Shops open on christmas day?

Found 24th Dec 2011
Our local shop is advertising the fact its open on Christmas day 10am-2pm as it has done for the last couple of years.

Is this a common thing now with corner shops or still in the minority?
Community Updates
Misc
22 Comments
It is for your local shop.
might be ran by a muslim? (non christian)
The Martin McColls newsagents in our village is open tomorrow and they're a nationwide chain so it isn't just local shop owners.
Im not being racist in any shape or form but fair play to them, white english person would not open thier shop on xmas day becaues thier to lazy.
Edited by: "timtom13" 24th Dec 2011
Mcdonalds is open
Spars will be open
the old people robbing so and so's
timtom13

Im not being racist in any shape or form but fair play to them, none … Im not being racist in any shape or form but fair play to them, none white english person would open thier shop on xmas day becaues thier to lazy.

Its not about being lazy, its about the fact muslims don't celebrate xmas.
My local is open until 3 or 4. They are from sri lanka so they celebrate it they just want the extra dough I suppose.
The take away by us is open from 3pm tomorrow - no doubt it will be rammed, was tonight when we got our pizza
i suppose some petrol garages will be open too and as some have tesco`s,waitrose inside then they will be as well!
timtom13

Im not being racist in any shape or form but fair play to them, none … Im not being racist in any shape or form but fair play to them, none white english person would open thier shop on xmas day becaues thier to lazy.

Surely not even on here could praising an ethnic group for having a positive work ethic be misconstrued as racism?

Plus you made a hell of a lot of spelling mistakes, but not going to mention them due to it being Christmas

Wait...
Yes he is non christian afaik, and fair play to them if they want to open, but to me it just doesnt seem right, not the fact that they are open, its more the fact that people cant survive 1 day without having to go to the shop, are people really that disorganized that they can't manage?
harlzter

Yes he is non christian afaik, and fair play to them if they want to … Yes he is non christian afaik, and fair play to them if they want to open, but to me it just doesnt seem right, not the fact that they are open, its more the fact that people cant survive 1 day without having to go to the shop, are people really that disorganized that they can't manage?

For me its not a csse of not being organised. If I knew the shop was closed I would have got my fags today. As I know is open and know I will be walking past it tomorrow anyway it makes no difference for me to go there tomorrow.

I see your point though, it should be the one day when most people shouldn't have to go to work, except of course the emergency services.
harlzter

Yes he is non christian afaik, and fair play to them if they want to … Yes he is non christian afaik, and fair play to them if they want to open, but to me it just doesnt seem right, not the fact that they are open, its more the fact that people cant survive 1 day without having to go to the shop, are people really that disorganized that they can't manage?

timtom13

Im not being racist in any shape or form but fair play to them, white … Im not being racist in any shape or form but fair play to them, white english person would not open thier shop on xmas day becaues thier to lazy.

why shouldn't they go to work if its just another day to them?

what about a white welsh person?
A few heathens will open up shop. Very little else will be open.
timtom13

Im not being racist in any shape or form but fair play to them, white … Im not being racist in any shape or form but fair play to them, white english person would not open thier shop on xmas day becaues thier to lazy.

I take it English is not your first language? There are at least 7 spelling and grammar mistakes in that sentence.

As a 'white English person' I would want a hell of a lot of money for working on a public holiday. Especially on Christmas which is a traditional time to be with your family. The reality is that those who are willing to work for the lowest wages on public holidays and especially Christmas don't tend to be white. You are mistaken if you think it is because white people are lazy.

Edited by: "richto" 24th Dec 2011
colinsunderland

why shouldn't they go to work if its just another day to them?what about … why shouldn't they go to work if its just another day to them?what about a white welsh person?

I should have been more clear, I meant its a day when most people who celebrate christmas shouldn't have to work. The guys who own our local shop do celebrate it, they just open until about 3PM.

Of course we still need the police, paramedics and firemen to be operational.
jonny619447

I should have been more clear, I meant its a day when most people who … I should have been more clear, I meant its a day when most people who celebrate christmas shouldn't have to work. The guys who own our local shop do celebrate it, they just open until about 3PM.Of course we still need the police, paramedics and firemen to be operational.

Well if they own it and they celebrate xmas then I suppose its their choice and if they think they will make a lot of money by opening then fair play to them.
I don't agree with staff being forced to work Christmas day if they celebrate Christmas though, unless of course its a job where it would be expected and therefore you knew thta when you took the job (chefs, waitresses, police etc)
My local newsagent is open for 4hrs and he is a whilte welsh person. He's opening for those who forget batteries and need ciggies for all the stress that is going on around them. If I was with my family, I'd be puffing like a chimney to stop me murdering someone! X)
richto

I take it English is not your first language? There are at least 7 … I take it English is not your first language? There are at least 7 spelling and grammar mistakes in that sentence.As a 'white English person' I would want a hell of a lot of money for working on a public holiday. Especially on Christmas which is a traditional time to be with your family. The reality is that those who are willing to work for the lowest wages on public holidays and especially Christmas don't tend to be white. You are mistaken if you think it is because white people are lazy.

o
oMG
kylewalker

might be ran by a muslim? (non christian)

Why not just write a NON CHRISTIAN instead of singling out Muslims? You fail in your plan to incite!!!

Some people have no choice, my neighbour who's a health care proffesional and a practicing Christian is working tomorrow; it's sad but necessary.

My local shop opens for a few hours around lunchtime every Christmas. They are not muslim, in fact I have no idea if they are Christian or whether they follow any religion.

I thought of it more as a nice thing for a local shop to do in case anyone has forgot anything. It's not as if they jack their prices up or get any extra benefit besides providing a service to the community by opening their doors on a day that all other places traditionally shut up shop. Everyone forgets to buy something once in a while so even planning ahead does not always work.
Edited by: "InfiniteWisdom" 25th Dec 2011
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants