Shortage of plaster

Posted 5th Jun
Hi,

Does anyone know what's going on with plaster? I've ripped out a lot of wallpaper in preparation for redecoration. I got a plasterer round to give me a quote and he said there is no plaster at the moment! I had a look online, I can't find anything. I've also got a couple of other friends in the same boat...

Why is there a shortage of plaster and when will it end?!

Cheers
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

10 Comments
Something to do with that pandemic that was going around.
british-gypsum.com/abo…rus
Edited by: "fearona" 5th Jun
Yep there’s a shortage. People are selling them £20 a bag on Facebook but the shortage isn’t anything new. It’s been since March when all shops were closed

Give it another few weeks hopefully everything will pickup. I’m suprised he didn’t tell you over phone lol
Try all the building suppliers by phone they’re getting supplies in a but going out just as quick so be quick
is this like the next crisis to the toilet roll crisis? who has been hoarding all the plaster??
mutley105/06/2020 13:27

is this like the next crisis to the toilet roll crisis? who has been …is this like the next crisis to the toilet roll crisis? who has been hoarding all the plaster??

Well, at least if you have to overpay for the plaster, you might get lucky and find a plasterer with no work due to no plaster willing to do it a bit cheaper than normal! Maybe you could even part pay in bags of plaster
mutley105/06/2020 13:27

is this like the next crisis to the toilet roll crisis? who has been …is this like the next crisis to the toilet roll crisis? who has been hoarding all the plaster??

There has been a shortage of plaster for a long time, nothing new.
Plaster doesn’t have an indefinite shelf life. So if places have been closed, always a chance some stock has gone off. Then as it’s not an essential item, manufacture and supply lines could be limited.
I was told it'll start coming back in stock from this week. But yh, we had to use powdered filler in places of plaster in some places. Looks crap but didn't have any other options.
Ive been rescaping my garden over the lockdown and struggled to get sharp sand and concrete for a while, starting to come in stock slowly now though, its just due to no manufacturing i think
I managed 2 bags. I've been stalking deliveries and spent time sat watching lorries upload. I seen 40+ bags go when 20 of us turned up at B&Q 8am opening this week. I managed 2 bags simply buy holding on to them. I couldn't move for trollies or people. I need another 7 bags to complete next job though. Beads and SBR are in short supply. It's getting worse. Wood also sold out. Just a backlog and at full capacity it's going to be weeks if not months to get supplies back
Edited by: "wayners" 6th Jun
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants