Groups

Should i go for a blu ray player, is there much difference?

hmv.com/hmv…374

Tempted to go for the samsung blu ray player but as a girl who doesn't know much about all the 1080p etc will i notice much difference between that and a dvd player?

20 Comments

If you watch a lot of movies then I'd definitely go for one. It depends on what you're watching but the difference in quality on a lot of the Sony / Disney titles for example is huge.

But don't go for the one from HMV - that package is £20 cheaper at Blockbuster :thumbsup:

blockbuster.co.uk/pro…htm

Original Poster

Wow, thanks, just saved me £20 if i'm tempted

Also can you play normal dvds on a blu ray player?

yep you sure can!!!!!

bluray is very good, especially if you have a stinkingly good telly.

make sure you dont skimp on the cables though, you need good hdmi leads, be warned they can be veeeeery pricey!!!

markhodges1975;8746437

make sure you dont skimp on the cables though, you need good hdmi leads, … make sure you dont skimp on the cables though, you need good hdmi leads, be warned they can be veeeeery pricey!!!

Ignore this.

dcx_badass;8746445

What a load of rubbish, all HDMI leads arethe same, ignore this … What a load of rubbish, all HDMI leads arethe same, ignore this fool.Anyway, I don't think blu ray is worth it, imo not a noticable difference from a good upscaling dvd player.

chester123;8746449

Ignore this.

It's okay, I bet he works in Currys / Comet :lol:

don't need to spend too much for a good HDMI cable, I wouldn't buy the 50p stuff in Tesco, but you can get a decent one under £10.00

for OP Blu-Ray defo much better than DVD, huge difference, I use the very first version of the Japanese PS3 to play my DVD's, abt 5yrs old now and that is still massively better any DVD now, obviously you need a good TV to go with it too :thumbsup:

dcx_badass;8746445

What a load of rubbish, all HDMI leads arethe same, ignore this … What a load of rubbish, all HDMI leads arethe same, ignore this fool.Anyway, I don't think blu ray is worth it, imo not a noticable difference from a good upscaling dvd player.

"good upscaling" dvd player, what a load of crap, lmao!!! :-D

Original Poster

ok thks guys

let the blu ray vs DVD war commence...

I love blu rays, but I watch a lot of films,

in some films the difference is not that much but in others its huge, make sure you read reviews on the blu rays your thinking of purchasing.

:thumbsup:

dcx_badass;8746494

Sure if you pause it and compare you can see a difference, but with a … Sure if you pause it and compare you can see a difference, but with a good upscaling player and a blu ray whilst watching them live you really can't tell.

depends on the film mate..

some transfers are better than others.

dcx_badass;8746494

Sure if you pause it and compare you can see a difference, but with a … Sure if you pause it and compare you can see a difference, but with a good upscaling player and a blu ray whilst watching them live you really can't tell.

Utter rubbish.

You clearly need glasses.

dre1988;8746506

let the blu ray vs DVD war commence...I love blu rays, but I watch a lot … let the blu ray vs DVD war commence...I love blu rays, but I watch a lot of films, in some films the difference is not that much but in others its huge, make sure you read reviews on the blu rays your thinking of purchasing.:thumbsup:

Irrespective of the transfer the blu ray version of any film will be superior to the dvd equivalent.

imo dont bother,theirs a reason Blu-Ray hasnt caught on, the picture improvement isn't worth the expense unless your a massive movie fan with a big telly:-D

I have both a blue-ray player and an upscaler, happy to watch movies on both, upscaling is much better than standard DVD on a good telly, and you're hard pushed most of the time to tell the difference.

dcx_badass;8746494

seriously dude, you need to understand to get best out of a blu-ray movie you need to firstly watch with your eyes open and ideally it would work best to use a HD TV :whistling:

Maybe you should wait to buy a ps3 if you like video games at all.

markhodges1975;8746437

make sure you dont skimp on the cables though, you need good hdmi leads

:prop:

quizmaniac;8746557

imo dont bother,theirs a reason Blu-Ray hasnt caught on, the picture … imo dont bother,theirs a reason Blu-Ray hasnt caught on, the picture improvement isn't worth the expense unless your a massive movie fan with a big telly:-D

blu ray hasnt caught on? :whistling:

Still unsure about venturing into BR.

I've often considered buying a player but came to the realisation that my viewing habits have changed. I rarely use my DVD player anymore as I prefer content on demand. It would be nice to have some of my favourite films in 1080p but I have a reluctance to replace/upgrade my existing library.

Hmm...

I believe I get the top titles from Lovefilm quicker because I order them in Blu Ray..I may of course be wrong.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. How dangerous is Donald trump?32177
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764369
      3. Deleting chats on Facebook Messenger89
      4. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846232

See more discussions