Short term memory test

Posted 10th Mar
From a list of 6 random words, I can only ever remember 3. Is that bad?

How many can you remember?

Try to memorise the following 6 random words in a minute. Take 2 minutes break and think of something else. Then write down as many of the 6 words as you can from memory.

chap
cancerous
rhubarb

unlike
interlock
irresistible
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
I was going to post a reply earlier, but forgot
Pasta
Beans
Bog
Roll
Rice
Isolate
3 out of 6 is terrible but I am not in the least surprised

You need to seek medical advice ASAP
Edited by: "chocci" 11th Mar
19 Comments
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell10/03/2020 22:54

i know the feeling.

i am trying to do these tests at the moment and i find that after 2 minutes i often forget that i am doing the test and so take a longer break than intended, which doesn't help with recall!
Pasta
Beans
Bog
Roll
Rice
Isolate
I'm glad you posted this thread.
I was going to reply earlier, but don't like being the first to reply to threads.

To answer your question: I like rhubarb crumble with custard.
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell10/03/2020 23:18

I'm glad you posted this thread.I was going to reply earlier, but don't …I'm glad you posted this thread.I was going to reply earlier, but don't like being the first to reply to threads.To answer your question: I like rhubarb crumble with custard.

I think you are more lost than I am. In a way, it makes me feel comforted
I had to attend a health and safety thing run by a psychologist. He reckoned your brain is like a conveyor belt on short term memory and he's right. Most people can't remember more than 7 things short term, which is why the generation game with cuddly toy etc. on conveyor belt was an absolute winner for BBC. Basically, he told me that the first thing you see will be forgotten by the seventh thing you see as it rolls off the conveyor belt in your brain and gets replaced. So don't worry! Just keep thinking about toilet rolls...
What was the question again ???
Dr. Kar. ‘Brain Training’ is so tedious trying to remember a list of words !!
3 out of 6 is terrible but I am not in the least surprised

You need to seek medical advice ASAP
Edited by: "chocci" 11th Mar
5 for me I missed irresistible.
There are so many cancerous posts on HUKD that interlock. They really chap my rhubarb and it’s irresistible in wanting to unlike them.
The way I remembered them all is by picturing a CANCEROUS CHAP holding IRRESISTIBLE RHUBARB, his hands are INTERLOCKed. As if someones telling him to change but he can't UNLIKE.
chocci11/03/2020 04:06

3 out of 6 is terrible but I am not in the least surprisedYou need to seek …3 out of 6 is terrible but I am not in the least surprisedYou need to seek medical advice ASAP

I'd recommend private medical care if he can afford it.
chocci11/03/2020 04:06

3 out of 6 is terrible but I am not in the least surprisedYou need to seek …3 out of 6 is terrible but I am not in the least surprisedYou need to seek medical advice ASAP

Would probably be worth self isolating from all social and interactive media. Spending some introspective time reading and meditating.
ChuckTheDuck11/03/2020 00:49

Dr. Kar. ‘Brain Training’ is so tedious trying to remember a list of wor …Dr. Kar. ‘Brain Training’ is so tedious trying to remember a list of words !!

i think this is the issue. the words are random and they have no relevance so your brain doesn't take any interest and will soon forget it. if i try to recall the words straightaway without the 2 minutes break, i can get up to 5 words. i find the more interesting words are easier to remember as your brain noticed them more.
philajones10/03/2020 23:59

I had to attend a health and safety thing run by a psychologist. He …I had to attend a health and safety thing run by a psychologist. He reckoned your brain is like a conveyor belt on short term memory and he's right. Most people can't remember more than 7 things short term, which is why the generation game with cuddly toy etc. on conveyor belt was an absolute winner for BBC. Basically, he told me that the first thing you see will be forgotten by the seventh thing you see as it rolls off the conveyor belt in your brain and gets replaced. So don't worry! Just keep thinking about toilet rolls...

this is good to hear. as someone who can't remember left from right and i have had a lifetime to learn that, being able to recall 3 out of 6 probably is doing quite well for me! sounds like not be able to remember all 6 random words is not a huge worry
Oneday7711/03/2020 11:17

Would probably be worth self isolating from all social and interactive …Would probably be worth self isolating from all social and interactive media. Spending some introspective time reading and meditating.

How come you always have sensible suggestions?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants