Groups

Should I buy this 4K TV now or wait for a price drop?

I am intending to purchase a 4K TV soon which would primarily be used for gaming. I currently have a PS4 Pro and Xbox One S, and will probably be buying a Scorpio when it launches. The model that interests me is the Samsung KS7000 60". It features low input lag and HDR which are both essential to me. I am not desperate right now but as the year progresses and more AAA games are released, I expect the urgency to buy a new TV will increase. My concern is that if I jump in right now the price might drop very soon, possibly within a few weeks. Is that just a gamble you have to take when you are making a big purchase? I would welcome any opinions from the community.

currys.co.uk/gbu…tml

6 Comments

I think you should buy it if it's needed but if it's not that important than wait for deals to come up

They've already dropped a fortune over the past year. Theres different ones now quantium dot and other gimmicks

TV prices seem to start high on release at around march time and then drop until November-December. They then go up a little and bumble along until the model is discontinued. You might see it go lower when they clear out the last of the stock, but don't expect any major price drops for that model.

I wouldn't expect the UE60KS7000 to go lower than the £1200 it was a couple of months ago and the current price.

I'd either buy now while stock is plentiful or wait until the end of next year for the new models to come down in price by a similar amount, although with brexit they may end up more expensive.

Waiting four or five months seems like the worst choice.

A good chunk of people who have the KS7000 have judder issues i was also tempted to buy until i read user comments here: https://www.avforums.com/threads/samsung-ks7000-ue55ks7000-uhd-4k-tv-review.2032989/

Search "judder" i've now been tempted to buy LG B6.

I'd say wait until closer to March when Samsung new series of TV announced at CES2017 are relased as you may get an extra £200 off as they shift stock.

I was tempted with the 65" LG B6 when it reduced to £2474.
    So glad I went and took some my own files to play on it and didn't just buy from the LG demo mode used in all the stores.

My files that are crystal clear on my plasma looked awful on the OLED.
    Even though the QLED wasn't on my radar I agreed with the salesman to give that a shot which was just as bad or maybe slightly worse.
    To say I was disappointed was an understatement as I was geared up to take home a new toy !!

In my case I have now decided to wait until more 4K content is available as my old plasma still out performs all the latest high end sets from LG, Panasonic and Samsung in image quality up to 1080p.

aabs

I was tempted with the 65" LG B6 when it reduced to £2474.So glad I went … I was tempted with the 65" LG B6 when it reduced to £2474.So glad I went and took some my own files to play on it and didn't just buy from the LG demo mode used in all the stores.My files that are crystal clear on my plasma looked awful on the OLED. ....

The excellent Panasonic plasma screens (which from 2011 onwards are some of the best screens anywhere) are unlikely to out perform the LG 2016 OLED series or Samsung KS8000 upwards or the Panasonic DX900 although they may match them in some areas. Check the test reviews for objective colour, lumunance and contrast ratio as opposed to our perception based on our sources in an uncontrolled environment.

OLED done right is inherently better in terms of black levels and contrast ratio. HDR done right, as in the screens mentioned above, is unmatched in terms of colour depth. 4K however, is a little over rated.

Saying all that, the Panasonic plasmas are excellent!
    Edited by: "Enet" 30th Jan
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a luxury five-star break for two in Paris with Le Bristol Paris and Eur…56
      2. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon11
      3. Tv choice magazine Issue 391111
      4. win a hamper - orbit homes - kent commuter mag88

See more discussions