Should I buy a surround soundbar or stick with my 5.1 AVR and speakers?

Posted 24th Oct
Hi all.

I have been out of AV technology for a few years and I was shocked to see so many 5.1 surround soundbars at Currys.

I will be moving into a new place so I was wondering whether or not soundbars are actually better. I've been reading online and I cannot believe the suggestions that soundbars are better than separates. Am I looking at the wrong sites?

I have a Yamaha RX V375 coupled with a set of Harman Kardon HKTS 7 5.1 speakers

I have my PC, Ps3 and Ps4 all connected via the hdmi in ports and the AVR hdmi out to the tv which is only 1080 but I have no plans or need to upgrade this.

Will I get better audio from a £300 surround soundbar in the 4m x 3m room I will be using? I have no need for any new features like network connectivity/bluetooth/4k/hdr/ etc.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

6 Comments
I would stick with what you have tbh.. spend the £300 on a decent console lol..
Good question
Keep what you have, in truth there is no such thing as a true 5.1 soundbar or even a Dolby Atmos soundbar, its all just marketing speil, its Virtual 5.1 and Virtual Dolby Atmos, and despite all the marketing claims about these expensive soundbars bouncing sound around the room in perfect accuracy is not something I believe, yes they do a fantastic job don't get me wrong, but they will NEVER beat a true 5.1 or true dolby Atmos speaker setup no matter what anyone says.
Edited by: "lettherebedeals" 24th Oct
Bargainhead24/10/2019 17:20

I would stick with what you have tbh.. spend the £300 on a decent console …I would stick with what you have tbh.. spend the £300 on a decent console lol..

Fanboy lol
Defo stick to what you have. Save your cash or splash out on the new Nvidia Shield!
hungova01/11/2019 16:56

Defo stick to what you have. Save your cash or splash out on the new …Defo stick to what you have. Save your cash or splash out on the new Nvidia Shield!

Thanks.

I don't need an nvidia shield as my PC does everything I need to watch, I don't even need to "stream". My pc is fanless too so it's silent.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants