Should I cancel this eBay sale or not?

Found 21st MarEdited by:"Mr_Messenger_2"

I listed an item for sale and someone bought it. However, I've just tested the item and it's now stopped working. I've refunded the buyer's PayPal payment, directly through the PayPal site, and sent an email apology.

He's OK with this. But if I officially Cancel the order on EBay, then this will count as a Defect on my Seller's Account. So what happens if I just do nothing now? Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
If you do nothing you'll still pay the final value fee.
Sure. But the thing is, it was on one of their £1 offers, so I'd rather accept the loss rather than cancel and get a Default mark on my Seller's Account.

I just don't know what happens if I just do nothing now.
Mr_Messenger_23 m ago

Sure. But the thing is, it was on one of their £1 offers, so I'd rather …Sure. But the thing is, it was on one of their £1 offers, so I'd rather accept the loss rather than cancel and get a Default mark on my Seller's Account. I just don't know what happens if I just do nothing now.

Nothing, if the buyer is happy to leave it at a refund then nothing will come of it. They could still leave feedback even if you cancel so don't worry about it.
CS told me the only time you get a defect is if you put out of stock. Problem with address is fine no defect so put that instead or just leave it at £1 which I did on one item.
Yes, there are 3 options on Reason for Cancellation; Address Problem, Buyer Requested Cancellation or Item Out of Stock.

Only the last one gives you a Defect. Although I think on the other two the Buyer is sent an email by eBay asking for their agreement. If they can't be bothered to reply then this might be a problem.

As far as I can tell, if I just leave it, nothing will happen at all, except for the £1 fee.
Mr_Messenger_24 h, 39 m ago

Yes, there are 3 options on Reason for Cancellation; Address Problem, …Yes, there are 3 options on Reason for Cancellation; Address Problem, Buyer Requested Cancellation or Item Out of Stock. Only the last one gives you a Defect. Although I think on the other two the Buyer is sent an email by eBay asking for their agreement. If they can't be bothered to reply then this might be a problem. As far as I can tell, if I just leave it, nothing will happen at all, except for the £1 fee.

As you've already refunded the PayPal payment, the notification will show in ebay in the next few days and you'll get an out of stock defect unless you quickly cancel for one of the first two reasons.

Next time, cancel and refund through the cancellation.

If you leave it you'll get a defect for out of stock by default as you refunded without telling ebay why.
windym11 h, 52 m ago

As you've already refunded the PayPal payment, the notification will show …As you've already refunded the PayPal payment, the notification will show in ebay in the next few days and you'll get an out of stock defect unless you quickly cancel for one of the first two reasons. Next time, cancel and refund through the cancellation.If you leave it you'll get a defect for out of stock by default as you refunded without telling ebay why.

Ah, OK. Do you know if this is written anywhere on ebay's website?
Mr_Messenger_210 h, 43 m ago

Ah, OK. Do you know if this is written anywhere on ebay's website?

You need to check your extended dashboard - you can do this by typing "Using your seller dashboard" in the help box.

sellerstandards.ebay.co.uk/das…ard

Then click on "see monthly breakdown". Your evaluation date is 20th of each month, depending on when eBay were notified of the refund you might fall into this month (21st onwards) or the month after (21st April).

The two reasons you get a defect are:

Sellers are expected to create great experiences for buyers. If a buyer has a negative experience with a transaction, it can result in a defect for the seller. The following count as defects:

• Seller-cancelled transactions (you no longer have the item, or chose not to post it)
  • Cases closed without seller resolution (after eBay steps in to help, and the seller is found responsible)

You obviously chose not to post the item (with a valid reason, but eBay don't care about that). Next time, either cancel or mark it as send and wait for the buyer to open an INR case (then refund before day 8 of the case). You don't get a defect and the buyer assumes it was lost in the post. Not ideal but it prevents you having a defect.
windym46 m ago

You need to check your extended dashboard - you can do this by typing …You need to check your extended dashboard - you can do this by typing "Using your seller dashboard" in the help box. https://sellerstandards.ebay.co.uk/dashboardThen click on "see monthly breakdown". Your evaluation date is 20th of each month, depending on when eBay were notified of the refund you might fall into this month (21st onwards) or the month after (21st April). The two reasons you get a defect are:Sellers are expected to create great experiences for buyers. If a buyer has a negative experience with a transaction, it can result in a defect for the seller. The following count as defects:Seller-cancelled transactions (you no longer have the item, or chose not to post it)Cases closed without seller resolution (after eBay steps in to help, and the seller is found responsible) You obviously chose not to post the item (with a valid reason, but eBay don't care about that). Next time, either cancel or mark it as send and wait for the buyer to open an INR case (then refund before day 8 of the case). You don't get a defect and the buyer assumes it was lost in the post. Not ideal but it prevents you having a defect.

Thanks. I cancelled it this morning, putting Seller Requested Cancellation. He's already had his refund, so hopefully he will just click on Agree, and that'll be the end of it. I'll find out in the coming few weeks if any Defect has been put on my account.

Some people have had success in getting these removed, but apparently it can be difficult.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants