Groups

Shortening a necklace

I want to get a necklace chain shortened. How much should I expect to pay for this? (Ideally I would like to retain the ability to lengthen it again should I wish if anyone got any ideas.)

Should I just pop into the local independent jewellers or are there better places to get this done like HM Samuel for example?

13 Comments

Do it yourself?

Plenty of you tube videos and tutorials available on line.

Depends on the chain, if its a thin trace chain you won't be able to retain it - they'll chop the jump ring off, shorten it however much you want and re-attach the jump ring on the end. It's all machine made and impossible to solder into them again. If its something a bit more chunky you should be able to keep the links removed and add them again at a later date.

Go for the independent. They have a reputation to maintain so will do better work, and you're supporting a local business.

Original Poster

Dumbstruck

Do it yourself?Plenty of you tube videos and tutorials available on line.

I have looked into this and as the chain is thin, I need to buy special tools in order to do it properly. It is a necklace to hold a diamond pendant so I don't want to chance doing a bad job and it breaks so losing the diamond pendant, which would be a huge disaster!

Might be easier just to buy a shorter chain

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell

Might be easier just to buy a shorter chain

it is a very expensive chain as it is platinum so it would be silly to discard it. it will be much cheaper to shorten it.

mutley1

it is a very expensive chain as it is platinum so it would be silly to … it is a very expensive chain as it is platinum so it would be silly to discard it. it will be much cheaper to shorten it.

But it would be a shame to damage it too. Was just thinking if you got another you would be keeping your options open. You could go for silver or white gold if you wanted the look but not the price tag

Original Poster

psychobitchfromhell

But it would be a shame to damage it too. Was just thinking if you got … But it would be a shame to damage it too. Was just thinking if you got another you would be keeping your options open. You could go for silver or white gold if you wanted the look but not the price tag

i know what you mean as shortening the chain actually reduces its value and may damage it, not to mention the risk of it breaking and me losing the pendant. i have been mulling over this for a while and been umming and ahhing about whether i should shorten it.

you may be right about buying another chain so i can use either. i will ask a jeweller and see what they say as it is unlikely i will use the longer chain but there may be occasions when i may want to. it is not the cost that puts me off buying a new chain, but the fact that i end up with a long chain that i may not use and so just sits in my drawer doing nothing.

Another idea might be to put another ring into the chain about 3 inches or however shorter you want it? That way you can wear it short and leave the 3 inches trailing on your neck, or wear it long and have the small ring sitting mid-neck/collar bone (make sure you can get the pendant over the loop!)
    Edited by: "promithius" 6th Apr

mutley1

i know what you mean as shortening the chain actually reduces its value … i know what you mean as shortening the chain actually reduces its value and may damage it, not to mention the risk of it breaking and me losing the pendant. i have been mulling over this for a while and been umming and ahhing about whether i should shorten it.you may be right about buying another chain so i can use either. i will ask a jeweller and see what they say as it is unlikely i will use the longer chain but there may be occasions when i may want to. it is not the cost that puts me off buying a new chain, but the fact that i end up with a long chain that i may not use and so just sits in my drawer doing nothing.

The main thing is you get the use out of the necklace. No use it sitting in a drawer and not being worn because the chain is too long. See what the jeweller says

Original Poster

promithius

Another idea might be to put another ring into the chain about 3 inches … Another idea might be to put another ring into the chain about 3 inches or however shorter you want it? That way you can wear it short and leave the 3 inches trailing on your neck, or wear it long and have the small ring sitting mid-neck/collar bone (make sure you can get the pendant over the loop!)

i like this idea. i have seen some necklace where there is a loop at the back of the neck, actually designed like that. i may look into how this will look.

Original Poster

promithius

Another idea might be to put another ring into the chain about 3 inches … Another idea might be to put another ring into the chain about 3 inches or however shorter you want it? That way you can wear it short and leave the 3 inches trailing on your neck, or wear it long and have the small ring sitting mid-neck/collar bone (make sure you can get the pendant over the loop!)

blooming heck, your idea has worked! I have just tested it. my chain was 20 inch and i wanted it to be shortened to 16 inch so now it looks like this with 4 inch at the back and it looks really nice. thank you so much for your suggestion i just hope it doesn't break.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/63/46/6a/63466a5411f09d7cfd3910dabcab4614.jpg

Should be fine

As I said, take it to an independent, they'll do you a good job. I'd expect £40-£50 for a platinum jump ring and a quick laser solder.

All the high street ones will only send it off to a bulk workshop and something might get lost in translation so I wouldn't risk it and end up with a knackered chain.

alexosbornejewellery.co.uk/ I've worked with for years, might be worth dropping him an email

promithius

Should be fine :)As I said, take it to an independent, they'll do you a … Should be fine :)As I said, take it to an independent, they'll do you a good job. I'd expect £40-£50 for a platinum jump ring and a quick laser solder. http://www.alexosbornejewellery.co.uk/ I've worked with for years, might be worth dropping him an email

Just looked up the link you sent - see it is in Towcester - I went to school there many years ago!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Looking for help/advice finding a weeks holiday in September please??56
      2. GAP Insurance Recommendations11
      3. Any discount for paultons park?22
      4. New Layout is Confusing: How to I navigate to specific items!?56

See more discussions