Shopping is improving.

Posted 21st Mar
Since the shops have implemented a maximum number of items per customer, the shelves seem to be a lot more full. How are things where you are? Any improvements?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
The hoarders have all bought secondary freezers!
markpj77721/03/2020 18:17

I wonder how much more space people have left in their freezers.

I've got three freezers. One in the garage, a fridge freezer and a cast off from my niece. Have had three for years though. I have a stockpile which will last me months but I have not bought anything out of the ordinary this week. I have always shopped in bulk when things are on offer or reduced to clear. A couple of years ago I broke my ankle and couldn't get out. It was a godsend as I've no family near. My sister always laughed at my stockpile and called me a doomsday hoarder. Who's laughing now? I'm giving loo roll and tins of tomatoes away to people who are short.
40156433-tgmEK.jpg
My nearest morrisons didn't have much of anything, they have even resorted to digging out old Christmas stock to put on the shelves!
markpj77721/03/2020 18:50

As predicted, but what happens when the power goes down.

I'm fine, I've been stockpiling

97 Comments
The shops near me were even worse today. All shelves and freezers empty by 10am
I finally managed to get some loo roll today, still not great though. No bread, no tinned stuff etc
I got bread and milk and saw pasta and flour.
Arto21/03/2020 18:13

The shops near me were even worse today. All shelves and freezers empty by …The shops near me were even worse today. All shelves and freezers empty by 10am

The hoarders have all bought secondary freezers!
Yesterday there was no improvement in my local sainsburys. Worse through the week. First toilet roll and rice and pasta. Then milk and bread and flour. Then meats and tins. Then oil and jars and frozen. I'll be avoiding for a week now aside for milk and bread. Time will tell.

Always see loads of crumpets though ha
Edited by: "Whoohoo" 21st Mar
Near me was a lot better today. Still not much bread but most other fresh items were in. Wine aisle was cleared out though
Asda and Tesco have already employed people in the whole country. In my little Asda they couldn’t even read the labels and put hand wash in a shelf down below until I told them. They didn’t even know the Max so picked up 4 for us
Whoohoo21/03/2020 18:19

Yesterday there was no improvement in my local sainsburys. Worse through …Yesterday there was no improvement in my local sainsburys. Worse through the week. First toilet roll and rice and pasta. Then milk and bread and flour. Then meats and tins. Then oil and jars and frozen. I'll be avoiding for a week now aside for milk and bread. Time will tell.Always see loads of crumpets though ha

In the week the milk all went. I picked up milk and flour yesterday. There was more in the shop today. The fresh meat is still all gone though.
Whoohoo21/03/2020 18:19

Yesterday there was no improvement in my local sainsburys. Worse through …Yesterday there was no improvement in my local sainsburys. Worse through the week. First toilet roll and rice and pasta. Then milk and bread and flour. Then meats and tins. Then oil and jars and frozen. I'll be avoiding for a week now aside for milk and bread. Time will tell.Always see loads of crumpets though ha

Biscuits as well, went to get some from asda today, all cleared out except for loads of Ginger nuts! Least that gave me a little chuckle, and no, I didn't buy any either!
I've not been out today trying to keep it to a minimum, but went out yesterday our local Lidl had lots of pasta, but no bread and all the meat freezers were picked clean. Just hope these morons that are doing it realise that if there's a power cut they will lose the lot .
MondayMonday21/03/2020 18:23

Near me was a lot better today. Still not much bread but most other fresh …Near me was a lot better today. Still not much bread but most other fresh items were in. Wine aisle was cleared out though

I'm surprised all the alcohol is going. I wonder if it's gonna be sold on
Edited by: "markpj777" 21st Mar
Good to hear. I signed up to hello fresh so we didn't have to panic about getting food. Have emailed them to see if they'll do a special offer for the elderly and front line staff, but I doubt it.

I've got three freezers. One in the garage, a fridge freezer and a cast off from my niece. Have had three for years though. I have a stockpile which will last me months but I have not bought anything out of the ordinary this week. I have always shopped in bulk when things are on offer or reduced to clear. A couple of years ago I broke my ankle and couldn't get out. It was a godsend as I've no family near. My sister always laughed at my stockpile and called me a doomsday hoarder. Who's laughing now? I'm giving loo roll and tins of tomatoes away to people who are short.

Sod all I’d imagine
psychobitchfromhell21/03/2020 18:30

I've got three freezers. One in the garage, a fridge freezer and a cast …I've got three freezers. One in the garage, a fridge freezer and a cast off from my niece. Have had three for years though. I have a stockpile which will last me months but I have not bought anything out of the ordinary this week. I have always shopped in bulk when things are on offer or reduced to clear. A couple of years ago I broke my ankle and couldn't get out. It was a godsend as I've no family near. My sister always laughed at my stockpile and called me a doomsday hoarder. Who's laughing now? I'm giving loo roll and tins of tomatoes away to people who are short.

Sounds like me when I was living on my own and working full time. I used to hoard and stockpile certain items... Now since married and wife's been with me she's like what the hell you doing with all that stuff... And now she's opened her eyes and realised... Wow you were right... Always good idea to stock up on essentials
40156433-tgmEK.jpg
My nearest morrisons didn't have much of anything, they have even resorted to digging out old Christmas stock to put on the shelves!
i think the restrictions should have come in earlier as people were not listening to guidance about panic buying and they are not listening now, irrespective of what the advice is. when tesco first introduced the restriction, i did think it was going to cause more chaos as people worry why the restriction is being introduced if their area is not affected and make them think the restriction is because there is a limited supply.

however, with hindsight, i think the supermarkets should have imposed restrictions instead of general advice of do not panic buy. that would stopped people stockpiling or reduced the level of stockpiling.

the supermarkets around my area are still bare and seem to be getting worse but they are restocking, which is a comfort, and i think the restrictions will take a while to have an impact on the shelves.
matt345421/03/2020 18:34

[Image] My nearest morrisons didn't have much of anything, they have even …[Image] My nearest morrisons didn't have much of anything, they have even resorted to digging out old Christmas stock to put on the shelves!

to me it's just good sense to buy in bulk when you can. Ok maybe not next Christmas stuff because they have to fill the shelves but if they're selling it cheap then I'm in.Luckily I have space as I have a garage and I boarded out the loft, but everyone has a bit of space to put some bits and pieces away if they try.
Edited by: "psychobitchfromhell" 21st Mar
1988dave21/03/2020 18:33

Sounds like me when I was living on my own and working full time. I used …Sounds like me when I was living on my own and working full time. I used to hoard and stockpile certain items... Now since married and wife's been with me she's like what the hell you doing with all that stuff... And now she's opened her eyes and realised... Wow you were right... Always good idea to stock up on essentials

Yup. Completely agree.
psychobitchfromhell21/03/2020 18:30

I've got three freezers. One in the garage, a fridge freezer and a cast …I've got three freezers. One in the garage, a fridge freezer and a cast off from my niece. Have had three for years though. I have a stockpile which will last me months but I have not bought anything out of the ordinary this week. I have always shopped in bulk when things are on offer or reduced to clear. A couple of years ago I broke my ankle and couldn't get out. It was a godsend as I've no family near. My sister always laughed at my stockpile and called me a doomsday hoarder. Who's laughing now? I'm giving loo roll and tins of tomatoes away to people who are short.

Size-ist!
chocci21/03/2020 18:45

They've sold out of freezers …They've sold out of freezers https://ao.com/l/chest_freezers/1/32-33/?mmref=cooling|chest_freezers|View All Chest Freezers|7_6_1

random_dude21/03/2020 18:50

Size-ist!

Yup. Can't fit a car in the garage for its a stupid new build so may as well use it for something else.

I'm fine, I've been stockpiling

Our Tescos Extra has been out of bread for 4 days. Yesterday their bakery section changed tactics & stopped marking doughnuts, baguettes, bread rolls etc & has now focused the bakery staff to produce just bread loaves.

So the instore baked shelves are now full from when the shop opens to when it closes for people that need bread. Excellent move by Tesco management. Problem solved.
random_dude21/03/2020 18:53

I'm fine, I've been stockpiling[Image]

Lol! I small generator would have been cheaper

It won't. You do realise that most electricity & gas is used by industry? The more they shut down the less need.

It is actually the reverse of what you are thinking. Hence the cheapest oil prices in decades.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 21st Mar
random_dude21/03/2020 18:53

I'm fine, I've been stockpiling[Image]

lol, you got the right idea there. stockpile things even before other people have thought about it, then you can sit back and relax when the herd comes round to that item
markpj77721/03/2020 18:55

Lol! I small generator would have been cheaper

talking about a small generator, do you know where i can get one? cheaply??
mutley121/03/2020 18:34

i think the restrictions should have come in earlier as people were not …i think the restrictions should have come in earlier as people were not listening to guidance about panic buying and they are not listening now, irrespective of what the advice is. when tesco first introduced the restriction, i did think it was going to cause more chaos as people worry why the restriction is being introduced if their area is not affected and make them think the restriction is because there is a limited supply.however, with hindsight, i think the supermarkets should have imposed restrictions instead of general advice of do not panic buy. that would stopped people stockpiling or reduced the level of stockpiling.the supermarkets around my area are still bare and seem to be getting worse but they are restocking, which is a comfort, and i think the restrictions will take a while to have an impact on the shelves.

As with everything they realise to late, and later they will realise lockdown sooner would save xxx trillions and it's not quite a lockdown yet. Just a few shops closed.
There’s no point in an item limit if nobody enforces it. People are just grabbing everything and staff are too scared to say anything. My husband saw a man walk out of our local Tesco yesterday with two over stuffed trolleys. Nothing to indicate he was shopping for those confined indoors. Our local schemes have sweatshirts to indicate who there are. The trolleys were simply emptied into his car boot. No bags so unless he was going to sort it out later, it looked like it was all for him. This took place during the early shopping period which was supposed to have been reserved for the elderly. One old lady gave him the benefit of her opinion and he replied “F*** off Granny”.

Plenty, all freezers on Gumtree and Shpock are sold and pc world is sold out. It’s really annoying me though because people just keep stock piling when they already have cupboards full and leave people like me with nothing. I only have about 2 meals left in my flat and I can’t get anything else in as there is nothing left
flex21/03/2020 19:03

There’s no point in an item limit if nobody enforces it. People are just g …There’s no point in an item limit if nobody enforces it. People are just grabbing everything and staff are too scared to say anything. My husband saw a man walk out of our local Tesco yesterday with two over stuffed trolleys. Nothing to indicate he was shopping for those confined indoors. Our local schemes have sweatshirts to indicate who there are. The trolleys were simply emptied into his car boot. No bags so unless he was going to sort it out later, it looked like it was all for him. This took place during the early shopping period which was supposed to have been reserved for the elderly. One old lady gave him the benefit of her opinion and he replied “F*** off Granny”.

That's terrible.
Slight improvement today I felt. Imagine it'll be back to normal by tuesday based on what happened in Spain.
Slightly better today.
MR112321/03/2020 19:01

As with everything they realise to late, and later they will realise …As with everything they realise to late, and later they will realise lockdown sooner would save xxx trillions and it's not quite a lockdown yet. Just a few shops closed.

the problem is that whenever there is guidance and advice, no one is paying any attention and those that do end up worse off. no one was ever going to listen to 'don't buy too much we have enough food for everyone' when they don't see any evidence to support that statement. where is the food for everyone when the shelves stay empty day after day? people would have only listened if the shelves were restocked very quickly so people could see that there is nothing to worry about and that there are lots of supply, but this was not the case and shelves were left empty for the whole day.

the problem with complete lockdown is the huge financial impact. the government is already having to take on huge government borrowing to close down the entertainment and leisure industry by promising to pay 80% of employees pay so they won't be able to do this if the whole country is in lock down.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants