should I buy Fire stick, Fire Tv, Or Roku?

Found 24th Mar
Hi I am useless with this sort of thing so need a quick bit of advice before the Amzon sale finishes. Should I buy the Fire stick, Fire tv, or the Roku stick?

I am form the UK so did want now tv which but I know from reading around isn't an option on the amazon devices which is why Roku is in the equation. More importantly though I would like to try Kodi for the first time and I would also like the best device for streaming football form my MacBook air.

The streaming performance is my main priority as I had the chrome cast version 1 when it first came out but it looked pretty bad and the motion blur on football was awful, I am hoping several years on one of these new devices would be a massive improvement on that and I can try again.
Thanks
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
22 Comments
Buy two, Roku for NowTV etc. Firestick for the others (apparently).

I have Chromecast Gen 1 and 2 and Ultra not noticed any motion blur on any sport.
I have ROKU and Firestick. For what its worth I think ROKU is easier to use and Firestick seems to be better for BBC iPlayer. So not a lot to choose from, unless you particularly wasnt NowTV
If you're not going to stream in 4K then you don't need a fire tv box. I would buy the 2nd gen fire tv box (usb, microSD slot, ethernet) but not the current 3rd gen box. If you're happy with just FHD then get a fire stick + another device to watch NOW TV.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 24th Mar
Roku dose it all and I believe they have headphone socket in the remote.. If you can afford to pay for one then I would go for that.. Youtube will be on to unlike the browser version on the fire stick
Edited by: "wayners" 24th Mar
wayners27 m ago

Roku dose it all and I believe they have headphone socket in the remote.. …Roku dose it all and I believe they have headphone socket in the remote.. If you can afford to pay for one then I would go for that.. Youtube will be on to unlike the browser version on the fire stick

You can't put Kodi on Roku and if you want Youtube on the fire stick then install Smart Youtube TV app. OP needs 2 devices.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 24th Mar
wayners34 m ago

Roku dose it all and I believe they have headphone socket in the remote.. …Roku dose it all and I believe they have headphone socket in the remote.. If you can afford to pay for one then I would go for that.. Youtube will be on to unlike the browser version on the fire stick

Some have a headphone socket not all. And as above no Kodi.
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 24th Mar
RiverDragon81 h, 22 m ago

If you're not going to stream in 4K then you don't need a fire tv box. I …If you're not going to stream in 4K then you don't need a fire tv box. I would buy the 2nd gen fire tv box (usb, microSD slot, ethernet) but not the current 3rd gen box. If you're happy with just FHD then get a fire stick + another device to watch NOW TV.

2nd Gen box does not support HDR, 3rd gen box does, might be important if the OP wants 4K.
Edited by: "OBH6UK" 24th Mar
OBH6UK8 h, 9 m ago

2nd Gen box does not support HDR, 3rd gen box does, might be inportant if …2nd Gen box does not support HDR, 3rd gen box does, might be inportant if the OP want's 4K.

You got to weigh out the pros and cons. No HDR support + only 4K @ 30FPS but you're gaining in other departments such as more powerful device, usb port, microSD slot and ethernet. I think fire stick will do OP.
If OP hasn't got or has no intention of getting a Prime subscription then get an android TV box instead of a fire stick.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 25th Mar
OBH6UK1 h, 18 m ago

Some have a headphone socket not all. And as above no Kodi.

Kodi is dead I thought... Well to get the good stuff for free it is last time I looked..
Edited by: "wayners" 24th Mar
Original Poster
Thanks for the responses, I should of said I have now tv on PS4 I just don't like using it because the joypad battery is ridiculous and the ps4 fans are annoying. I was only thinking of the fire Tv because I thought the upgraded specs might help when streaming the football from my Mac?

After reading through the comments I think it's best to settle for the normal fire stick as I have never used Kodi and want to know what the fuss is about.

Thanks

EDIT: Is Kodi dead? do people use an alternative? is the alternative on Roku?

Double EDIT: I dont have a 4k TV either, I am waiting to get an OLED tv when the time feels right so 4k doesn't bother me.
Edited by: "reddev3" 24th Mar
Roku.
wayners8 h, 45 m ago

Kodi is dead I thought... Well to get the good stuff for free it is last …Kodi is dead I thought... Well to get the good stuff for free it is last time I looked..

Kodi works perfectly still for me. Personally, I would get a proper android tv box rather than a fire /Roku one.
Can you cast from your phone on Riki like chromecast does
chocci6 h, 42 m ago

Kodi works perfectly still for me. Personally, I would get a proper …Kodi works perfectly still for me. Personally, I would get a proper android tv box rather than a fire /Roku one.

I get the impression if you are tech minded. Run a vpn. Update and mess with different kodi builds and plugins and the wind is blowing in the right direction then you can watch the streams. Must be a ton to android boxes sat doing nothing now. Kodi itself works great for what it dose as a media centre.
wayners44 m ago

I get the impression if you are tech minded. Run a vpn. Update and mess …I get the impression if you are tech minded. Run a vpn. Update and mess with different kodi builds and plugins and the wind is blowing in the right direction then you can watch the streams. Must be a ton to android boxes sat doing nothing now. Kodi itself works great for what it dose as a media centre.

Stop talking nonsense, have you heard a saying 'A closed mouth gathers no feet'?
wayners1 h, 2 m ago

I get the impression if you are tech minded. Run a vpn. Update and mess …I get the impression if you are tech minded. Run a vpn. Update and mess with different kodi builds and plugins and the wind is blowing in the right direction then you can watch the streams. Must be a ton to android boxes sat doing nothing now. Kodi itself works great for what it dose as a media centre.

If anything is ever taken off line then two similar 'streamers' whether being a Kodi addon or an apk appear almost immediately - there has never been so many reliable alternatives! Just have a look for Doc Squiffy, Solo Man or newtechrevolution on Youtube - these guys are posting almost daily videos identifying new options!
wayners1 h, 5 m ago

I just have one build on mine and all the tv and films stream perfectly through kodi (no vpn). Took all of 10 minutes to install. Plus terrarium TV is great too.

Roku and fire TV are just way too restricted compared to android boxes (mine cost £25 (m8s) and a further £9 for an air mouse remote. Had it 2 years now and it's brilliant.
RiverDragon823 m ago

Stop talking nonsense, have you heard a saying 'A closed mouth gathers no …Stop talking nonsense, have you heard a saying 'A closed mouth gathers no feet'?

I work in peoples homes and I used to regularly see kodi boxes. Don't see them now although I seen a bent sky box 2 weeks ago.. That's a first.. Years ago I seen loads of cable adapters things.. Baby Js were they called... I just can't be bothered spending the time f in about with it now only to stop.. I see Krypton is working with vpn but for how long. Those with the inclination good luck..
wayners15 m ago

I work in peoples homes and I used to regularly see kodi boxes. Don't see …I work in peoples homes and I used to regularly see kodi boxes. Don't see them now although I seen a bent sky box 2 weeks ago.. That's a first.. Years ago I seen loads of cable adapters things.. Baby Js were they called... I just can't be bothered spending the time f in about with it now only to stop.. I see Krypton is working with vpn but for how long. Those with the inclination good luck..

You and those people don't know what is the latest addons or apps to have on their boxes thats why.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 25th Mar
RiverDragon848 m ago

You and those people don't know what is the latest addons or apps to have …You and those people don't know what is the latest addons or apps to have on their boxes thats why.

Agreed. Youtube has the answer but I lost interest
RiverDragon811 m ago

This is how your android TV box should be set up like click, skim through …This is how your android TV box should be set up like click, skim through this video I just posted.

Nice set up, plenty of options.
Original Poster
Thank you everyone, ordered the fire stick to get me started. I will bear in mind a streaming box rather than dongle is better tough and may upgrade in the future.

I will also check out youtube videos od those people to help me with the Kodi side of things.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants