Should i get an Earthed or Non earthed EU 2-Pin to UK 3-Pin Mains converter?

Posted 30th Dec 2019
Any sparkies know the answer to this..

Bought a landline telephone set from Europe and it's come with a 2 Pin shaver style plug.

When buying a converter, I noticed you can get Earthed/Non Earthed Europe to UK converters. Which one should I get?

The Earthed ones have a Metal prong, the non-earthed has a plastic one.

Any ideas? Would the earthed one serve any purpose if the item is a 2 pin Shaver style plug?
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
I'd always get earthed. You dont know how it may be used in future.
Absolutely no point buying earthed. Whichever you chose to buy the phone will still remain unearthed.
For what you are using it for an earth isn't needed but if you need to use the adaptor for something else in the future get an earthed one. Poundland had some decent quality fused 'Visitor' adaptors , the one I got was Status branded .
If it’s something you’re only or primarily going to use in the uk - I prefer to use the adapters which are secured with a screw, especially if it’s going to be plugged in permanently.They only work with eu (shaver style) plugs though not wall chargers etc.

For example (but probably cheaper elsewhere):

uk.farnell.com/pow…795
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 30th Dec 2019
captainbeaky30/12/2019 15:55

If it’s something you’re only or primarily going to use in the uk - I pre …If it’s something you’re only or primarily going to use in the uk - I prefer to use the adapters which are secured with a screw, especially if it’s going to be plugged in permanently.They only work with eu (shaver style) plugs though not wall chargers etc.For example (but probably cheaper elsewhere):https://uk.farnell.com/powerconnections/cp1b-black/plug-converter-euro-quickfit-black/dp/1278795?gclid=CjwKCAiA3abwBRBqEiwAKwICA0Uk36TBX8tgJwIGuIb8bREif-ONXfAeJm_UpuVaSZI-zVxx1l3XmBoC7_AQAvD_BwE&gross_price=true&mckv=loIkUxIS_dc%7Cpcrid%7C78108376509%7C&CMP=KNC-GUK-GEN-SHOPPING-1278795

Like you said, the Quickfit ones could be dangerous as the plug could easily be knocked and pop out/spark

Thanks everyone for the replies, will try and get one with a screw top fitting, only problem is my adaptor is one of 90 degree block adaptors with the euro 2 pin like an L shape.
Edited by: "Sharpharp" 30th Dec 2019
Are you likely to return it if it developed a fault?

If not, I'd cut the supplied plug off and put wire into 3pin UK plug top.
andynicol30/12/2019 17:29

Are you likely to return it if it developed a fault?If not, I'd cut the …Are you likely to return it if it developed a fault?If not, I'd cut the supplied plug off and put wire into 3pin UK plug top.

Why bother? It makes no difference. The phone will still be unearthed, pretty much like all plastic phones bought & sold in the UK. They do not need earth, they have solid covers that are not metal & you would have to smash it to bits to get a shock risk.
andynicol30/12/2019 17:29

Are you likely to return it if it developed a fault?If not, I'd cut the …Are you likely to return it if it developed a fault?If not, I'd cut the supplied plug off and put wire into 3pin UK plug top.

By 'block adapter' I'm guessing he's talking about a plug with a built in transformer so that wouldn't work.

You might be able to replace it with a transformer with a UK or interchangeable power lead if the phone has a standard power connector and isn't unusual in it's voltage etc. requirements.
Willy_Wonka30/12/2019 17:36

Why bother? It makes no difference. The phone will still be unearthed, …Why bother? It makes no difference. The phone will still be unearthed, pretty much like all plastic phones bought & sold in the UK. They do not need earth, they have solid covers that are not metal & you would have to smash it to bits to get a shock risk.

Why Bother?

Because most homes have spare UK plug tops kicking about in the man drawer or box of electrical bits and bobs which normally never see the light of day, if so, it would save the OP having to buy an adaptor......
EndlessWaves30/12/2019 17:39

By 'block adapter' I'm guessing he's talking about a plug with a built in …By 'block adapter' I'm guessing he's talking about a plug with a built in transformer so that wouldn't work. You might be able to replace it with a transformer with a UK or interchangeable power lead if the phone has a standard power connector and isn't unusual in it's voltage etc. requirements.

I thought the OP was meaning ;

39541600-VFPQ9.jpg
andynicol30/12/2019 17:49

Why Bother?Because most homes have spare UK plug tops kicking about in the …Why Bother?Because most homes have spare UK plug tops kicking about in the man drawer or box of electrical bits and bobs which normally never see the light of day, if so, it would save the OP having to buy an adaptor......

Buying an adaptor for 90 pennies? Or stripping down wiring & attaching a 3 pin plug?

I am a lazy person & stripping down wires has its own risks with the clumsy people out there. Most of them wouldn't even know what fuse to put in the plug.
I have loads of EU plugs that I have to use UK adapters for. It does not matter, you can get this:
39541959.jpgIn EU you do not have earthing on a plug but on a socket, so plugs are either two pin or two pin+hole. This is EU plug with earthing (some sockets do not have earthing and just take slim 2pin like 2nd pic)
39541959.jpg
Edited by: "Larlen" 30th Dec 2019
Willy_Wonka30/12/2019 18:18

Buying an adaptor for 90 pennies? Or stripping down wiring & attaching a 3 …Buying an adaptor for 90 pennies? Or stripping down wiring & attaching a 3 pin plug?I am a lazy person & stripping down wires has its own risks with the clumsy people out there. Most of them wouldn't even know what fuse to put in the plug.

Merely giving the OP another option, maybe they would like to sort it themselves rather than wait for an adaptor....(highfive)
andynicol30/12/2019 19:01

Merely giving the OP another option, maybe they would like to sort it …Merely giving the OP another option, maybe they would like to sort it themselves rather than wait for an adaptor....(highfive)

HIgh five to you too. Mine is just an opinion. Happy New Year.
Edited by: "Willy_Wonka" 30th Dec 2019
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions