should I build or buy a shed?

Hi,

I am looking at getting rid of my old garden wooden shed and either getting a new one or building a new one myself. Does anybody know if there is much of a cost savings involved in building yourself?

16 Comments

Hi there. I bought a 10ft x 10ft metal shed from b&q a while ago. The shed itself cost me £650 including fixture. However, they needed a concrete floor beneath it which cost me £300. All in all, around £1000. However, I am very pleased that I got it done because considering the size my downstairs rooms are now spacious.
Edited by: "TheRatedSeller" 16th Aug 2016

I bought a 12x10 t&g shed with double doors. The roof and floor was t&g as well, complete with glass windows. The t&g was 15mm thick.
I could change the door position and how many doors. With up to four windows big or small, where I wanted them as well.
All for £620 from a company on eBay.
They deliver and assemble it to.
Great value.

Building a shed is pretty easy (but I did do it for 14 years)

A decent local shed builder can build a custom one at a higher spec than the local BnQ. But would be more expensive.

Are you local to Portsmouth at all?

richardthompson79

I bought a 12x10 t&g shed with double doors. The roof and floor was t&g … I bought a 12x10 t&g shed with double doors. The roof and floor was t&g as well, complete with glass windows. The t&g was 15mm thick.I could change the door position and how many doors. With up to four windows big or small, where I wanted them as well.All for £620 from a company on eBay.They deliver and assemble it to.Great value.

That sounds like a pretty decent price. Are the sides shiplap TvG?

if your capable and have the skills build it yourself that way u can have it as u want and the quality is at ure level

krisward7955

That sounds like a pretty decent price. Are the sides shiplap TvG?

​yes they are

Have you considered the Keter sheds - they are great
The wooden ones age quickly

not if you treat them every year

I used a shipping container wooden and converted into a shed

Sandy1012

Have you considered the Keter sheds - they are greatThe wooden ones age … Have you considered the Keter sheds - they are greatThe wooden ones age quickly

My wooden shed is 15 years old and is pretty much as good as the day it went up. Keter ones are awful. Tried putting shelves, hooks etc up in one yet?

OP, unless you have access to trade prices for the wood and buy in bulk, it will be far cheaper to buy a decent one than purchase the wood and DIY. Far far less hassle even assuming you have a chop saw etc etc
Edited by: "chocci" 16th Aug 2016

We've bought from above.....full fixtures and fittings inc.....

AbuQurra786

Keter plastic shed 8 x 6ft only £399.99 - RING TO BUY ON 01977 678001 OR … Keter plastic shed 8 x 6ft only £399.99 - RING TO BUY ON 01977 678001 OR CALL IN we're open 7 days a week.

​£400 quid for a shed!!!!

Yes had both, wood one looks great to start with then after 2 years its looks 15 years old and needs to be treated/coated and always be maintained to make it look half decent. The wood start to rot and then the roof needs new felt etc. and you dred going in there.

Ketter ones are more weatherproof/longlasting and come with shelves and brackets inlcuded, a better base.
Its practically maintenence free and feels more like a proper room - Chalk and cheese

I bought an 8 x 6 last year from Tigersheds. Came in pretreated sides, base, ends roof etc.
My wife and I put it up in less than an hour
Can't recommend them enough. Even get free delivery.
Just google tiger sheds
It only cost £209, worth every penny
Edited by: "Dmacs1" 16th Aug 2016

You probably won't save any money building it yourself (in fact you'll probably end up spending a bit more) but you'll end up with a higher quality shed in exactly the shape, size and layout that you want and best fits the location you'll be putting it.

I was looking to build a workshop and when you took into account the time and the materials and the learning curve I decided to buy a log cabin, an absolute doddle to put up and cost £800, I watch Shed of the Year and wish I had the patience and time to build one myself.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Kia Rio 1.0 T-GDI (petrol) vs Rio 1.4 CRDI (diesel)11
    2. Bed pillow recommendations44
    3. Buyers Surveyor undervalued our house11
    4. Any plumbers DIY'rs? basin waste problem57

See more discussions