Groups

should i get a 1050ti or a 2nd hand card for same amount?

So I have about £150 to spend and really want a graphics card to go with my work comp, purely for bf1 and for my son to learn a bit of programming. Should I go for the 1050ti or perhaps a more powerful but 2nd hand card? If so which one? I would need to buy a new PSU though, not with the 1050 though as its only 75w, but don't take the PSU into account.

8 Comments

A 970 would a good alternative.

Well it would either be a 1050ti or a second hand 970... 970 is better but If I was buying now I would likely go for the 1050ti.

Second hand 970 would better but if you want new then maby wait till Black Friday and you might be able to get a 3gb 480 for around this price

The problem with 2nd hand GFX is that you dont know if they have been heavily over-clocked. I bought a 2nd hand ASUS R9 card through Amazon 3 years ago and had no end of issues with it; it turned out the RAM had been damaged by over clocking, but by the time the diagnosis was confirmed it was outside the returns window, so I had paid nearly £200 for a lump of useless metal and plastic.

Ditto 2nd hand cpu's, although if they are cheap enough it is worth the risk; I picked up a middle of the road Core2 for 99p - works perfectly (I have a £9 Xeon cpu on order right now!)

Original Poster

Hey cheers guys. I will wait to see what's on offer on black Friday (tomorrow) and yeah think I will go for a 2nd hand GPU or warehouse 480, 1060 or 970 and a psu gonna need to sell the ps4

deadleg22

Hey cheers guys. I will wait to see what's on offer on black Friday … Hey cheers guys. I will wait to see what's on offer on black Friday (tomorrow) and yeah think I will go for a 2nd hand GPU or warehouse 480, 1060 or 970 and a psu gonna need to sell the ps4

Tomorrow is NOT Black Friday - it is Friday 25th. It's the day after thanksgiving in the USA, which is the 4th Thursday in November. It IS ridiculous that the Black Friday sales have already started, particularly as it didn't even exist as an event in the UK 10 years ago!

Original Poster

Spod

Tomorrow is NOT Black Friday - it is Friday 25th. It's the day after … Tomorrow is NOT Black Friday - it is Friday 25th. It's the day after thanksgiving in the USA, which is the 4th Thursday in November. It IS ridiculous that the Black Friday sales have already started, particularly as it didn't even exist as an event in the UK 10 years ago!

Well so it is! just heard someone mentioning it in passing. damn I have trigger fingers right now

Amazon Warehouse have an R9 390X - which has very similar performance to the 1060 for £193 and qualifies for £50 off if you spend at least £200.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00ZU47HAW/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2OAJ7377F756P

You just need to find another qualifying item for at least £7 - for example the following
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hypertec-Hyperam-PC2-4200-Non-ECC-240-pin/dp/B0052559T0/ref=sr_1_3?m=A2OAJ7377F756P&s=warehouse-deals&ie=UTF8&qid=1479398900&sr=1-3

That would be a net price of £150 and would give much better performance than a 1050Ti

On this single benchmark for Battlefield 1 the frames per second (higher is better) on each card is as follows:
    GTX 1050 Ti - 58
    GTX 970 - 85
    GTX 1060 - 87
    R9 390X - 99

So the 390X (on this benchmark at least) is 70% faster than a 1050 Ti and 15% faster than a GTX 970.
    Plus you get Amazon's 12 month guarantee - although with Warehouse items if it breaks within 12 months you get a refund and not a replacement or repair.

guru3d.com/art…tml
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Best tablet for 100-150? Quid11
      2. Glazing Clay Pots for Drinking22
      3. How are Very for pre-orders ?33
      4. Furniture Sliders45

See more discussions