Should I be posting deals

Posted 22nd Mar
I’ve posted a lot of deals recently and now I’m thinking I should stop,

we are creating unnecessary demand and risk for warehouse workers, transport and delivery persons for goods none of us actually need in these times of crisis.

Yes the financial impact is gonna be massive.. but stopping this deadly virus is the key aim.

I have been very blasai in recent weeks but the news has hit home
Community Updates
Ask
17 Comments
If everyone stopped it would simply affect the money the site makes and mean less chance of it being here in the future. Also just because deals stop doesn’t mean people will keep looking and buying, they may just not impulse buy which many who use the site for a long time may have stopped a while ago.

biggest issue for me is the supermarket deals which get so much heat but the majority of stores simply don’t have them.
Yeah it’s a difficult one to sum up, I’m seeing some cracking deals in my chosen hobbies such as mountain biking and my
Love of trainers but we don’t need them
Arguably now's a particularly *good* time to post deals, in some cases at least. If businesses don't have orders to fulfill, they may become unviable and feel that they have to lay off employees, even with the new government support - which will leave everyone worse off. While the risk is clearly non-zero, warehousing, transport and delivery, provided they're carried out with precautions, probably bring relatively low risks of exposure. Alongside that, for many people there's going to be a particular need to save money on purchases that they do need to make.
this is a difficult one but you could argue that if people buy things online instead of trampling around the shops, that will help with social distancing. perhaps when this is all over, "remote" will be a big word and avoiding other people and being antisocial may be the new cool thing
Can you not just make up your own mind?
Delivery drivers are conduits of the virus carrying them from a warehouse in one part to the country straight to your door. Let's keep the party going.
health.com/con…ail

The conclusion from the above:

Ultimately, while there is a very small chance for coronavirus to be transmitted via packages or mail carriers, it's highly unlikely. "I don't believe mail or packages should be a major concern for individuals," Amesh Adalja, MD, senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins University Center for Health Security. "This is not going to be a major route of illness."

If you're still worried, follow the CDC's general advice for protecting yourself from the coronavirus and wash your hands thoroughly after handling the mail.
Illusionary22/03/2020 12:28

https://www.health.com/condition/infectious-diseases/coronavirus/can-the-coronavirus-spread-through-mailThe conclusion from the above: Ultimately, while there is a very small chance for coronavirus to be transmitted via packages or mail carriers, it's highly unlikely. "I don't believe mail or packages should be a major concern for individuals," Amesh Adalja, MD, senior scholar at the Johns Hopkins University Center for Health Security. "This is not going to be a major route of illness."If you're still worried, follow the CDC's general advice for protecting yourself from the coronavirus and wash your hands thoroughly after handling the mail.

It’s not me I’m worried about it’s the workforce in the factory’s , transportation and delivery who are at risk in there day to day work and getting to work, for what so we can get another bargain pair of trainers that are not needed
Edited by: "whatyadoinsucka" 22nd Mar
If what you post surely are "deals", surely the seller wanted to have those items sold, regardless of the situation? Extreme case scenario, If there's less demand of the product, then the store might not make enough, therefore forced to laying off their workers (yes - it's extreme, but same principle), if there's no demand of something, whether it being the warehouse staff, logistics, then there's no work, economy drops, then... Whether you post deals or not, the seller has obviously prepared staff for sales and such, so in the end, it all balances out, there'll always be demand for work, won't matter
Edited by: "duckative" 22nd Mar
I won't be posting any deals that might encourage a rush of people after a bargain to a physical shop, and I hope this site bans misprice deals that aren't likely to get honoured, that would otherwise create suppliers lots of work cancelling orders.

It occur to me some time after posting the lidl breadmaker, that it wasn't a great idea, and lidl might not even put them out, but at least that shouldn't be very popular, and hopefully most people would only only go after one if they need to buy normal shopping anyway.
whatyadoinsucka22/03/2020 12:33

It’s not me I’m worried about it’s the workforce in the factory’s , transpo …It’s not me I’m worried about it’s the workforce in the factory’s , transportation and delivery who are at risk in there day to day work and getting to work, for what so we can get another bargain pair of trainers that are not needed

Fair enough. The message that I've seen around this, though, is that appropriate precautions are generally being taken to minimise the risk - and it means that these workers still have an income source to keep them going during this period. That said, I certainly wouldn't look to downplay the situation as a whole.
Illusionary22/03/2020 12:54

Fair enough. The message that I've seen around this, though, is that …Fair enough. The message that I've seen around this, though, is that appropriate precautions are generally being taken to minimise the risk - and it means that these workers still have an income source to keep them going during this period. That said, I certainly wouldn't look to downplay the situation as a whole.

If they are on PAYE they will have an income regardless if they work or not, the government is funding companies with 80% of salary for those earning upto £30k a year
whatyadoinsucka22/03/2020 12:59

If they are on PAYE they will have an income regardless if they work or …If they are on PAYE they will have an income regardless if they work or not, the government is funding companies with 80% of salary for those earning upto £30k a year

Yes, but that needs them to stay on the payroll - the risk is that they could be laid off completely. These are also people who may not be on a fixed income, which creates further uncertainty.
Edited by: "Illusionary" 22nd Mar
melted22/03/2020 12:38

I won't be posting any deals that might encourage a rush of people after a …I won't be posting any deals that might encourage a rush of people after a bargain to a physical shop, and I hope this site bans misprice deals that aren't likely to get honoured, that would otherwise create suppliers lots of work cancelling orders.It occur to me some time after posting the lidl breadmaker, that it wasn't a great idea, and lidl might not even put them out, but at least that shouldn't be very popular, and hopefully most people would only only go after one if they need to buy normal shopping anyway.

I am going to avoid posting in store deals. I raised a flag about the Flying Tiger Easter clearance in store but the deal has been left in place.
Illusionary22/03/2020 13:05

Yes, but that needs them to stay on the payroll - the risk is that they …Yes, but that needs them to stay on the payroll - the risk is that they could be laid off completely. These are also people who may not be on a fixed income, which creates further uncertainty.

Yes true and company directors tend to be very short sighted, many companies cull staff because they can rather than need to
I'm a deal poster, it's in my blood and it's what I love to do, I'm more inclined to post deals now for two reasons.

1. Its actually taking my mind off of things, I love the rush of finding a deal, I love to search for a deal, I love a big Ebay code or any code, and I won't stop doing what I love until hot UK deals tell me too, I'm not ashamed of the fact either.
2. I regularly post mobile phone deals, so I'd like to hope I'm supporting any of these companies by having people purchase their products. Plus delivery companies are still delivering, so until that's stops again, I'll keep posting

Sorry if this sounds selfish, but I won't stop!

Sorry to rattle on
MrSwitch22/03/2020 19:40

I'm a deal poster, it's in my blood and it's what I love to do, I'm more …I'm a deal poster, it's in my blood and it's what I love to do, I'm more inclined to post deals now for two reasons.1. Its actually taking my mind off of things, I love the rush of finding a deal, I love to search for a deal, I love a big Ebay code or any code, and I won't stop doing what I love until hot UK deals tell me too, I'm not ashamed of the fact either. 2. I regularly post mobile phone deals, so I'd like to hope I'm supporting any of these companies by having people purchase their products. Plus delivery companies are still delivering, so until that's stops again, I'll keep posting Sorry if this sounds selfish, but I won't stop! Sorry to rattle on

Haha I know what you mean I see a bargain I like to share it, but I think it’s got real this weekend, we will be in lockdown soon, even McDonald’s is closing all stores for the foreseeable future
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants