Groups

Shopkeeper branded “racist” and pro-Brexit for opening a store called Really British

His shop, which is intended to tap in to British nostalgia, is selling homeware gifts and items like brown sauce, London underground tea towels.

“A guy came in the other day and said, ‘what’s this, a charity shop?’. We said, ‘no, not at all’, and he said, ‘well it’s racist’, and stormed out.”

He added: “People have been coming in and just tut tutting and walking out again.”

itv.com/new…ts/

104 Comments

Now we know where BHS went wrong! X)

Do people still watch and listen to the news.

“People have been coming in and just tut tutting and walking out again.” Now that's what I call Really British!

This could apply to every souvenir shop in the UK, ha ha.

Who'd have thought all those sweet old people selling sticks of rock are really Klan members looking forward to the weekends burning of the crucifix.

So a bloke opens a shop selling tat in a crowded marketplace, he manufactures some 'controversy' which is apparently one bloke walking into his shop and saying 'that's racist', he goes to the local media and before you know it the Mail picks it up.

I wonder if anyone will fall for it. X)
    Edited by: "HotEnglishAndWelshDeals" 8th Dec 2016

patels corner shop, polski sklep and others of the sort will im guessing be all racist too then yeah. wat a flippin joke. if you wana buy then buy if not then get on with your life.

Original Poster

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

So a bloke opens a shop selling tat in a crowded marketplace, so he … So a bloke opens a shop selling tat in a crowded marketplace, so he manufactures some 'controversy' which is apparently one bloke walking into his shop and saying 'that's racist', he goes to the local media and before you know it the Mail picks it up.I wonder if anyone will fall for it. X)

Locals have taken to their resident association’s Facebook page — Muswell Hill and Friends – to criticise the shopkeeper, it's more than one bloke!

i can imagine people 'tut tut' ing at the fact its full of tat but its hardly racist

Maybe the shopkeeper is a well known **** & comments are aimed at him not the shop?

brilly

i can imagine people 'tut tut' ing at the fact its full of tat but its … i can imagine people 'tut tut' ing at the fact its full of tat but its hardly racist

I don't think the people 'tut tut' ing were British at all. Sounds more an Egyptian thing to me!

airfix

Locals have taken to their resident association’s Facebook page — Muswell … Locals have taken to their resident association’s Facebook page — Muswell Hill and Friends – to criticise the shopkeeper, it's more than one bloke!

Sadly, too many people will believe that Muswell Hillians are up in arms when they really aren't.

Exactly. Not many people are offended but it has made the papers so, you know, no such thing as bad publicity.

Given the long running saga of the front of one of his other shops ( Art Supplies on the roundabout), and the planning issue with his grand designs house in Oxford - I think it's likely that this is yet another if his publicity stunts. There's no such thing as bad publicity !

It would appear as though the vast majority of posters on that page see it for what it really is - cheap promotion that only the truly gullible would think wasn't manufactured.

But it's fine to have an "Indian Takeaway or a "Chinese Chippy" !!!!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-5MwsRQduo9M/TbkC0_528wI/AAAAAAAACg4/S5d8_ea00ng/s1600/race%2Bcard.jpg

http://a66.tinypic.com/2uj0far.jpg

Should have taken it a step further and called it "Really English" and really upset the children

Really British (tat made in China)

Predikuesi

No I in it or gullible for that matter ;).

It actually makes me sad that the owner, who clearly loves and lives in Muswell Hill, is making the public think that Muswell Hill is full of petty overly politically correct people, just to get publicity.

Apparently the people of Muswell Hill see this for what it is. Must come from living in that 'elite, metropolitan bubble'. X)

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Sadly, too many people will believe that Muswell Hillians are up in arms … Sadly, too many people will believe that Muswell Hillians are up in arms when they really aren't. Exactly. Not many people are offended but it has made the papers so, you know, no such thing as bad publicity.Given the long running saga of the front of one of his other shops ( Art Supplies on the roundabout), and the planning issue with his grand designs house in Oxford - I think it's likely that this is yet another if his publicity stunts. There's no such thing as bad publicity !It would appear as though the vast majority of posters on that page see it for what it really is - cheap promotion that only the truly gullible would think wasn't manufactured.

Thank you for the time you have taken doing this in-depth investigation of various sources, HEAWD. I am surprised, but delighted, that you have found time to take such a detailed interest in such a triviality on a shopping forum. To do so in a high-powered job in the middle of the working week is commendable. This, along with your thoughts elsewhere today on important issues such as the threads about a Mobile phone, a Benefit fraudster, a Christmas present ..... etc are valuable to all. I cannot speak on behalf of each and every other member, but I know many do so appreciate all the effort that you put in. Thank you, HEAWD, thank you.

lots of central London tourist tat shops have the same stuff, union flag on everything, red phone boxes etc.

they must all be racist too oO shut them all down X)

DarkEnergy2012

lots of central London tourist tat shops have the same stuff, union flag … lots of central London tourist tat shops have the same stuff, union flag on everything, red phone boxes etc.they must all be racist too oO shut them all down X)

But everybody who works in them is foreign!X)
    Edited by: "GAVINLEWISHUKD" 8th Dec 2016

Ahh British nostalgia, cheap xenophobia and fantasy heads of state. Bootiful.

Saturn

Thank you for the time you have taken doing this in-depth investigation … Thank you for the time you have taken doing this in-depth investigation of various sources, HEAWD. I am surprised, but delighted, that you have found time to take such a detailed interest in such a triviality on a shopping forum. To do so in a high-powered job in the middle of the working week is commendable. This, along with your thoughts elsewhere today on important issues such as the threads about a Mobile phone, a Benefit fraudster, a Christmas present ..... etc are valuable to all. I cannot speak on behalf of each and every other member, but I know many do so appreciate all the effort that you put in. Thank you, HEAWD, thank you.

No worries.

I wish good health to you and your's this holiday.

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

No worries. I wish good health to you and your's this holiday.

Is there a major holiday in early December?

themorgatron

Really British (tat made in China)

This is the irony of those who argue to bring back the exported manufacturing industries, they want things cheap but want them British made. You can't have it both ways.

Saturn

Oh Saturn X)

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

Oh Saturn X)

What?

Saturn

What?

Just you - you are a hoot. X)

Ah the backward regressive left

In Preston we have a polish shop, a Turkish barbers and a Hungarian food market, to name a few, so I don't know how this can be called racist even if they called it really English, Why not! All the others are doing it segregating themselves off with their own special shops, P.S some of the food in that Hungarian shop looks nice I might pop in one day!.
    Edited by: "Moonwolf1976" 8th Dec 2016

Original Poster

Moonwolf1976

In Preston we have a polish shop, a Turkish barbers and a Hungarian food … In Preston we have a polish shop, a Turkish barbers and a Hungarian food market, so I don't know how this can be called racist even if they called it really English, Why not! All the others are doing it segregating themselves off with their own special shops, P.S some of the food in that Hungarian shop looks nice I might pop in one day!.

Is the polish shop for shoes, cars or furniture?

Saturn

Sometimes, but Hanukkah's late this year so no.

Moonwolf1976

In Preston we have a polish shop, a Turkish barbers and a Hungarian food … In Preston we have a polish shop, a Turkish barbers and a Hungarian food market, to name a few, so I don't know how this can be called racist even if they called it really English, Why not! All the others are doing it segregating themselves off with their own special shops, P.S some of the food in that Hungarian shop looks nice I might pop in one day!.

Only if you assume they aren't letting you in because of your ethnicity.

Rubisco

Sometimes, but Hanukkah's late this year so no.

Milad un Nabi?

What about the local Chinese or Indian restaurant are these racist.

I dread to think how most of you would react if you lived in Leicester.

I live just off this road:

mirror.co.uk/new…465

I bet even just the thought of that sends shivers down 52% of spines!

Original Poster

Towelie

I dread to think how most of you would react if you lived in Leicester.I … I dread to think how most of you would react if you lived in Leicester.I live just off this road:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-most-diverse-high-street-7302465I bet even just the thought of that sends shivers down 52% of spines!

I went to Leicester last Sunday, it was like I was from a minority.

i reckon the Border Agency vans need to do a sweep down there X)

Towelie

I dread to think how most of you would react if you lived in Leicester.I … I dread to think how most of you would react if you lived in Leicester.I live just off this road:http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/britains-most-diverse-high-street-7302465I bet even just the thought of that sends shivers down 52% of spines!

HotEnglishAndWelshDeals

So a bloke opens a shop selling tat in a crowded marketplace, he … So a bloke opens a shop selling tat in a crowded marketplace, he manufactures some 'controversy' which is apparently one bloke walking into his shop and saying 'that's racist', he goes to the local media and before you know it the Mail picks it up.I wonder if anyone will fall for it. X)

Seems legit even The Times ran with it.

airfix

I went to Leicester last Sunday, it was like I was from a minority.

You fell for this story so that puts you in a minority too.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …98183
      2. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846286
      3. Are these two things distinctly different to you?30119
      4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764508

See more discussions