Should I accept this good will gesture from Scottish Power?

Found 10th Jun 2015
Scottish power have offered me a £30 good will gesture for all their crap over the last year.

1) They couldn't generate a bill for me because someone on their end **** up and they couldn't tell me what was happening for the first 4 months

2) They sent me debt collection letters 11 months later when they finally produced a bill when i didn't even know i had a debt

3) they repeatedly said i was on the best rates when really they are the normal electricity rates

4) 6 advisors have promised to call me back when only 1 has (and 4 of these were from the complaints team

5) I've made 25 necessary calls over the past year and sometimes waited on hold for 60 minutes to be told "we don't know what's happening. let me send it to back office" and then nothing comes of it

6) I've had emails asking me to pay my bill when they have never been able to bill me.

I've held off going to the energy ombusman. To be honest they've been the worst. When I phone back and they continue to offer me £30 should I just said "I appreciate the good will gesture you are willing to apply, however it's not good enough or reflective of the amount of trouble you've put me through?"

p.s. I usually don't do this sort of thing, but I've expended so much energy on them, and they've been unacceptable.
Community Updates
Ask
16 Comments
try twitter too. you may get a faster response from Scottish powrr
I had a really bad ordeal with these scum bags. it was one of their service engineers came out to replace a flow switch on my boiler. he fitted fired up and all worked fine........until to my absolute amazement he started hitting the circuit board with the back of a screwdriver.....bang unreplaceable part £1200 new boiler 2 years of phone calls emails and taking them to energy ombudsman....for £50 !....best part was when the guy who broke it offered to fit a power shower as a foreigner until I got a new boiler.
No not a chance the phone calls alone would cost more than that my wife got £15 good will for a phone call and £90 off the bill but that was with eon and we are still taking it to the ombudsmen fight your corner
does £30 even cover your phone calls to them? Then all then hassle and a good well gesture on top is what I would want
I wouldn't accept the £30 offer for all of your points
It's a goodwill gesture - argue it and they can easily retract it. Then what are you going to ?

You've had crap service, that's all. Seems to be standard in the industry of gas/elec. not really worth the hassle IMO - there are bigger problems in the world
kjcoolcat

It's a goodwill gesture - argue it and they can easily retract it. Then … It's a goodwill gesture - argue it and they can easily retract it. Then what are you going to ?You've had crap service, that's all. Seems to be standard in the industry of gas/elec. not really worth the hassle IMO - there are bigger problems in the world

I know what you mean. They call it a good will gesture, but really it's compensation. They know customers could go to the ombusman which would cause potentially more problems than giving me the proper compensation. It sounds to me from speaking to them that £30 is the norm, but I doubt my case is the normal.
theshepherd83

I had a really bad ordeal with these scum bags. it was one of their … I had a really bad ordeal with these scum bags. it was one of their service engineers came out to replace a flow switch on my boiler. he fitted fired up and all worked fine........until to my absolute amazement he started hitting the circuit board with the back of a screwdriver.....bang unreplaceable part £1200 new boiler 2 years of phone calls emails and taking them to energy ombudsman....for £50 !....best part was when the guy who broke it offered to fit a power shower as a foreigner until I got a new boiler.

That sounds really horrible. Did you take the £50 and what did the ombudsman say?
Honestly from my experience, from all the trouble you have had, politely explain to them that u believe £X (60?) to be a reasonable amount. You don't to waste any more time on this matter, want to get it settled at this amount and call it a day. If they say no, tell them to check it with their supervisor/manager. Generally they will bump up their offering.
Legendaryjordan

I know what you mean. They call it a good will gesture, but really it's … I know what you mean. They call it a good will gesture, but really it's compensation. They know customers could go to the ombusman which would cause potentially more problems than giving me the proper compensation. It sounds to me from speaking to them that £30 is the norm, but I doubt my case is the normal.

I had a very similar problem to you with Npower, absolute morons. Never got offered any compensation or a goodwill gesture but pretty sure if I pursued it I'd have got something, but it's not worth the aggro in all honesty. If you have the time and patience then go for it - and I know it's a bit pessimistic but I just drew a line under it and vowed never to use or recommend them again. I was just happy to have got shot of the problem in the end.

£30 is peanuts, but for the added time and stress involved i would just take it. Unless you suffered financially then it's not worth it. All my own opinion of course
Edited by: "kjcoolcat" 10th Jun 2015
Legendaryjordan

That sounds really horrible. Did you take the £50 and what did the … That sounds really horrible. Did you take the £50 and what did the ombudsman say?

. still have the cheque not put it into account. unfortunately as it wasn't exactly to do with energy the ombudsman where reluctant to do anything. This is literally a tiny part of the whole ordeal. After getting a new boiler fitted (not by Scottish power) and complaining like mad, I got a phone call of there service manager for the north west who said that if I could get the old boiler back he would re-install it and fix it! and if the gas engineer who put the new boiler in was genuine he would happily come out take the new boiler out and refund me! ....This is one of these situations that you have to actually be there to believe it .
my parents were not billed for 3 months so they received a bill after 6 months causing a awful confusion as it was ££ s.

Atlantic paid the £20 but I asked them for more but they would so I agreed to it after 5 more mins arguing.
its awful of it happens to your elders, they can't cope with it plus the electric and gas is sky high.
iv changed the supplier straight after for them .

op you need to change supplier !!
you may get £30 cash back. don't accept £30 say you want £60 as you were threatened
Scottish power were charging me treble what they should have been, they were calculating it in the wrong measurement (imperial /metric). It took 3 years to sort out as they did not believe I was being over charged. I'm with Flow Energy now and they are brilliant, change to flow.
Work out what your bills would have been on a fixed tariff using your readings for the bill, then ask for the difference + compensation for the stress and hassle. I had a complaint that went to the ombudsman with them for a different reason (still their incompetence) and got £300 back.

Keep everything in writing though as the ombudsman needs to see evidence you've been trying to communicate with them.

Good luck
If you've been sent debt collection letters then I'd be looking to make sure they haven't screwed up your credit file!? Worth checking with experian, equifax and noddle... I'd want a lot more than £30 if they have as it can take ages to sort CRA issues out!
I went to Ombudsman after 18 months of them stopping my Direct Debit. I called SP so many times and was told it would be sorted and of course it wasnt. After months with the Ombudsman they let me have free gas for the 18 months I didnt get any bills and another payment of £250 as a good will gesture. You need to get a complaint number before you make a complaint to Ombudsman.Dont accept that £30 .
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants