Groups

Shocking news in Glasgow

A heavy police presence remains in place in the suburb of Penilee after a 35-year-old was shot at around 9.05am near St George’s RC primary school on Muirdykes Road on Monday.

Police said the man was being treated in hospital, where his condition was described as stable.

Ch Insp Simon Jeacocke said it was “a highly unusual incident” and that parents, staff and pupils were understandably very alarmed. “We do believe it was a targeted attack but nonetheless this took place near to a local primary school at the start of the school day, when the area was busy with parents dropping off their children,” he said.

“Although it would appear that there was an intended victim, anyone could have been injured as a result, putting young children and innocent people at risk. The pupils are now safe at school and additional police patrols are in the area to provide extra reassurance over the next couple of days. Please do not hesitate to approach my officers if you are concerned at all.”

34 Comments

davewave

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jan/16/police-confirm-shooting-st-georges-primary-school-glasgow

Jeezo.

Have I missed the point (probably)? What's the shocking bit of this news?

peeej1978

Well, I suppose that if you were the parent of a child at St Georges Primary School in Glasgow, it may (or may not depending who or what you knew) be something of a shock. Otherwise, it's what passes for news on a quiet news day.

peeej1978

So shootings outside primary schools at 9,05 am happen regularly in your part of the world?

Awful but its not really that shocking when you think about it, there are around 600 murders committed using firearms every year in the UK, many more incidents that don't result in death. It's bound to happen near schools from time to time, afaik there are (very approximately) 20,000+ schools in the UK.

spaceinvader

Awful but its not really that shocking when you think about it, there are … Awful but its not really that shocking when you think about it, there are around 600 murders committed using firearms every year in the UK, many more incidents that don't result in death. It's bound to happen near schools from time to time, afaik there are (very approximately) 20,000+ schools in the UK.

There's as many supermarkets but when was the last time someone was murdered there?

The only case I know of was Arthur the one pound assassin who was asked to silently kill a partner by a jilted lover
    Unfortunately he got confused and strangled two in the toilets

The headlines were.................... wait for it....

Arti chokes two for a pound at Tesco's !

Ta da!

Edited by: "sowotsdis" 16th Jan

BTW Davewave they weren't Jerusalem artichokes.......
    'cos I know that would really upset you especially if they came from the Jewish part?

sowotsdis

There's as many supermarkets but when was the last time someone was … There's as many supermarkets but when was the last time someone was murdered there?

Rather ironically the chap who was shot was cleared of murdering someone outside a supermarket!

bbc.co.uk/new…303
    Edited by: "cdm22" 16th Jan

Original Poster

sowotsdis

BTW Davewave they weren't Jerusalem artichokes.......'cos I know that … BTW Davewave they weren't Jerusalem artichokes.......'cos I know that would really upset you especially if they came from the Jewish part?

http://m.memegen.com/ymd2mg.jpg

sowotsdis

So shootings outside primary schools at 9,05 am happen regularly in your … So shootings outside primary schools at 9,05 am happen regularly in your part of the world?

Plenty of shootings here in Birmingham yes. I agree it's disgraceful, but I wouldn't say shocking. It's just a sad sign of the times. And really, compared to the vast majority of the world, we have very little Gun crime to complain about.

I would be shocked if it happened round here. We had a murder a couple of years ago about five hundred yards from here and I can assure you that everyone was in total shock and disbelief. I don't think murder is something to be blase about.

peeej1978

I agree it's disgraceful, but I wouldn't say shocking.

It's clickbait. Videos are even worse. There's one in particular (that I can't remember - Storyful or something), and there's never any normal footage. Everything is shocking, incredible, unbelievable, amazing, stunning, etc.:D

Original Poster

Quietus

It's clickbait. Videos are even worse. There's one in particular (that I … It's clickbait. Videos are even worse. There's one in particular (that I can't remember - Storyful or something), and there's never any normal footage. Everything is shocking, incredible, unbelievable, amazing, stunning, etc.:D

This is a real story, not an internet event. Real gun. Try to discern.

13norfolk

I would be shocked if it happened round here. We had a murder a couple of … I would be shocked if it happened round here. We had a murder a couple of years ago about five hundred yards from here and I can assure you that everyone was in total shock and disbelief. I don't think murder is something to be blase about.

But the victim wasn't murdered. He is apparently in a stable condition in hospital. Although he was, apparently, tried for a gangland murder in 2012 and found not guilty. He seems like a nice chap. (_;)

Banned

RonChew

But the victim wasn't murdered. He is apparently in a stable condition in … But the victim wasn't murdered. He is apparently in a stable condition in hospital. Although he was, apparently, tried for a gangland murder in 2012 and found not guilty. He seems like a nice chap. (_;)

I would be more worried about who shot him (near a school @ opening time) rather than the victim.

YouDontWantToKnow

I would be more worried about who shot him (near a school @ opening time) … I would be more worried about who shot him (near a school @ opening time) rather than the victim.

If you live somewhere near where the shooting occurred, you should probably be worried at a likely retribution shooting in the near future. It looks like something may be going up in gangland Glasgow.

YouDontWantToKnow

I would be more worried about who shot him (near a school @ opening time) … I would be more worried about who shot him (near a school @ opening time) rather than the victim.

Well at least his head would have been considerably higher than the kids' heads

bet you a £10 bag of heroin this is drug related

could have easily finished him there so just a warning i guess

spaceinvader

Awful but its not really that shocking when you think about it, there are … Awful but its not really that shocking when you think about it, there are around 600 murders committed using firearms every year in the UK, many more incidents that don't result in death. It's bound to happen near schools from time to time, afaik there are (very approximately) 20,000+ schools in the UK.

600 deaths by firearms - Source?

I'm not even sure there were 600 murders last year

Banned

RonChew

If you live somewhere near where the shooting occurred, you should … If you live somewhere near where the shooting occurred, you should probably be worried at a likely retribution shooting in the near future. It looks like something may be going up in gangland Glasgow.

Probably he got shot after dropping his kids off at school & that is how they found him.

Not many drug dealers are up at 9am

Original Poster

chocci

600 deaths by firearms - Source? I'm not even sure there were 600 … 600 deaths by firearms - Source? I'm not even sure there were 600 murders last year

average is about 50 deaths per year by firearms in UK per year, not 600!!

Banned

chocci

600 deaths by firearms - Source? I'm not even sure there were 600 … 600 deaths by firearms - Source? I'm not even sure there were 600 murders last year

Usually around 550-650 murders a year in total

edit:forgot Scotland & NI
    Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 16th Jan

davewave

This is a real story, not an internet event. Real gun. Try to discern.

Then don't label it in the same clickbaity, sensationalist way. "Man Shot in Glasgow" would have done you.:p

Original Poster

Quietus

Then don't label it in the same clickbaity, sensationalist way. "Man Shot … Then don't label it in the same clickbaity, sensationalist way. "Man Shot in Glasgow" would have done you.:p

do you class yourself as some type of chief editor, whatever mate?

davewave

I'm going to assume you're not serious.

davewave

You're saying it's news, but then sensationalising it by using click bait words such as "shocking". It's either news or it's your sensationalised version of it. The story isn't really all that shocking hence people accusing you of click-baiting. Can't have it both ways

Original Poster

peeej1978

You're saying it's news, but then sensationalising it by using click bait … You're saying it's news, but then sensationalising it by using click bait words such as "shocking". It's either news or it's your sensationalised version of it. The story isn't really all that shocking hence people accusing you of click-baiting. Can't have it both ways

murder by a firearm is shocking, this obsession you have with 'click-bait' is irrelevant when the story is shocking.

davewave

murder by a firearm is shocking, this obsession you have with … murder by a firearm is shocking, this obsession you have with 'click-bait' is irrelevant when the story is shocking.

The general consensus in this thread so far seem to be that a shooting isn't really that shocking. Might be disgraceful, abhorrent and wrong. But not really that shocking. You could've just stated the facts but then you wouldn't have got so many people reading your thread.

peeej1978

The general consensus in this thread so far seem to be that a shooting … The general consensus in this thread so far seem to be that a shooting isn't really that shocking. Might be disgraceful, abhorrent and wrong. But not really that shocking. You could've just stated the facts but then you wouldn't have got so many people reading your thread.

What's your point?

dtovey89

What's your point?

My point is pretty clear if you take the time to read the thread.

Original Poster

peeej1978

The general consensus in this thread so far seem to be that a shooting … The general consensus in this thread so far seem to be that a shooting isn't really that shocking. Might be disgraceful, abhorrent and wrong. But not really that shocking. You could've just stated the facts but then you wouldn't have got so many people reading your thread.

​new to Misc?... you seem to have an axe to grind about the word shocking.

Just chill, you seem to have shockingly fitted into the Misc community at warp speed, trying to derail this thread by obsessing about one word.

Its almost like we have chatted before, shockingly so.

davewave

​new to Misc?... you seem to have an axe to grind about the word s … ​new to Misc?... you seem to have an axe to grind about the word shocking. Just chill, you seem to have shockingly fitted into the Misc community at warp speed, trying to derail this thread by obsessing about one word.Its almost like we have chatted before, shockingly so.

LoL. Not wanting to derail at all. I'm just agreeing with the others that feel clickbait titles are a bit lame. I'm not alone in my opinion. I agree the news item is sad. Just don't think your tabloid titles are warranted.

Original Poster

peeej1978

LoL. Not wanting to derail at all. I'm just agreeing with the others that … LoL. Not wanting to derail at all. I'm just agreeing with the others that feel clickbait titles are a bit lame. I'm not alone in my opinion. I agree the news item is sad. Just don't think your tabloid titles are warranted.

LOL - you are funny, thanks for your input and welcome to MISC 'new guy'.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767395
      2. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would28106
      3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17866384
      4. *** Weekly game codes giveaway 188 ***1630

See more discussions