Should I go for Vehicle Inspection? Is it worth?

Found 29th Sep 2017
Hi All,

I am first time driver and I have zero knowledge of car parts and used vehicle checks.

I am looking to buy a used automatic toyota yaris (2012) but I am not sure if I should buy AA vehicle inspection? I trust hukd community so thought to get an unbiased view.

Should I go for AA inspection? Or some other company you recommend?

If you think, I shouldn't go for vehicle inspection before I buy used vehicle, then can you suggest me what questions I can ask the seller before I view the car? What checks I can do myself when I view the car?

Look forward to hear from you guys soon.

Regards
Community Updates
Ask
21 Comments
where you are buying from in the first place
Probably depends where you are buying it from. If its a Toyota main dealer, no. If it's a small dealer or private, you almost certainly want a technical view. Do you know anyone who maintains their own car or is a mechanic that you could take along? If not then go with the AA inspection. Better to spend £150 on an inspection than buy a lemon for a few grand.
I managed to find a mechanic from local garage that came and inspected thoroughly, test drove the car, spend 40/50 mins checking everything and charged £65. Try local check on google,
How much are you paying because keep in mind you can get a brand new Dacia for £5995 otr, with a 3 year warranty and break down cover plus no MOT for 3 years. The warranty with a used car is useless, most used car warranty's require you to pay for the repair first and then claim against your warranty, at which point most will say that was not covered.

32129439-jU08l.jpg
Edited by: "SOUTHWALES" 29th Sep 2017
If you buy anywhere except from a main Toyota dealer then get the inspection done, because if there is anything found to be wrong at a later time you have a bona fide organisation to get a remedy from.
Original Poster
mattsk2 h, 28 m ago

where you are buying from in the first place

Looking to buy from a private person.
Original Poster
Ar460rn2 h, 26 m ago

Probably depends where you are buying it from. If its a Toyota main …Probably depends where you are buying it from. If its a Toyota main dealer, no. If it's a small dealer or private, you almost certainly want a technical view. Do you know anyone who maintains their own car or is a mechanic that you could take along? If not then go with the AA inspection. Better to spend £150 on an inspection than buy a lemon for a few grand.

No, not toyota mail dealer. Just a advert on gumtree. Gumtree does HPI check for £10...i dont know anyone....thats why i wasnt sure.....which AA package would you recomend?
Original Poster
Sandy10122 h, 12 m ago

I managed to find a mechanic from local garage that came and inspected …I managed to find a mechanic from local garage that came and inspected thoroughly, test drove the car, spend 40/50 mins checking everything and charged £65. Try local check on google,

I like your idea.....i will search. But what did you tell to your local garage guy? Did you just say vehicle inspection or some specific terminology to explain?
Original Poster
POWYSWALES1 h, 45 m ago

How much are you paying because keep in mind you can get a brand new Dacia …How much are you paying because keep in mind you can get a brand new Dacia for £5995 otr, with a 3 year warranty and break down cover plus no MOT for 3 years. The warranty with a used car is useless, most used car warranty's require you to pay for the repair first and then claim against your warranty, at which point most will say that was not covered.[Image]

I might get it under £4000...so may be dacia is not for me as i am looking for automatic, with 1.4 litre engine. Reverse camera and.low road tax
Original Poster
st8mike1 h, 44 m ago

If you buy anywhere except from a main Toyota dealer then get the …If you buy anywhere except from a main Toyota dealer then get the inspection done, because if there is anything found to be wrong at a later time you have a bona fide organisation to get a remedy from.

Which inspection would you recomend? There are many different packages......and for someone very new its very difficult to choose one package.
FYI - it pays to buy from a dealer now a days, because under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 dealers have to give a full refund if a defect is found in the first 30 days. If a defect is found after 30 days but within six months they are entitled to offer a repair or replacement. However, dealers will only have one chance at repair or a replacement.
Original Poster
4Real201639 m ago

FYI - it pays to buy from a dealer now a days, because under the Consumer …FYI - it pays to buy from a dealer now a days, because under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 dealers have to give a full refund if a defect is found in the first 30 days. If a defect is found after 30 days but within six months they are entitled to offer a repair or replacement. However, dealers will only have one chance at repair or a replacement.

But dealers really sell the car at a very high price...:(. Otherwise would had purchased it from them....for example the car that I can get it for £4000, they will sell at £5400
ab71318 m ago

But dealers really sell the car at a very high price...:(. Otherwise would …But dealers really sell the car at a very high price...:(. Otherwise would had purchased it from them....for example the car that I can get it for £4000, they will sell at £5400

Hmmmm

Just checked autotrader for Toyota Yaris 2012 and there are plenty of dealers selling for a lot less than £5400.

In any case you never pay the asking price

Edit: Ignore what I just said, why is the price of an automatic so much higher than manual for this model ?
Edited by: "4Real2016" 29th Sep 2017
4Real20168 m ago

HmmmmJust checked autotrader for Toyota Yaris 2012 and there are plenty of …HmmmmJust checked autotrader for Toyota Yaris 2012 and there are plenty of dealers selling for a lot less than £5400.In any case you never pay the asking price Edit: Ignore what I just said, why is the price of an automatic so much higher than manual for this model ?

Because you pay extra for being lazy or incapable of learning to drive like everyone else
Original Poster
mattsk49 m ago

Because you pay extra for being lazy or incapable of learning to drive …Because you pay extra for being lazy or incapable of learning to drive like everyone else

Automatic car doesnt makes me lazy...or incapable. Manual cars are too old technology. We are in hybrid and electric vehicle generation
Edited by: "ab713" 29th Sep 2017
Have a look on honest johns here: -
google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=honestjohn.co.uk/&am…hGE

And yes to AA inspection, saved me problems and was able to get the price down a bit more and 2x faults fixed
Good luck.
Original Poster
jjaack21 h, 19 m ago

Have a look on honest johns here: - …Have a look on honest johns here: - https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/&ved=0ahUKEwjP6ZiUrs3WAhXHKlAKHSg0ArIQFggeMAA&usg=AOvVaw0tkXbhSfWOPy_qUdQjWhGEAnd yes to AA inspection, saved me problems and was able to get the price down a bit more and 2x faults fixed Good luck.

Which AA inspection package did you go for? Did u choose basic or the premium?
Long time ago, It was a while back but I think it was a full report. I don't think there was a choice!
ab71329th Sep

Looking to buy from a private person.

@OP

Did you buy the car

Can you share your experience, I am in the same boat.

Have to get a new use car and don't know where to start.

Probably cargiant.

What do you guys suggest, sorry for hijacking the thread a bit
Bump@ OP
Original Poster
rambobambo3rd Oct

@OPDid you buy the carCan you share your experience, I am in the same …@OPDid you buy the carCan you share your experience, I am in the same boat.Have to get a new use car and don't know where to start.Probably cargiant.What do you guys suggest, sorry for hijacking the thread a bit

I usually look in Gumtree, autotrader and eBay. I never select "trade". I always filter my search and select "private" as seller type. Usually the trader sell it for more money.

If anyone reading this thread, has a Toyota yaris-2012 automatic...then please let me know. I am interested to buy it.
Edited by: "ab713" 6th Oct 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants