Groups

Shop Direct Group fails to refund original postage cost for a returned item

I recently returned a mobile phone within 7 days of receipt because I was unhappy with it. The return was confirmed by Additions Direct and I received a refund to my card for the amount of the item but not the £3.95 delivery charge.

I've contacted them and they've informed that as it wasn't faulty they weren't able to refund the amount of postage.

I know this is absolute tosh, as it states clearly in the Distance Selling Regulations that a consumer is able to cancel an order within 7 days for a FULL refund. It shouldn't be up to the consumer to chase them up on this.

This isn't the 1st time it's happened, as I ordered a Printer from them a couple of months ago and that was cancelled (because of a 'pricing error') and they also failed to refund the postage charge (and that was without actually receiving the item)
    If they fail to refund when I call them again, would I be able to reclaim this amount by speaking to my Credit Card company?

15 Comments

My Case was worse as the Item I ordered was out of stocj before it was despatched and the amount was refunded less the postage fees.... bunch of Scums..

Banned

full refund applies to the item cost I believe, not shipping. Why should they take a loss cos you wanted a trial on their goods?

ive always got the postage fees back on returned goods from them so try again give them another call

Don't think so. Check the Distance Selling Act for yourself, but I'm pretty sure that you're only entitled to a refund on postage for faulty goods. If you change your mind, getting it back to them is up to you, and at your expense.

Banned

csiman;8687040

full refund applies to the item cost I believe, not shipping. Why should … full refund applies to the item cost I believe, not shipping. Why should they take a loss cos you wanted a trial on their goods?

I thought this had always been the case, postage back if faulty under dsr's.

dxx;8687073

Don't think so. Check the Distance Selling Act for yourself, but I'm … Don't think so. Check the Distance Selling Act for yourself, but I'm pretty sure that you're only entitled to a refund on postage for faulty goods. If you change your mind, getting it back to them is up to you, and at your expense.

i agree but like i said ive always got it back what else can i say !!

Banned

q44q;8687191

i agree but like i said ive always got it back what else can i say !!

Discretion maybe? You'll find you get more if you don't phone up screaming the soga/dsr's at every oppurtunity ending up with egg on your face in some cases.

tinkerbell28;8687104

I thought this had always been the case, postage back if faulty under … I thought this had always been the case, postage back if faulty under dsr's.

+1 I thought that too, cant expect to try something out for nothing, as they cant even sell the phone as new anymore

EDIT - I did however find this "The Regulations generally give you the right to change your mind and claim a full refund (including postage) up to the point where you receive the goods. After you receive the goods you have 7 working days (beginning the day after you receive the goods) to inspect the goods and, if they are not suitable, return the goods for a full refund."

(search Google for "Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 - template to return goods bought by distance methods" and you'll find an official page from consumerdirect.gov.uk stating this)

so you would probably have to read the sites own T&C to see what they say as its not 100% according to the regs

might be worth reading some of the posts here and maybe watching the video bbc.co.uk/blo…tml

When you returned the item did you write to them to tell them you are cancelling under the DSR ?

Your Statutory Right To Cancel Your OrderFor most items, you have the … Your Statutory Right To Cancel Your OrderFor most items, you have the legal right to cancel your order within 7 working days of receiving the goods. However, this does not apply to certain items such as personalised products, perishable goods and audio or video recordings or computer software which has been opened. If you wish to cancel using this right, you need to inform us in writing within 7 working days starting the day after you received the goods. You must take reasonable care of the goods and immediately return them to us in the normal way. We will not consider that you have taken reasonable care of the goods if they have been used in a way, or to an extent, beyond what would be reasonable when examining the goods in a shop before purchase.

Original Poster

dcx_badass;8687395

They don't owe you the postage back, why should they have to lose out.

Yes they do, under the Distance Selling Regulations.

I've checked their terms and they fail to mention anything about postage refunds, therefore these regulations should stand

So you have checked there terms, did you follow the procedure i mentioned above which you chose to ignore which is in there terms and conditions ?

Original Poster

deanos;8698319

So you have checked there terms, did you follow the procedure i mentioned … So you have checked there terms, did you follow the procedure i mentioned above which you chose to ignore which is in there terms and conditions ?

No I didn't, I called them and asked for a return.

I didn't realise that you had to cancel USING the DSR, I assumed it was an automatic right.

I still think it should be refunded, as it doesn't state anywhere in Additions Direct terms about not refunding postage for an unwanted good

I disagree if you didn't cancel as stated in the terms they will presume its just a normal return.

Just chalk it up to experience and remember to do it properly next time you will then have grounds to claim it back :thumbsup:

what about the fact the return shipping is free?

Usually you would be expected to pay return shipping with other retailers (Amazon etc) but shop direct collect the item for free, to be honest the fact you have changed your mind should not entitle you to a full refund.

If that was the case and they had thousands of people doing this daily, they would soon be out of business.

i got scammed too by them bought a coat in the sale for £30 was £90 and some socks for £2.95..

Guess what the coat was out of stock but the got the socks and got charged full delivery..

Stopped using additions, they are scammers...
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Sad news about Barcelona24111
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764166
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?27122
      4. Any PS4 News Here29213616

See more discussions