Should I go to npower or EDF?

Found 17th Mar 2017
With Eon at the moment and can change to one fixed until April 18 - I have confused myself now, anyone with npower or EDF that can tell me if they are reliable?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
17 Comments

dunno, I moved from npower to edf

NPower are giving £70 via TCB for any dual fuel switch and the one year fix is quite competitive . I have been with First Utility for 3 years now ( with no issues) and they are always amongst the cheapest. I can't get it as a current customer but they are giving £50 cashback through TCB for a 1 year fix, which will work out cheaper overall than NPower. Have done the comparisons and EDF and Eon aren't in the same ballpark as those two . IRESA comes up cheapest of all but they are a very new company with no track record .

Go on a switching site to check all the companies prices for you , pick 2 or3 then clear the switch sites cookies (they only give £30 cashback) and go to First Utility or NPower or whoever through TCB to get your cashback (£50 -£70) .

Edited by: "rogparki" 17th Mar 2017

Go to Coop Energy. They are cheaper and definitely more ethical.
For example when energy prices were low EDF used to promise to automatically tell you when you were on a higher price plan than other suppliers. Now that prices are higher, they removed this feature.
And npower has been known to have its subsidiaries loan money to each other to avoid tax.
Edited by: "dush_yant" 17th Mar 2017

First utility are brill

If your current supplier has offered a fixed rate I would run like hell out the door. Only they know which way their prices are heading in the future.

When looking for a supplier you need to determine how you use your energy. The are two parts to the bill - standing charge and usage charge. If you use a lot it's often better to take the higher standing charge that gets you the lowest usage rate. If you use little a lower SG and higher UR may be best. Look at you last bills.

Also if you want a fixed rate it's often better to go for an offer that's about to end. That way you get the rate before the general rate goes up. A lot of companies are putting bills up at the moment find one that hasn't yet and you'll find they offer the best fixed rate normally.

I use Flow & Iresa

dush_yant

Go to Coop Energy. They are cheaper and definitely more ethical.For … Go to Coop Energy. They are cheaper and definitely more ethical.For example when energy prices were low EDF used to promise to automatically tell you when you were on a higher price plan than other suppliers. Now that prices are higher, they removed this feature.And npower has been known to have its subsidiaries loan money to each other to avoid tax.

coop days of being ethical are long gone, just google what they have been up to for the last few years.

Just go with the cheapest Op they are all as bad as each other, just because someone says they are the cheapest for them does not mean they are the cheapest for you.

Reliable in terms of what? Are you worried about blackouts?

eslick

coop days of being ethical are long gone, just google what they have been … coop days of being ethical are long gone, just google what they have been up to for the last few years.Just go with the cheapest Op they are all as bad as each other, just because someone says they are the cheapest for them does not mean they are the cheapest for you.

You are talking about The Co-op Group which is just one of the many coops in the UK. Coop Energy is from the Mid-counties Cooperative and has nothing to do with the one you are referring to.

Try Ebico

Why those greedy suppliers? Use one of the switching websites which show you who has the cheapest tariff.

Do gas and electricity prices vary across the country?

Nshizzle

Do gas and electricity prices vary across the country?

Very slightly , but not to a major extent , maybe 1%.

PulisOut

If your current supplier has offered a fixed rate I would run like hell … If your current supplier has offered a fixed rate I would run like hell out the door. Only they know which way their prices are heading in the future.When looking for a supplier you need to determine how you use your energy. The are two parts to the bill - standing charge and usage charge. If you use a lot it's often better to take the higher standing charge that gets you the lowest usage rate. If you use little a lower SG and higher UR may be best. Look at you last bills.Also if you want a fixed rate it's often better to go for an offer that's about to end. That way you get the rate before the general rate goes up. A lot of companies are putting bills up at the moment find one that hasn't yet and you'll find they offer the best fixed rate normally.I use Flow & Iresa

That's why you should go on a switch site and put in your usage . I'm pretty good with my sums but trying to work out x days standing charge, +y kwh of gas, + z kwh of electricity is a nightmare oO . The switch sites have it all calculared for you . The best figure to use is your last years annual consumption in kwh (which is on your latest bill ) as it rounds out the seasonal variations . If you use the last 3 months consumption it will be high as those are the winter months .

If you want peace of mind for a few years The NPower 4 year fix and the First Utility 3 year fix are the best for me at the moment (a low to medium user , £65 per month at the moment till end of April ) . A one year fix with either company from May will be about £72-£75 a month , the long fixes are about £80 .

Of course your actual bills may vary ,the DD amount is just a guide , a really cold winter could make your usage more ,equally a warm winter could reduce them .

The big question for me (I'll decide next month) is are energy prices going to rise by more than 10% over the next 3 years ?

rogparki

That's why you should go on a switch site and put in your usage . I'm … That's why you should go on a switch site and put in your usage . I'm pretty good with my sums but trying to work out x days standing charge, +y kwh of gas, + z kwh of electricity is a nightmare oO . The switch sites have it all calculared for you . The best figure to use is your last years annual consumption in kwh (which is on your latest bill ) as it rounds out the seasonal variations . If you use the last 3 months consumption and it will be high as those are the winter months . If you want peace of mind for a few years The NPower 4 year fix and the First Utility 3 year fix are the best for me at the moment (a low to medium user , £65 per month at the moment till end of April ) . A one year fix with either company from May will be about £72-£75 a month , the long fixes are about £80 . Of course your actual bills may vary ,the DD amount is just a guide , a really cold winter could make your usage more ,equally a warm winter could reduce them . The big question for me (I'll decide next month) is are energy prices going to rise by more than 10% over the next 3 years ?

I don't trust the comparison sites, Last 3 years I've always found cheaper then they have stated any comparison site. I've cut our energy costs by 25% in that time.

PulisOut

I don't trust the comparison sites, Last 3 years I've always found … I don't trust the comparison sites, Last 3 years I've always found cheaper then they have stated any comparison site. I've cut our energy costs by 25% in that time.

The projected monthly cost is normally higher than you actually use . I don't mind as I am comfortable with having my account always in credit , remember you only pay for what you use ,the monthly payment is in effect an estimate which is normally adjusted every 6 months .

My big bugbear with energy companies (and indeed the switch sites ) is "save 10%", "save £200" etc . This is a saving on the suppliers "variable rate " which this year is 10%- 15% dearer than the 1 year fix rate in all cases I have looked at.

Fine for those of us who can pick our suppliers cheapest tariff or switch , but no fun for those on prepayment meters who can only have the "variable" (rip off) tariff ! Also applies to old folk who maybe aren't internet savvy - I'll bet there are thousands of households in the country who are paying 10% - 20% over the odds for their energy simply because they are elderly , poor or ignorant of their opportunities to select their supplier and tariff -hence remaining on the rip off variable rate .

rogparki

Very slightly , but not to a major extent , maybe 1%.

Good to know, cheers for confirming least I know I'm not big ripped off living in London now! (Well in terms of energy anyway!)

Original Poster

Thanks everyone - that's clearer and I know what I'm looking for.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants