI Clear vehicles have hidden history...

It was actually covered by AutoExpress in March and somehow went unnoticed:

autoexpress.co.uk/car…our

Some examples:

autotrader.co.uk/cla…083

3299219.jpg

3299219.jpg

autotrader.co.uk/cla…316

3299219.jpg3299219.jpg
autotrader.co.uk/cla…845

3299219.jpg3299219.jpg

autotrader.co.uk/cla…535

3299219.jpg3299219.jpg

Their facebook page has plenty more: facebook.com/vch….uk

It got me worried big time about the whole HPI system. Was anybody aware of this at all?
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

22 Comments
You said, "It got me worried big time about the whole HPI system. Was anybody aware of this at all?"

Yes, I am aware of this, decades before your joined date of 15th Jan 2019 to Hotukdeals, when I did spend some time to chase after these creative write-off-made-good traders. Where there is money, there are "Del-boys". Although in a post-PC world, there are also "Del-girls."
As above this has been happening for years.

Nothing new or shocking really.
Treboeth24/09/2019 13:15

As above this has been happening for years.Nothing new or shocking really.

How to check car's history then if HPI is useless?
splender24/09/2019 13:14

You said, "It got me worried big time about the whole HPI system. Was …You said, "It got me worried big time about the whole HPI system. Was anybody aware of this at all?"Yes, I am aware of this, decades before your joined date of 15th Jan 2019 to Hotukdeals, when I did spend some time to chase after these creative write-off-made-good traders. Where there is money, there are "Del-boys". Although in a post-PC world, there are also "Del-girls."

I am being stupid but I thought HPI is faultless for years and I alwasy trusted their check on all my car purchases?
interesting topic op
deleted1410297
I always get a gold experian check or something. Mate runs a garage so does them for me.
Is this an ad?
The car registrations (and reg change history) should be listed and readily available on the DVLA site as a downloadable Excel/Docs file. The fact data is hidden behind various paywalls just encourages people to do this in the hope buyers do not check properly.

It's just another excuse to PCP or Lease new.
Edited by: "Smeaton1724" 24th Sep
Patty3724/09/2019 14:23

Is this an ad?

No it is not, I have not even posted the name of company, just linked to article I found on FB
deleted141029724/09/2019 14:20

I always get a gold experian check or something. Mate runs a garage so …I always get a gold experian check or something. Mate runs a garage so does them for me.

That is the whole issue, all those cars above are clear on Experian/HPI/MyCatCheck etc.
joshlam24/09/2019 13:20

I am being stupid but I thought HPI is faultless for years and I alwasy …I am being stupid but I thought HPI is faultless for years and I alwasy trusted their check on all my car purchases?

Yes
Make.Amazon.Great.Again24/09/2019 14:31

Yes

Thanks for pointing obvious thing now I must have lived in different world and paying £20 for car reports. Should I not bother at all then, unless somebody can recommend something more reliable ?
joshlam24/09/2019 13:20

I am being stupid but I thought HPI is faultless for years and I alwasy …I am being stupid but I thought HPI is faultless for years and I alwasy trusted their check on all my car purchases?

You need to be specific, are you asking about trust and trust in what types of write-offs, A, B or S, N, C & D? You are not clear whether or not you have found A, B category write-offs which were passed as HPI Clear. Therefore, what breach of trust was it at HPI that you are alleging?

This "HPI Clear text book" says, amongst others: "A car that’s previously been classified as a Category A or B write-offs are unsafe and should never be returned to the road. A Category S, N, C or D write-off has an often be declared a total loss for economic reasons where the cost of the repair outweighed the value of the vehicle.Please note that Cat S, N, C & D write-offs can be safe to buy as long as you are sure of the extent of the damage and the quality of the repair."

And no system is perfect, and there are sharp practitioners (rogue traders) who cheat the systems, as often demonstrated by consumer programmes and reports.

At the end of the day, you said, "HPI is faultless..."
If this is not the case, did you go to HPI for redress and got your money back, if not you, others. The HPI is a contractual commitment and/or a trade description, if contract is breached or false trade descrption is made, you get redress. So, HPI is still trustworthy, depending how you define the word, "trust".
Edited by: "splender" 24th Sep
splender24/09/2019 15:21

You need to be specific, are you asking about trust and trust in what …You need to be specific, are you asking about trust and trust in what types of write-offs, A, B or S, N, C & D? You are not clear whether or not you have found A, B category write-offs which were passed as HPI Clear. Therefore, you lost trust as a result.This "text book" says: "A car that’s previously been classified as a Category A or B write-offs are unsafe and should never be returned to the road. A Category S, N, C or D write-off has an often be declared a total loss for economic reasons where the cost of the repair outweighed the value of the vehicle.Please note that Cat S, N, C & D write-offs can be safe to buy as long as you are sure of the extent of the damage and the quality of the repair."And no system is perfect, and there are sharp practitioners (rogue traders) who cheat the systems, as often demonstrated by consumer programmes and reports. At the end of the day, you said, "HPI is faultless..."If this is not the case, did you go to HPI for redress and got your money back, if not you, others. The HPI is a contractual commitment and/or a trade description, if contract is breached or false trade descrption is made, you get redress. So, HPI is still trustworthy, depending how you define the word, "trust".

I did a read on HPI guarantee and as far as I understand if car was missed from database due to not their own fault they take no responsibility.

I get the point about cheating the system but it looks like it was 90k cars last year alone which is missing from HPI. That made me think if there is a better system, or we just have to hope for the best? AutoExpress stated all car checking companies use single database for their reports, so if that database is wrong then no difference tbh. May as well pay £2 via txt message instead of £20 with HPI next time.

I am only surprised this is common knowledge as I was not aware of this.
joshlam24/09/2019 15:46

I did a read on HPI guarantee and as far as I understand if car was missed …I did a read on HPI guarantee and as far as I understand if car was missed from database due to not their own fault they take no responsibility.I get the point about cheating the system but it looks like it was 90k cars last year alone which is missing from HPI. That made me think if there is a better system, or we just have to hope for the best? AutoExpress stated all car checking companies use single database for their reports, so if that database is wrong then no difference tbh. May as well pay £2 via txt message instead of £20 with HPI next time.I am only surprised this is common knowledge as I was not aware of this.

The word "trust" is partly or mainly, built on their contractual terms. which are as follows. Your case of breach of trust should be based on their breach of their contractual liability or guarantee. It is always caveat emptor, read the blood-red terms and conditions (specifically the exemptions/exceptions). Did they breach their terms and conditions? If they did, then it is a lost of trust. If they didn't not, then there was no lost of trust. No company can be or should be liable to the acts of omissions of a third party unless expressly stated otherwise in law or in contract and this company was not at fault, such as being lazy with their data updates.

Let the buyer's beware means, you have to throw the marketing claims in the bin, and read the terms and conditions. (Weasel words like these are meaningless, "HPI Clear is the ultimate verification of a clear history on a vehicle and provides the buyer with complete peace of mind." However, if you believed "complete peace of mind" is breached, then go to Trading Standards and lodge a complaint against HPI. Or, you write sternly to HPI, what do they mean by "complete peace of mind." Does it mean:-

a) complete as meaning 100% peace of mind? Or,
b) 100% peace of mind except when the limitation of liability/exclusion applies which means 100% then becomes 0% peace of mind is possible since car's data is excluded. Another words, after reading their T's and C's exclusion, it is 100% clear to me that HPI disclaimed liability and there is 0% peace of mind for certain situations.

Their (HPI) T's&C's

The HPI Guarantee & Exclusion/Limitation of Liability

The Information we supply includes data supplied to us from a number of third party sources which we do not warrant as accurate. The HPI Check therefore includes a guarantee (the “HPI Guarantee”) which is designed to cover key types of financial loss (“Loss”, as described below at Condition 8 ) that you may suffer should your HPI Check provide any untrue, inaccurate or incomplete Information. The HPI Guarantee is subject to certain Terms and exclusions which may affect your ability to make a claim under it.We do not warrant that the Information is true, correct or complete and subject to 6.3 below we shall not (other than upon the terms of the HPI Guarantee) be liable in any circumstances for any loss or damage arising from any inaccuracies, faults or omissions in the Information, unless caused by our negligence or wilful default....8. What your HPI Guarantee does and does not cover .....
I must say people here are more knowledgeable than general plebs on FB Looks like HPI Reports are not worth the paper they are written on. Thanks for confirming all this. Nothing beats proper mechanical check in a friendly garage then.
joshlam24/09/2019 16:18

I must say people here are more knowledgeable than general plebs on FB I must say people here are more knowledgeable than general plebs on FB Looks like HPI Reports are not worth the paper they are written on. Thanks for confirming all this. Nothing beats proper mechanical check in a friendly garage then.

Exactly, I have highlighted in bold, "Another words, after reading their T's and C's exclusion, it is 100% clear to me that HPI disclaimed liability and there is 0% peace of mind for certain situations."

I have never paid for a HPI check, however, I have bought secondhand cars with HPI checks done, it is an indicator only. One needs to use other good indicators like: source of car, previous owner(s), service history, inspect underneath the car, lift up the carpet, lift out the panelling to see the welding...and so on.
joshlam24/09/2019 16:18

I must say people here are more knowledgeable than general plebs on FB I must say people here are more knowledgeable than general plebs on FB Looks like HPI Reports are not worth the paper they are written on. Thanks for confirming all this. Nothing beats proper mechanical check in a friendly garage then.

That isn't really a fair comment.
HPI and others provide a service which checks against a specific set of data. The cars that you are looking at are ones which have not gone through an insurance claim to be written off.
Hpi identifies cars which have been written off + imports + finance.

Lots of cars get damaged and there isn't (outside of the cat S/N/C/D) any recognised scheme for rating the level of damage. If a car is repaired rather than written off there isn't a register listing the cars.
mas9924/09/2019 16:45

That isn't really a fair comment.HPI and others provide a service which …That isn't really a fair comment.HPI and others provide a service which checks against a specific set of data. The cars that you are looking at are ones which have not gone through an insurance claim to be written off. Hpi identifies cars which have been written off + imports + finance.Lots of cars get damaged and there isn't (outside of the cat S/N/C/D) any recognised scheme for rating the level of damage. If a car is repaired rather than written off there isn't a register listing the cars.

Those cars I posted WERE subject to insurance claims. AutoExpress article explains it all. I had to read it twice to get my head round it but in short way not every car written off goes on HPI record. As it turns out it is as many as 1 in 9 write-offs.
This has always been going on, now if you want to see something scary watch this car get bodged together and put back on the road, although i have to say this guy is extremely talented but it shouldn't happen.
Mark_Hickman24/09/2019 18:57

This has always been going on, now if you want to see something scary …This has always been going on, now if you want to see something scary watch this car get bodged together and put back on the road, although i have to say this guy is extremely talented but it shouldn't happen.[Video]

He has whole YT channel. I like this guy I think his repairs are quite good.

youtube.com/cha…oyA
Edited by: "joshlam" 24th Sep
joshlam24/09/2019 20:15

He has whole YT channel. I like this guy I think his repairs are quite …He has whole YT channel. I like this guy I think his repairs are quite good.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJDyqaoyVtWKhCiTPZVOoyA

Definitely but a car like the one i linked will be much weaker and not protect you as it would originally in an accident, but im fascinated watching his work
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants