Should I join Virgin 108M for 24 pounds or go Now/Talk/Plus?

Posted 16th Aug
Virgin are offering 108M for 24 pounds with 50 pounds Amazon voucher and the offer ends today. Should I jump on it?

Currently I am using Smarty's unlimited sim but since the corona outbreak speeds have been dreadful during the day (2-10mbps).

As for Virgin, I am worried by the potential price hikes at any time and the fact that you still have to pay when moving to a place with no coverage. My alternatives are 66MB from Plus Net, Now or Talk Talk for a 25-26 pounds over 18 months. Would either of these give me better peace of mind? I don't care too much about the 40mbps difference.
Community Updates
10 Comments
NowBB's fastest product is £25 over 12m contract with £80 TCB cashback opportunity. Bit of a no-brainer if cost and flexibility of short(er) commitment are the driving factors.
AndyRoyd16/08/2020 18:01

NowBB's fastest product is £25 over 12m contract with £80 TCB cashback o …NowBB's fastest product is £25 over 12m contract with £80 TCB cashback opportunity. Bit of a no-brainer if cost and flexibility of short(er) commitment are the driving factors.

Is their speed guaranteed? I've seen that people on copper wires often don't get the advertised speeds especially in the busy hours. How's Virgin on that front?
It's up to you but you will have to go through the process of leaving VM every year to get a decent deal. Get's a bit boring after a while.
vimar16/08/2020 18:07

Is their speed guaranteed? I've seen that people on copper wires often …Is their speed guaranteed? I've seen that people on copper wires often don't get the advertised speeds especially in the busy hours. How's Virgin on that front?

Two factors affecting speed: distance from the exchange and contention. You know how far you are from exchange; contention is anybody's guess with any provider unless (typically) you choose a business product, where a business option would push you well beyond consumer pricing.
I’ve been with talk talk for years now and not really had any issues with connection...speed etc and just about to do my upgrade for another 18 months with them and always get a decent price for my upgrades when contract is coming to the end(y)
On copper myself to cab with vodaphone and get 70mb constant.
Was with VM for years and the speeds was dreadful at the end as my area become massively over utilised so was forced to leave after months of complaining and getting nowhere.
Was with BT for a while but the voda deals was good so took a punt and they been great so far.
Was with talktalk for over 10 years, but 3 years ago they wanted to charge me £10 a month more then new customers.
Would not give discounts for loyalty.
Customer service is hit and miss. It’s the same with all suppliers.
Now with plusnet and get 36mb most of the time.
If you can get on the virgin media forums search your post code and see if there have been any complaints of over utilisation recently.
At peaks times my speeds dropped to a few meg Netflix just wouldn’t work in the afternoons and I was on 100mb deal. A few other people local to me had same issues so worth checking.
It might not be an issue but their upload speeds are relatively low (average of 10mb on 108)
Finally, I ordered Now TV BB's offer through Quidco - here. Mainly it boiled down to: 1. the Virgin coax cable from the previous tenant is in a bad spot of the house, while the dsl line is perfect, 2. Virgin's reputation of awful customer service, 3. It came in cheaper with Quidco and the contract is only 12 months.

Thanks for the advice, especially to @AndyRoyd !
Post a comment
@
    Text