Short changed

Found 13th May
I may have mug written all over my face but I have been short changed a few times in the shops. I have reluctantly let it pass as I am thinking I have no proof of what money I gave the cashier and the difference is small.

However on holiday in Spain when I got short changed, I was going to stand my ground and ask for my money back as I wanted to make a point that it was not right to be taken advantage of because I am a foreigner who could not speak the language.

The cashier denied that I gave him the money that I claim I did and I had to ask to speak to the manager. The manager states that she only has the cashier word against mine and there is no proof. After about 20 minutes of waiting, the manager finally refunded me the short changed amount.

Just thinking about this, is there any way that such proof can be produced? Do consumers have any right when it comes to being short changed?
Community Updates
Ask
25 Comments
Royal Mint says:

Legal Tender Guidelines

Legal tender has a very narrow and technical meaning in the settlement of debts. It means that a debtor cannot successfully be sued for non-payment if he pays into court in legal tender. It does not mean that any ordinary transaction has to take place in legal tender or only within the amount denominated by the legislation. Both parties are free to agree to accept any form of payment whether legal tender or otherwise according to their wishes. In order to comply with the very strict rules governing an actual legal tender it is necessary, for example, actually to offer the exact amount due because no change can be demanded.

The things we learn...
Amount in the till should match with the tally roll. If it doesn't then someone has been given the wrong change
As above, the Manager could have checked the amount in the till with the tally roll, which can be done at anytime of the day not necessarily just at close of business
Most retailers/shops have signs up mentioning “check change before leaving”

Could be for eg a 20p in the £1 tray & i would have sorted it there and then if customer points it out to me and its by a small about.

Ive short changed a customer by £5 before - not intentionally. Was pointed out straight away by customer. I wasnt 100%. I apologised to the customer and advised manager will check cctv see if they can see what tender customer gave me. If not my till will need to be checked. Manager came - took my till in the back. I went onto a different till while mine was counted. It came back £5 up. I apologised. customer was fine about it.

If my till would have been that £5 up at end of my shift i would have been questioned as to why.

I have had customers saying ive short changed them when i know i havnt. soon as cctv is mentioned and till be counted they magically find it.

Some small independant retailers/shops may say wait until end of day when cashing up, however how would you know they are not lying?
Video yourself handing money over, seems far fetched but at least you'll be covered.
I have read comments before about the till being counted up when cashier changes but I wasn't sure if this could be done mid way if there was a complaint. From your replies, it sounds like it can be done. That is good to know
Snakeyes64611 m ago

Video yourself handing money over, seems far fetched but at least you'll …Video yourself handing money over, seems far fetched but at least you'll be covered.

You're joking, right?
I worked in a supermarket. When a customer queries their change we offer to check the till there and then or they can ring back the following day to see if the till is over by £?.
I always felt I was getting short changed here and there so I now check all my change, I would say around 1 in 10 is wrong, I now know exactly what Note Im giving and check my change with my Hand held open out over the counter, if its wrong I stand there with my hand still open and ask them to check it before leaving the Counter.

I reckon its common practice especially in Pubs, Bars and Hot Drinks, Food Counters, your always going to get one Bad Apple, I get a feel for it sometimes now when its going to happen, especially when the Server hands you your change then quickly walks off in a different direction and starts serving someone else.
Caroline_19931 h, 38 m ago

Most retailers/shops have signs up mentioning “check change before l …Most retailers/shops have signs up mentioning “check change before leaving”Could be for eg a 20p in the £1 tray & i would have sorted it there and then if customer points it out to me and its by a small about. Ive short changed a customer by £5 before - not intentionally. Was pointed out straight away by customer. I wasnt 100%. I apologised to the customer and advised manager will check cctv see if they can see what tender customer gave me. If not my till will need to be checked. Manager came - took my till in the back. I went onto a different till while mine was counted. It came back £5 up. I apologised. customer was fine about it. If my till would have been that £5 up at end of my shift i would have been questioned as to why. I have had customers saying ive short changed them when i know i havnt. soon as cctv is mentioned and till be counted they magically find it. Some small independant retailers/shops may say wait until end of day when cashing up, however how would you know they are not lying?

A cashier short changed me by £5 once. She was adamant I was mistaken. I was not. She even seemed a bit arsey about it. A senior staff came and explained they would have to go and cash up the money in the till to check. I said yes. It came back £5 over. I got my £5.
The cashier did not apologise. Nor did it appear she felt she was even remotely to blame. I felt bad for holding up the other people in the queue. #SlightlyScarred

My concern about this method of checking the amount of money in the till, is it depends on the amount in there being correct beforehand. For example, if a cashier short changes a customer by £5 and pockets it, then does the same to a second customer but puts it in the till replacing the first one, what is there to prove it
I always check my change and give as close to the amount being purchased as possible, it avoids this sort of situation. Paying with a debit/credit card also helps avoid it as you check the amount before you put your pin in.
When I hand over say a £20 note, I make a point of saying "that's a twenty".
I would recommend memorising the first or last 4 digits printed on the note.
If you get conned, you can tell them to empty the register and pick out your own note with the matching digits .
Had this happened to me in supermarket....cashier busy talking to her mate on other till, till taken away and counted up and £10 up got money back....for a while afterwards every time i gave them £20 note i would remember last four digits just n case
Write your initials in Biro on all your notes.
RichSturman15 m ago

Write your initials in Biro on all your notes.

And what about if you pay with coins ?

Just use a contactless card to pay. No change = no problem
zirk4 h, 57 m ago

I always felt I was getting short changed here and there so I now check …I always felt I was getting short changed here and there so I now check all my change, I would say around 1 in 10 is wrong, I now know exactly what Note Im giving and check my change with my Hand held open out over the counter, if its wrong I stand there with my hand still open and ask them to check it before leaving the Counter.I reckon its common practice especially in Pubs, Bars and Hot Drinks, Food Counters, your always going to get one Bad Apple, I get a feel for it sometimes now when its going to happen, especially when the Server hands you your change then quickly walks off in a different direction and starts serving someone else.

this is why i think i must look stupid to people as i rarely use cash to pay in the shops because i don't like having cash on me so the fact that i rarely use cash to pay and yet i get short changed a few times, it must be more than 1 in 10 for me being short changed. i believe that some are genuine errors, but others are theft as the cashier just pockets some short change per person and it all adds up.

they would choose someone who they think would not notice and in situations like a pub, most people are tipsy and merry, they would not notice. my husband never looks at the change he is given, and just put them in his pocket. i actually look at the change but sometimes it is difficult with putting the shopping away at the same time.
Derek_Horatio_Shatwell3 h, 11 m ago

I would recommend memorising the first or last 4 digits printed on the …I would recommend memorising the first or last 4 digits printed on the note.If you get conned, you can tell them to empty the register and pick out your own note with the matching digits .

i would never be able to remember the 4 digits and often the bill requires several notes, so there is no chance i could remember them all. i wish i had that sort of memory, i would be laughing.
check change before leaving, obviously.
Just practice basic arithmetic and count your change as it is placed back in your hand.
chocci3 h, 4 m ago

Just practice basic arithmetic and count your change as it is placed back …Just practice basic arithmetic and count your change as it is placed back in your hand.

I had a Saturday job on the camera counter at Boots years ago, and I am sure that we had to count out the change as we gave it out.

On a side note, I remember that we used to fit 13 amp plugs to appliances as they used not to be sold with fitted plugs. No training; just did it!
chocci5 h, 44 m ago

Just practice basic arithmetic and count your change as it is placed back …Just practice basic arithmetic and count your change as it is placed back in your hand.

the question here is not about counting the change but about where does the consumer stand when the cashier refuse to accept that the change is incorrect because you have not given him the money you claim you have. the answer is that the tills can be counted but this would only work if it was a genuine mistake and not an intentional one as then the cashier would not have put the missing money in the till in the first instance for it to be counted up.
mutley124 m ago

the question here is not about counting the change but about where does …the question here is not about counting the change but about where does the consumer stand when the cashier refuse to accept that the change is incorrect because you have not given him the money you claim you have. the answer is that the tills can be counted but this would only work if it was a genuine mistake and not an intentional one as then the cashier would not have put the missing money in the till in the first instance for it to be counted up.

The chances of that happening must be a million to one. I've never been short changed and had that happen. Never been short changed and not noticed immediately either.

I think you worry too much
Edited by: "chocci" 14th May
chocci18 m ago

The chances of that happening must be a million to one. I've never been …The chances of that happening must be a million to one. I've never been short changed and had that happen. Never been short changed and not noticed immediately either.I think you worry too much

there are already a few answers in the thread where there is a dispute and the till has to be counted. so i think the probability of a dispute arising from short change is higher than you think. a lot of people don't count their change either so if everyone counted their change, this issue would be bigger.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants