Shop won't offer refund

Found 15th Dec 2017
My girlfriend went shopping and bought me a t-shirt. I am happy for the jesture however the t-shirt was £160 yes one hundred and sixty pounds. I would never spend this amount of money in clothing, certainly not a t-shirt. Anyhow I want to get a refund, or her to get a refund so the money can be used for something useful. The shop is only offering exchanges or store credit.

What's the best way to deal with this situation as the shop is definitely not somewhere I would shop at. So the store credit is useless.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments

Can you post a picture of the £160 t-shirt please, I'm intrigued

ChristopherJZ8 m ago

[Image] this is the £160 t-shirt. I'm genuinely so upset she spent so much …[Image] this is the £160 t-shirt. I'm genuinely so upset she spent so much on a t-shirt.

and I thought £16 T shirts were expensive.

Feel your pain though dude

Can you return the gf for a refund? She sounds like a bad deal...

Legally the shop HAS to offer a minimum of 2 options to you,seems they have gone down the same route as Sports Direct by making this 2 options exchange or credit note,as said nothing you can do!!
Maybe you could pick out the gold stitching that I assume it’s made with for that price and weigh it in
Edited by: "Pvfc1234567890" 15th Dec 2017
32 Comments

Stores don't have to refund. Google consumers rights but I don't think you can get a refund

Whats the shop?

As smokecat says you have no right to a refund (assuming she bought it in store), but most places offer refunds on xmas presents.

Sadly, if she bought the T shirt in-store and there is nothing wrong with the shirt you have no rights for a refund - it is down to the store's discretion. Unfortunately this is likely to end up as a very expensive lesson.

Unfortunately brick and mortar shops are under no obligation to offer a refund unless what you have bought is damaged. You could try and speak to the manager and explain your plight, but any refund would be a gesture of goodwill. If it is store policy not to offer refunds at all then it is possible that the manager's hands are tied and he/she may not have the authority to authorise a refund.

You're not entitled to a refund, so if the shop is offering a store credit, take and try to sell it to someone who does shop in that particular store.

Legally the shop HAS to offer a minimum of 2 options to you,seems they have gone down the same route as Sports Direct by making this 2 options exchange or credit note,as said nothing you can do!!
Maybe you could pick out the gold stitching that I assume it’s made with for that price and weigh it in
Edited by: "Pvfc1234567890" 15th Dec 2017

Pvfc12345678908 m ago

Legally the shop HAS to offer a minimum of 2 options to you,seems they …Legally the shop HAS to offer a minimum of 2 options to you,seems they have gone down the same route as Sports Direct by making this 2 options exchange or credit note,as said nothing you can do!!Maybe you could pick out the gold stitching that I assume it’s made with for that price and weigh it in

There are no laws which say that a retailer must offer you a particular number of options. I think you're getting confused over the requirement to offer at least a repair or replacement for a faulty good, but that doesn't apply here.

Put a hole in it and hide the others in your size...

Or just keep it, wear it and maybe leave the price tag on so people know it's expensive

Original Poster

mb02141 m ago

32754801-NyDfn.jpgthis is the £160 t-shirt. I'm genuinely so upset she spent so much on a t-shirt.

Original Poster

The same t-shirt online direct from the manufacturer is £82. I don't have the heart to tell her she was overcharged by £78 for a t-shirt and we can't get a refund 😧.

ChristopherJZ8 m ago

[Image] this is the £160 t-shirt. I'm genuinely so upset she spent so much …[Image] this is the £160 t-shirt. I'm genuinely so upset she spent so much on a t-shirt.

and I thought £16 T shirts were expensive.

Feel your pain though dude

ChristopherJZ11 m ago

wow.. word's can't explain

Return it for a refund because of the cut in the material in the armpit

dxx36 m ago

There are no laws which say that a retailer must offer you a particular …There are no laws which say that a retailer must offer you a particular number of options. I think you're getting confused over the requirement to offer at least a repair or replacement for a faulty good, but that doesn't apply here.

I’m not getting confused.

ChristopherJZ27 m ago

The same t-shirt online direct from the manufacturer is £82. I don't have …The same t-shirt online direct from the manufacturer is £82. I don't have the heart to tell her she was overcharged by £78 for a t-shirt and we can't get a refund 😧.

You need to tell her!

Mind you I've been trying to train the wife to spend wisely for the past 30 years and she's still not 'there' yet! She's never spend £160 mind on a T-shirt - probably wouldn't still be the wife if she had!

Take store credit.

Message their FB page and say you’ll sell said credit for 15% off the value.

Get some money back off it.

ChristopherJZ55 m ago

cool print that! your stuck with store credit really. If they can stick on gift card...you may be able to sell it with minimal loses

What shop was it from ?

That's some expensive £10 t-shirt. You can try selling or getting store credit and selling that.

Edit just educate her next time otherwise you may hurt her feelings.
Edited by: "MR1123" 15th Dec 2017

Pvfc12345678901 h, 21 m ago

I’m not getting confused.

No you aren't confused, you're just wrong. :-)

If it was purchased in-store there is no right to a refund under change of mind.
Edited by: "windym" 15th Dec 2017

OBED and it's normally female :-)

fair enough for you to get the refund but if your girlfriend has to go and get the refund "or her to get the refund", as you put it, i hope you haven't upset her as coming across as ungrateful! unless of course, she used your credit card to pay for your present

Take the store credit and offer it to someone at the till for 80% of face value as they are about to make their purchase.

You not entitled to a refund only store credit shops that offer 30day refunds or such like is above and beyond what the law requires and is a gesture of goodwill from the shop. The only way you could have a refund is if the item is damaged or you bought it online.

Opening pictures in the HUKD app is WHACK. Close close close

Can you return the gf for a refund? She sounds like a bad deal...

Original Poster

Problem solved, kind of. Went back to the store and got an exchange. I now own a Hugo Boss dressing gown, which I managed to haggle £25 off and a £70 t-shirt. Expensive lesson learnt!
Edited by: "ChristopherJZ" 15th Dec 2017

She forgot to pick up the Jeans Coat and Shoes that came with it.
Edited by: "daletharper" 15th Dec 2017

virgil476 h, 10 m ago

Could have been a lot worse .... £565 .... …Could have been a lot worse .... £565 .... https://www.harveynichols.com/brand/versace/236641-embroidered-cotton-t-shirt/p3025209/ .....[Image]

Bought two in case one gets ruined in the wash.

virgil477 h, 42 m ago

Could have been a lot worse .... £565 .... …Could have been a lot worse .... £565 .... https://www.harveynichols.com/brand/versace/236641-embroidered-cotton-t-shirt/p3025209/ .....[Image]

Same shirts they sell in Tunisia for £2.50 lol
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions