Should Disc break pads last longer then 2 months?

Posted 16th Apr
Have an Carrera E-bike for around year now, get it services at halfords, my biggest issue has been the breaks, I have always had them go weak very quickly then end up having to change then very recently, they are now back to zilch again and will need to take it in.

They was changed exactly 2 months ago, 2 weeks they go slightly week then by 2 months there non existent, I rode this bike everyday mon-friday 6 miles each way.

Brakes are BR-M666 Resin Pad, at 7.99£ each and can't remember how much they charge for fitting.

I have no idea what i'm talking about with this sort of thing so want some advice
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
Perhaps try going somewhere else and see how long they last then?
Try using brake pads?
"AAGGGHHHHH" the word is " Brakes " !! not "Breaks " . I've had a Carrera EBike for nearly 3 years now and brakes have been fine , but only done about 1500 miles total . If it helps I believe Halfords have a 1 year warranty on all parts they supply and fit so put it back to them to fix .
rogparki16/04/2019 21:32

"AAGGGHHHHH" the word is " Brakes " !! not "Breaks " . I've had a Carrera …"AAGGGHHHHH" the word is " Brakes " !! not "Breaks " . I've had a Carrera EBike for nearly 3 years now and brakes have been fine , but only done about 1500 miles total . If it helps I believe Halfords have a 1 year warranty on all parts they supply and fit so put it back to them to fix .

don;t think they give warranty on worn break pads? no?
I've had them changed 3-4 times in 1 year, seems like i spend my life in the shop picking it up.
Gumbon16/04/2019 21:39

don;t think they give warranty on worn break pads? no?I've had them …don;t think they give warranty on worn break pads? no?I've had them changed 3-4 times in 1 year, seems like i spend my life in the shop picking it up.

12 month guarantee on Labour and parts halfords.com/adv…tre . Take it back to them .The brake pads absolutely will NOT wear out every 3 months on 12 miles a day - or even 50 miles a day .
Edited by: "rogparki" 16th Apr
rogparki3 m ago

12 month guarantee on Labour and parts …12 month guarantee on Labour and parts https://www.halfords.com/advice/cycling/service/service-centre . Take it back to them .The brake pads absolutely will NOT wear out every 3 months on 12 miles a day

"(excluding wear and tear or misuse)"

Gumbon49 m ago

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-parts/bike-brakes/shimano-br-m666-g01s-resin-pad-and-spring

Could try going metal rather than resin
Gumbon16/04/2019 21:39

I've had them changed 3-4 times in 1 year...Resin Pad, at 7.99£ each and …I've had them changed 3-4 times in 1 year...Resin Pad, at 7.99£ each and can't remember how much they charge for fitting.

At that sort of frequency I would kinda remember.
AndyRoyd16/04/2019 21:56

At that sort of frequency I would kinda remember.

I might go back through my statements, its hard to remember when i've been in for a few bike punctures (i need to learn to do myself I know)
Gumbon1 m ago

I might go back through my statements, its hard to remember when i've been …I might go back through my statements, its hard to remember when i've been in for a few bike punctures (i need to learn to do myself I know)

Multiple brake pads and multiple punctures? That is astounding misfortune.
Either you rid downhill a lot at speed and brake very hard or something isn’t quite right. I personally would trust halfrauds as far as I could throw them, people with less knowledge than you replace the parts on bikes.
Gumbon16/04/2019 21:58

I might go back through my statements, its hard to remember when i've been …I might go back through my statements, its hard to remember when i've been in for a few bike punctures (i need to learn to do myself I know)

or get some armoured tyres to protect from punctures
Even though I have Halfords Bike Care, I wouldn't rely on them to fix it.
The best advice is to learn how to clean the pads yourself. That's what I did.
I've found the pads do need cleaning every so often.

Get some isopropyl alcohol spray, clean paper towels and some fine emery cloth.
Clean the pads and rotors with the alcohol and towels and use the emery to lightly clean off extra layers of dirt.

You could also try Sintered or Ceramic pads for extra stopping power too.
Also make sure the pads are centred when you brake.

YouTube has lots of cleaning and centring brake videos.
Edited by: "Derek_Lancelot_Shatwell" 16th Apr
cmdr_elito10 h, 18 m ago

Either you rid downhill a lot at speed and brake very hard or something …Either you rid downhill a lot at speed and brake very hard or something isn’t quite right. I personally would trust halfrauds as far as I could throw them, people with less knowledge than you replace the parts on bikes.

To be far I do go down a big hill every day , breaking moderately for 5-10 seconds
Bertz9916/04/2019 22:11

or get some armoured tyres to protect from punctures

Overall not annoyed with frequency of punctures, have slime in them which help tiny amount, I will look at new tires if it happens to frequently

The brakes are my only gripe, but as one guy said i do go down a big hill everyday so maybe I do wear them out?

Will try cleaning then out like someone mentioned, j might go to a bike training session to learn it myself, paying Halfords can be a pain with time it takes and lack of staff who will touch a ebike
Gumbon59 m ago

Overall not annoyed with frequency of punctures, have slime in them which …Overall not annoyed with frequency of punctures, have slime in them which help tiny amount, I will look at new tires if it happens to frequentlyThe brakes are my only gripe, but as one guy said i do go down a big hill everyday so maybe I do wear them out?Will try cleaning then out like someone mentioned, j might go to a bike training session to learn it myself, paying Halfords can be a pain with time it takes and lack of staff who will touch a ebike

On that I would try different pads as I suggested Metal aka Metal Sintered

They have a longer lifespan albeit take longer to bed in and also can be a little noisier than resin aka organic pads
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions