Shortly after new graphics card installed, monitor says "no video input"? Please help

Found 3rd Feb 2012
Installed new GPU, everything was dandy. Movies fine etc. Then not long after, screen went black. Tried taking out cmos battery and plugging back into onboard vga, but still nothing? Any ideas on solution? And also, why this has been caused?
Community Updates
31 Comments
try without new GPU back to where it was. if it works then you need to disable ur default GPU after installation
On my motherboard (Gigabyte) you have to take the card out and then go into the bios and there's a setting for disabling the onboard graphics if a card is installed.
If it went black whilst turned on it will probably either be a connection issue, over-heating issue (make sure the GPU fan is on) or your motherboard has a fault. In that order imo.
Before going into detail is the system making any ticking sounds from the PSU ? Or the system unusually having more than one beep IF starting - Consult Beep Code for BIOS manufacturer. Although a lot of motherboards now have LED counter with fault codes. If you are (un)lucky receive a code or noise it might help provide an indication to your problem.

The symptoms suggested the problem could be a "brown out", where there is insufficient voltage or wattage for the components when under load. Check your Power Supply that it provides sufficient a 12v rail to run the GPU, and other parts of the computer under full load. Remember a generic PSU wattage and voltage rating could be much lower than stated, especially compared to a quality branded product that normally for short periods can run at 110 to 120 percent higher than rated. Another similar problem is that the GPU may require a six pin (or two) connector to run as it draws higher than the exceeded motherboard power allowance usually 75 to 100 watts depending on the motherboard bus (AGP Pro, PCI, PCI-E etc).

Now concerning your problem removal of the CMOS battery doesn't always clear the bios of the motherboard. Consult the motherboard instruction book or the manufacturers website on changing the pin settings, if available (you might need to power up, then power down) to phyiscally clear the bios. Otherwise they provide a button, or means to clear the settings.

Try running the system without the card but make sure the VGA onboard graphics is enabled in the BIOS. Again goto the website for more detail. If succesful and have the minimum requirements for the GPU, CPU etc then re-install the card.
Edited by: "nemesiz" 3rd Feb 2012
Yeah i agree with Nemesiz, it sounds like power supply issue. I have had this happen in the past when i have tried installing a GFX card in a machine with the PSU that wasnt powerful enough.

I would remove the GFX card and boot the machine to see if you get any output. If you do then hopefully you havent blown anything. Make the changes in the bio and then try disconnecting all the optical drives or anything that is not going to be used such as second HDD etc for the time being. Then try reinstalling the GFX card and try running a few things. If this runs successfully it sounds like a power issue, upradge the PSU then plug everything else back in.
Original Poster
I cant even get into BIOS though, thats the thing. My computer never used to make beeps I don't think and still doesn't, but fan sounds/internal sounds are EXACT as when working. It just seems that no video signal is being sent, but it could very well be the PSU. I had a CWT 305W psu, is there any specific model I need to look for, or do all PSU's fit the same? How about the cables? As I'd like to get one cheap, and asap, as I have some import work to finish on the PC.

Yes I will have to check the manufacturers website then report back, as I'm not even able to enter bios and the graphics card has been taken out for some time. I
Channel Well (CWT) produce PSU for major manufacturer's Corsair, Antec, Coolermaster but their internal components were plagued with problems due to a specific capacitors. CWT PSU's are rated exactly as stated, so the 305w (not sure it's a 350 watt?) don't normally have extra capacity.

As the fans etc are working correctly it does sound like you have insufficient power to run the system with the new graphics card. Also you might need to clear the bios, to re-iniate the onboard graphics card. Firstly phyisically check the motherboard as it should be marked with the manufacturer's code, as you cant use software to find this out. Then you could identify and download the instruction manual with ways to clear the bios. This will explain how to resolve the BIOS problem.

Unfortunately it's difficult to state the exact requirements of the system without finding out the components installed. If you have any idea of the specification or model of the computer it would help to post these details including the motherboard, and new graphics card. If your system is very old it might require a -5volt rail (doubtful) or a different connector from the PSU (What model is the current PSU?). So I can't really suggest a model without further information, although a cheap unbranded model could be counter productive and cause problems in the longrun.

IF you have a newer computer it might be advisable to install the old hard drive on the new system that way then you can access the information required. Unless it requires the software on the computer.
Original Poster
Wow, I've finally got it working! I just randomnly tried unplugging everything connected to the mobo, plugging it back in, and voíla! Maybe something was loose? Maybe its only a temp fix, I'm not sure, I'll see how it fares over the forth coming days.

Thanks for all your help though everyone! So do you think it would be ok, to put the graphics card back in, as it turns out it was a case of something just being lose? I've just purchased the graphics card and cant get a refund. Its the ATI radeon HD 5450. And my PSU is CWT 305W. PC is dual core and I have 2GB RAM. I know the site specifies minimum 400W PSU, but the generally theme seems to be that it should be alright?
Original Poster
Or can anybody recommend an upgrade to my current PSU? Im thinking 450W, but where's a good site to purchase one, and is there a specific type of PSU I need?
You might be able to run the graphics card from the PSU. Most sites suggest the Radeon 5450 pulls only 20-40 watts under full load. Whether you have a sufficient 12 volt rail to run all the components is another matter. A CPU can take upto 89 watts for an older dual-core. Motherboard takes 10-20 watts, CD and Hard Drive 10 watts each, Memory 5 watts each, Sound Card 5-20 watts. These are approximate wattage usage and there are so many variables, so only take the risk if you understand the consequences.

Now the machine is running my advice is run the software Everest or Sissandra (lite version for free) to gain the specification of your system. This way we can recommend a PSU or other components for you.

PS. What size is your case ? May impinge on the PSU selection.
Edited by: "nemesiz" 5th Feb 2012
Do you guys work for the psu industry? Genuine question. I can't think of any reason why you'd declare the existing one as the problem without any sort of diagnostics or gathering of background info (something no trained tech would ever do) , and following the apparently successful fix of simply reinstalling the new part, still using FUD and BS marketing techniques to hard sell a new unit.

Do you guys work for the psu industry? Genuine question. I can't think of … Do you guys work for the psu industry? Genuine question. I can't think of any reason why you'd declare the existing one as the problem without any sort of diagnostics or gathering of background info (something no trained tech would ever do) , and following the apparently successful fix of simply reinstalling the new part, still using FUD and BS marketing techniques to hard sell a new unit.

Sixteen years of building computers from 486's to the current I7 (roughly 1500 systems), installing upgrades, and providing technical advice, troubleshooting help and support. Worked in the computer industry for eighteen months from 2002,achieving the A+ qualification but changed career paths completely.

Concerning my comments if you read the advice carefully it does stipulate utilising Everest or Sissandra to obtain the system specification. Without a bootable system it's difficult to obtain this information, although researching the computer manufacturer and product code its possible. I'm in no way trying to sell components, but provide a plausible reason for the failure system boot to which the person asked in his initial question. Also replying to his question of replacing his PSU, but again saying it might be possible to run using the previous PSU.
Original Poster
Ok, I have installed Sissandra, now what info is it you need?
Sissandra provides technical information on your computer specifications and components installed, so you can either post the details or print screen of the data. Usually it is divided into specific sections such as CPU, System information etc. This way if you still require further help such as upgrading your system at a later date or have no problems with compatibilty with the graphics card, then this information is useful to ascertain a solution(if needed). Post the System summary as this should normally surfice, but more motherboard information, and Bus info could be helpful for other users. Although if your system is working fine and now stable with the new graphics card added, don't worry.

Whatever happens make sure you take a back-up of the vital data just as a precaution.
Original Poster
SiSoftware Sandra

Computer
Model : OEM System Product Name To Be Filled By O.E.M.
Serial Number : System Serial Number
Chassis : Chassis Manufacture Desktop
Mainboard : ASUS P5KPL-AM IN/GB
Serial Number : MT7001K45501963
BIOS : AMI (OEM) 0505 09/18/2009
Bus(es) : ISA X-Bus PCI PCIe IMB USB i2c/SMBus
Total Memory : 2GB DIMM DDR2

Processors
Processor : Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E6500 @ 2.93GHz (2C 3GHz, 2MB L2)

Chipset
Memory Controller : ASUS P35/G33/G31 Processor to I/O Controller 4x 266MHz (1GHz) FSB, 2GB DIMM DDR2 2x 399MHz (798MHz), Integrated Graphics

Memory Module(s)
Memory Module : Crucial CT25664AA800M16FJ 2GB DIMM DDR2 PC2-6400U DDR2-800 (5-6-6-18 3-24-6-3)

Video System
Video Adapter : Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family (8 SP 400MHz, 8MB DDR2 800MHz 64-bit, Integrated Graphics)

Graphics Processor

Storage Devices
SAMSUNG HD502HJ (500.1GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 16MB Cache) : 466GB (C:) (Z:)
ATAPI iHAS124 Y (2kB, SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache) : 2kB (D:)
DTSOFT BDROM () : N/A (F:)
IHGN GDIBOL6BC (8.1GB, SCSI, BD-R, DVD+-R-DL, CD-R) : 8GB (E:)

Logical Storage Devices
System Reserved : 100MB (NTFS)
Hard Disk (C:) : 446GB (NTFS) @ SAMSUNG HD502HJ (500.1GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 16MB Cache)
Development (Z:) : 20GB (NTFS) @ SAMSUNG HD502HJ (500.1GB, SATA300, 3.5", 7200rpm, 16MB Cache)
Optical Drive (D:) : N/A @ ATAPI iHAS124 Y (2kB, SATA150, DVD+-RW, CD-RW, 2MB Cache)
Optical Drive (F:) : N/A @ DTSOFT BDROM ()
DTS All Tests (E:) : 8GB (UDF) @ IHGN GDIBOL6BC (8.1GB, SCSI, BD-R, DVD+-R-DL, CD-R)

Peripherals
LPC Hub Controller 1 : ASUS 82801GB/GR (ICH7) LPC Interface Controller
LPC Legacy Controller 1 : ITE IT8720F
Audio Device : ASUS 82801G (ICH7) High Definition Audio
Serial Port(s) : 1
Disk Controller : ASUS 82801G (ICH7) Ultra ATA Storage Controller
Disk Controller : ASUS 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7) Serial ATA Storage Controller
USB Controller 1 : ASUS 82801G (ICH7) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 2 : ASUS 82801G (ICH7) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 3 : ASUS 82801G (ICH7) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 4 : ASUS 82801G (ICH7) USB Universal Host Controller
USB Controller 5 : ASUS 82801G (ICH7) USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller
SMBus/i2c Controller 1 : Intel ICH SMBus

Printers and Faxes
Printer : Send To Microsoft OneNote Driver (300x300, Colour)
Printer : HP Color LaserJet CP2020 Series PCL6 (600x600, Colour)
Printer : Microsoft XPS Document Writer (600x600, Colour)
Printer : Lexmark S600 Series (4800x4800, Colour, Duplex)
Printer : HP LaserJet 4200/4300 PCL6 (600x600, Colour)
Fax : Microsoft Shared Fax Driver (200x200)
Printer : Bullzip PDF Printer (4000x4000, Colour)

Network Services
Network Adapter : Realtek RTL8168D/8111D Family PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.20) (Ethernet, 100Mbps)

Operating System
Windows System : Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 6.01.7600
Platform Compliance : x86

Windows Experience Index
Current System : 3.2
Original Poster
ok, there's the information I think you were asking for. Any advice for a PSU then?

But also, I want to get to the bottom of this...

When I install my gpu, the monitor wont turn on now, but when I take it out, and switch back to onboard, and enter BIOS, it works again? What am I doing wrong?
Edited by: "feilong123" 6th Feb 2012
Please note you are doing this at your own risk.

Don't worry about a PSU at this point. First lets see if a straight forward changing of settings will allow your motherboard to recognise the newly installed GPU.

You can download the manual for the ASUS P5KPL-AM (Need Acrobat reader available free from adobe)
at asus.com/Mot…AM/ (see download tab). This gives you all the instructions on how to navigate the BIOS (see instruction manual from Page 46 2-6) but also to change the settings to switch off the on-board graphics card. On page 54 2-14 the Chipset settings Initiate Graphics Adapter, this tells the system where to look for the GPU. If the setting is IGD (integrated Graphics), change this to PEG/ PCI (PCI express) this way the BIOS looks for an external Graphics card first, then PCI and afterwards the IGD. Read the manual on how to clear the CMOS or BIOS, as a precaution.

If changing the bios settings dont work, then it is possibly a damaged Graphics Card (DOA - Dead On arrival) or a new PSU is required but lets not get too far.
Although I'm certainly not saying ignore the advice above, if the screen went black while you was in Windows, it's unlikely to be a BIOS or software issue.

I would agree with the last line of the nemesiz post above, gfx card or PSU are likely causes. If the PSU is at least 2 or 3 years old, then it won't be 305w as was originally rated, as all PSU's lose efficiency over time.

What you can do is try a minimal setup (only cpu, mobo, gfx and ram connected) and try to put the least amount of power draw through the PSU to see if that makes any difference.
Original Poster
What I dont understand is though, the first time I installed it, I just plugged it in the pci slot, turned on PC, with vga cable inserted into the graphics card port, and it worked instantly. Then tweaked the settings abit with Catalyst control centre, and it was perfect. So are you basically saying to disconnect the hard drive and try that? Okay, will see if that makes any difference.

Is there any possibility that I bought a "dud" card? Because as I said, it worked initially? So does this rule out a bad card? Or is that still a possibility?
Banned
Hi mate.
Could you bullet point exactly what you have tried. I had this problem earlier. The thing is, with you, it was working when you go onboard and it isnt when you add the gcard. So im guessing either it needs another cable which you are not aware of or most likely its a new PSU required. I thikn theyre called molex connectors. How many do you have plugged in? Could you also link your graphics card so i can have a look and if you have posted your spec then repost it please. Cheers. Im being lazy - Its sunday lol

What I dont understand is though, the first time I installed it, I just … What I dont understand is though, the first time I installed it, I just plugged it in the pci slot, turned on PC, with vga cable inserted into the graphics card port, and it worked instantly. Then tweaked the settings abit with Catalyst control centre, and it was perfect. So are you basically saying to disconnect the hard drive and try that? Okay, will see if that makes any difference. Is there any possibility that I bought a "dud" card? Because as I said, it worked initially? So does this rule out a bad card? Or is that still a possibility?

Researching the PSU, the CWT 305 WATT PUFP version Atx 1.3 has a dual shared 12v line that outputs and supplies 144 watts of power, 3.3 volt line producing 60 watts approximately and 5v line outputs 105 watts of power. The major items which utilises the 12v line is the Motherboard 10 - 30 watts, CPU which takes upto 65 watts (under full load), and the GPU 19.1 watts under load (6.4 watts idle). This figure excludes Optical drives that takes upto 30watts to power up but this uses a combination of the 5v and 12v. So you can see when you stress your system it could technically consume above the recommended 144 watts of power, although this is just an estimate. Thus when you start to run a program, and stress the system it crashes.

Would purchasing a new PSU allow you to run the Radeon Graphics Card 5450, the answer would probably be yes but problem could stem from something different such as a dud GPU (although if it worked initially, and are fans running then it probably insufficient power). Most new PSU's manufacturers adopted and ratified atx 2.0 and above (2.3 currently) so most components use the 12 volt rail, thus the newer Power Supply Units doesn't need to supply a 5 volt line, and so can concentrate on supplying more 12 volts of power on each line.

Edited by: "nemesiz" 14th Feb 2012
Original Poster
So is there no possibly way it could've been a "dud card"? Because I want to rule this out, because obviously the longer I leave it, the harder it will be to get a refund. Any suggestions?
Yes temporarily unplug the Blu Ray drive and Optical Drive to reduce the power consumption. Then start up the system with the Radeon 5450 installed. Usually before you boot into Windows, the BIOS provides the information on whether the system has detected each component, hopefully your graphics card will be listed. Boot up Windows normally with the Radeon 5450 installed, it may now have sufficient power to get to the desktop.

IF working try stressing the system with a game, or graphical instensive program i.e. Prime95, or Furmark(more appropriate, but read the warnings!) IF the system crashes to desktop, re-boots or a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) occurs an error code may pop-up which you can written down. This may indicate the problem. If it reboots It probably indicates insufficient power.

IF the system runs normally under stress, add the optical device one at a time and reboot each time. (Don't forget to switch off when plugging in components). And stress test.

Come back and report your findings.
Original Poster
Ok, so I tried unplugging the optical drives and installing the graphics card. Still displayed no video input. And that was when either in the graphics cards VGA port or the mobo's one. But as soon as I removed the graphics card, and turn back on, the onboard graphics kick in just fine? Do I need to disable/enable a setting? Faulty card? Or still a case of weak power? Just seems strange that it worked for an hour or so initially.
Edited by: "feilong123" 18th Feb 2012
A graphics card should still power up, even though not detected by the BIOS. Do you have a friend with a PC, that you could test the Graphics Card? Otherwise you've got to either contemplate returning the Graphics Card to be tested by the vendor or manufacturer. Otherwise risk purchasing a new PSU.
Original Poster
Ok, last think I'll try is disabling onboard graphics in BIOS. Do you know how I can do this? If that doesn't work its going back to the shop for testing
Yes see comment no.18 on page 1 for more details.
Edited by: "nemesiz" 18th Feb 2012
Original Poster
Ok, so I took the card back, and they tried and tested it, and it didn't work on their machines either. Said it was a dead card and gave me a full refund. I wonder what caused it to die though? Is it my comp? Or was it due to die? Want to get a replacement, but this dead one is kind of putting me off. Is there a card specifically suited to my mobo, because the HD 5450 was very much a tight squeeze.

HD 5450 was very much a tight squeeze.

Dimensions wise the Radeon 5450 is quite a small graphics cards, compared to the higer ranges on offer by the major manufacturors. Mainly due to customed cooling, processor size and amount of memory modules. Although depending on your graphics card it probably has passive cooling (a large cooler to dissipate heat, as it has no fan).

I wonder what caused it to die though? Is it my comp?

Difficult to say. The graphics card could easily have been faulty from the beginning. Although a voltage serge or spike could have damaged it, or consequences from insufficient voltage or wattage provided by the PSU. Without phyiscally examining the computer, or running further diagnostics it hard to clarify or track down possible problems.

If you are using the computer for basic tasks i.e. listening to music, using microsoft office, producing simple graphical work, or even playing older generation games then an upgrade shouldn't be required. If you are looking to play the newer games, programming complicated or technical graphical or scientific work a minimum upgrade of the PSU, Graphics Card, and maybe memory may be in order. It all depends on your requirements.
Original Poster
Yes i think your right. The passive cooling part, appeared to make the bulkier towards the right(where there was limited space), whereas to the left hand side, there is plenty of room.

That is all I want it for, ps1 emulators and the odd 1080p movie, however, I tried to run a game, in lowest settings, and it was very jerky, but when I had the HD 5450 installed for the short period, it ran smooth as anything. So what would you recommend? Just maybe buying one brand new because I'd get the 2 year warranty? Or am I still at risks of a power surge?

As stated before, also have a 2 year old,CWT 305w psu, that came within the pc. Any cheap upgrades to this?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions