Expired

Should i pay my parking charge? *UKPC*

62 replies
Found 9th Mar 2013
Basically today I went out to go cinema at around 1 PM, I parked my car in the parking area at vue. When I got back to my car I had a parking charge on my window wiper from "UKPC".

I've just got home and have checked the parking charge and the "issue time" and "time first seen" init was the same it was 13:12 9-3-2013.

The funny thing was that the reason I got the ticket was for 'Vehicle owner/driver/ left site.

I've just had a look online and people have been given the same thing, is UKPC even a legit?

Really need help thanks for your time and effort.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
62 Comments

i got a fine from them ages ago and ignored it. never heard back.

Ignore, They may pester you with a few speculative invoices but that's it.

Original Poster

samwants2save

ettam123

http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/ukpc-1425568?page=4#post16781078

schongerau2443

Money Saving Expert Advice for parking charges

shauneco

Ignore, They may pester you with a few speculative invoices but that's it.

Thanks guys you sure it's fine to ignore it? I mean I did go across the road to look at some cars displayed and I think they also had a camera near where i parked?

samwants2save

ettam123

http://www.hotukdeals.com/misc/ukpc-1425568?page=4#post16781078

schongerau2443

Money Saving Expert Advice for parking charges

shauneco

Ignore, They may pester you with a few speculative invoices but that's … Ignore, They may pester you with a few speculative invoices but that's it.

100% sure, The most they do is threaten to take you to a small claims court, They never do though because it costs them too much and don't think they've won any etc..

a friend got one a few week ago phoned up an said she not paying charge.she payed an for an hour and got stuck in car park run 5 mins offered to pay for the 5 mins never got back to her an no more letters

i got one a while back and just wrote to them saying that another 3 people use my car and i know it wasn't me driving but couldn't be sure who was. i got a couple of letters after that but not heard a thing since.

http://www.enk.freeuk.com/autobio/parkingcert.jpg

great-deals

I was told at the time that a council can charge the owner/keeper of the car but a private company couldn't. That may not be correct but it worked when I wrote to them saying I hadn't parked the car there.

That's a link to advice for council issued tickets. This is the link to the page for tickets issued by private companies.

You're almost right. A parking ticket issued by a council will normally be in the form of a penalty charge notice (PCN). The private companies can use PCN but not the word penalty so instead they issue a parking charge notice. So it's not the word 'charge' that makes the difference but the word that precedes it.

I agree that a private parking charge is basically an invoice, however they can be pursued in the courts though someone has already mentioned that this doesn't happen often due to the cost.

BazZart

Money Saving Expert Advice for parking chargesThere is a big difference … Money Saving Expert Advice for parking chargesThere is a big difference between a parking FINE and a parking CHARGE apparently. I understand that a charge is like an invoice or a request for payment. The link has loads of information for you to read and is from MSE, so a reliable source.

great-deals

The law changed last October (at the time private clamping was banned) so now the registered keeper can legally be pursued.

oh that explains it then as my ticket was before then.

Original Poster

vics1712

I was told at the time that a council can charge the owner/keeper of the … I was told at the time that a council can charge the owner/keeper of the car but a private company couldn't. That may not be correct but it worked when I wrote to them saying I hadn't parked the car there.

what if theres a camera? near where you park? do you still have the pay UKPC or is it nothing worry about £40 is a lot of money,.

rocktoons28

what if theres a camera? near where you park? do you still have the pay … what if theres a camera? near where you park? do you still have the pay UKPC or is it nothing worry about £40 is a lot of money,.

Ignore it, I have had 2 of them and ignored them both, they are just chancers. At the end of the day all they can do is instruct a debt collection company to get money off you, which is also nothing to be worried about these days.

rocktoons28

what if theres a camera? near where you park? do you still have the pay … what if theres a camera? near where you park? do you still have the pay UKPC or is it nothing worry about £40 is a lot of money,.

The letter I got from them stated that there was a camera and that they had me on film leaving and returning to my car but I jst said it wasn't me. As someone else said though the law has recently changed.

Original Poster

vics1712

The letter I got from them stated that there was a camera and that they … The letter I got from them stated that there was a camera and that they had me on film leaving and returning to my car but I jst said it wasn't me. As someone else said though the law has recently changed.

So should i just pay for it?

rocktoons28

I would say no, do not pay. The law has changed making the registered keeper liable for the fine so that makes it easier for the private company to pursue someone. That person can't simply claim they didn't know who was driving anymore. However the company would still have to pass your fine to a debt recovery company/take you to court if you refuse to pay. Unlikely due to the cost incurred which is why I say don't bother paying.

It's up to you though! If you decide not to pay you will probably receive some threatening letters that will eventually stop.

Original Poster

knack

I would say no, do not pay. The law has changed making the registered … I would say no, do not pay. The law has changed making the registered keeper liable for the fine so that makes it easier for the private company to pursue someone. That person can't simply claim they didn't know who was driving anymore. However the company would still have to pass your fine to a debt recovery company/take you to court if you refuse to pay. Unlikely due to the cost incurred which is why I say don't bother paying. It's up to you though! If you decide not to pay you will probably receive some threatening letters that will eventually stop.

Alright cheers, do i get any points deducted to my licence? As I've only been deiving for 7months. Also I'am moving house this week so i dont mind about the threathening mails.

rocktoons28

I agree with knack, if I were you i'd just ignore any letters they send (they will send loads). If you want to be really cheeky you could write return to sender on the envelope and pop them back in the post, they will think you don't live at that address and the cost of tracking you down and chasing the money would'nt be worth it.
On the other hand, if you're the kind of person who would really worry about them chasing you for a few months and you can afford to pay £40 for peace of mind it might be worth paying before the fine doubles.

Original Poster

vics1712

I agree with knack, if I were you i'd just ignore any letters they send … I agree with knack, if I were you i'd just ignore any letters they send (they will send loads). If you want to be really cheeky you could write return to sender on the envelope and pop them back in the post, they will think you don't live at that address and the cost of tracking you down and chasing the money would'nt be worth it. On the other hand, if you're the kind of person who would really worry about them chasing you for a few months and you can afford to pay £40 for peace of mind it might be worth paying before the fine doubles.

Thanks might try that and yeah I'll probably just leave it for now. Was just worry about them deducting points on my license ^_^

rocktoons28

Thanks might try that and yeah I'll probably just leave it for now. Was … Thanks might try that and yeah I'll probably just leave it for now. Was just worry about them deducting points on my license ^_^

Parking tickets issued by a council or private company are non-endorsable so you wont get any points on your license.

rocktoons28

Thanks might try that and yeah I'll probably just leave it for now. Was … Thanks might try that and yeah I'll probably just leave it for now. Was just worry about them deducting points on my license ^_^

Oh don't worry about that, they can't ever take points from your licence.

Original Poster

Okay thanks a lot guys will probably just leave it for now and see what happens

Original Poster

Just got a letter today with the picture of my car and at the back it says 'Failure to pay will result in UK parking control LTD forwarding the outstanding amount to a debt recovery agency, at this point an additional charge of £60 will apply in accordance with the terms and condition of parking'

rocktoons28

Just got a letter today with the picture of my car and at the back it … Just got a letter today with the picture of my car and at the back it says 'Failure to pay will result in UK parking control LTD forwarding the outstanding amount to a debt recovery agency, at this point an additional charge of £60 will apply in accordance with the terms and condition of parking'

Not worth reading, Just bin it, That is usually the final one they will send, Don't worry.

i have a parking charge for £100 after leaving my car for 5 mins while i ran in to a shop to pick my disabled mother up. i never displayed the blue badge and parked in a disabled bay. i saw the warden taking a picture of my car and explained i was only picking my mum up...he procedded to laugh and said "can you not read....blue badge holders only" he slapped the ticket on my car and left my mum and i in tears. I said to him that he saw me go into the shop and come back out with my mum but he said the ticket was printed "suck it and weep"...the car park was a free car park with 12 empty diabled bays. my car has a vaild diasabled tax disc. should i pay....worried sick as i dont have 100.00 and niether does my mum .

Original Poster

SHAZGOLF

i have a parking charge for £100 after leaving my car for 5 mins while i … i have a parking charge for £100 after leaving my car for 5 mins while i ran in to a shop to pick my disabled mother up. i never displayed the blue badge and parked in a disabled bay. i saw the warden taking a picture of my car and explained i was only picking my mum up...he procedded to laugh and said "can you not read....blue badge holders only" he slapped the ticket on my car and left my mum and i in tears. I said to him that he saw me go into the shop and come back out with my mum but he said the ticket was printed "suck it and weep"...the car park was a free car park with 12 empty diabled bays. my car has a vaild diasabled tax disc. should i pay....worried sick as i dont have 100.00 and niether does my mum .

tbh i didn't pay for mine its been a year 1st 6 months they've been sending me a letter saying they will take me to court if i dont pay now or they would get depth collector to collect the money at my house. I just kept ignoring the letters and since then I havnt heard from then they even sent me a letter with my car on the picture lol

if it was a ukpc parking ticket then I think you shouldn't pay unless it was the police who ticketed you. Even if you write a complaint to them they will just ignore it anyway. If I were you i'd wait until they collect the money from your adress(which is unlikely to happen). If they want the money they can come get it lol

Hello, I have received many threatening letters from UKPC and now Debt Recovery Plus which haven't stopped yet and has been going on for 3-4 months. Before I was ignoring them as advised but newer posts on another site from 2014 are now saying that doesn't work as well and its best to send a stern abrupt letter to them which threatens harrasment etc. It is a very complex and very good letter template that has been provided which I have ready to send but I now don't know what to do - send the strongly worded letters or ignore? Any up to date advise would be greatly appreciated?
Thank you!

A2J5

Hello, I have received many threatening letters from UKPC and now Debt … Hello, I have received many threatening letters from UKPC and now Debt Recovery Plus which haven't stopped yet and has been going on for 3-4 months. Before I was ignoring them as advised but newer posts on another site from 2014 are now saying that doesn't work as well and its best to send a stern abrupt letter to them which threatens harrasment etc. It is a very complex and very good letter template that has been provided which I have ready to send but I now don't know what to do - send the strongly worded letters or ignore? Any up to date advise would be greatly appreciated?Thank you!

Dept Recovery Plus are the same sheep in different clothing, I'd bin it personally, However it seems that some are now actually being pursued according to some but certainly not all, The general advice now is to appeal, But might be too late for that.

SHAZGOLF

i have a parking charge for £100 after leaving my car for 5 mins while i … i have a parking charge for £100 after leaving my car for 5 mins while i ran in to a shop to pick my disabled mother up. i never displayed the blue badge and parked in a disabled bay...

Hi, just seen this due to the other bump.
Was this a Penalty Charge Notice issued by a council employee (proper parking warden) or a ticket from private parking attendant? If it is a proper PCN then you can't ignore it.
You need to write to the council explaining the circumstances and appeal against the PCN.
There are dedicated parking appeals sites out there, eg penaltychargenotice.co.uk/, but in general if your 'ticket' is from a council (PCN) or the Police you DO need to act on it.

Original Poster

I know this is old now but just wanted to update for those who gets any problem with UKPC in the future. I never paid the fine and the only thing they did was send me loads of letter through the post for the first 6 months saying that if I don't pay the fine it will double in price/they would send a dept collector and that they would take me to court.

Never happened. Just keep ignoring the letters and they will stop bothering after a couple of months.

My wife has just received a letter from UKPC telling her that a parking ticket issued on 4 Dec 2014 has not been paid and now she owes £100.

She claims she didn't see the parking ticket on the windscreen, but I've been on the website and checked the photos, and sure enough a parking ticket has been issued.

BUT...
the day in question is a Thursday, a normal working day. My wife leaves work at 15:30, and she is timed as arriving at 16:03 and departing at 16:21 (even though the letter says 16:19). Given that parking is free for several hours, I smell something untoward.

What are her options?
Ignore and hope it will go away?
Appeal? (or will that make it worse?)
Complain to the company?
Instruct a parking ticket appeals company (for £16, it seems worth it).

Original Poster

nuffznuff

My wife has just received a letter from UKPC telling her that a parking … My wife has just received a letter from UKPC telling her that a parking ticket issued on 4 Dec 2014 has not been paid and now she owes £100.She claims she didn't see the parking ticket on the windscreen, but I've been on the website and checked the photos, and sure enough a parking ticket has been issued.BUT...the day in question is a Thursday, a normal working day. My wife leaves work at 15:30, and she is timed as arriving at 16:03 and departing at 16:21 (even though the letter says 16:19). Given that parking is free for several hours, I smell something untoward. :(What are her options? Ignore and hope it will go away?Appeal? (or will that make it worse?)Complain to the company?Instruct a parking ticket appeals company (for £16, it seems worth it).

ignore it trust me they will just keep sending letters and say that they will send a dept collector or take you to court but it wont happen because it will cost them more money to send a debt collector or take you to court

Ignoring parking charges is not the right course of action anymore !

I would advise anyone who has received any type of PCC to visit the below link, read the newbies guide and send an appeal.

I recently had 2 PPC's cancelled thanks to the help of all the people on the forum.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=163

Again DO NOT IGNORE !!!

Hi,

After ignoring the fine i didn't hear anything back for a few weeks. I've just received a threatening letter with a photo of my car and talking of bailiffs and court etc. Should i ignore? I want to but it does sound pretty threatening!

Banned

Mattaoz

Hi,After ignoring the fine i didn't hear anything back for a few weeks. … Hi,After ignoring the fine i didn't hear anything back for a few weeks. I've just received a threatening letter with a photo of my car and talking of bailiffs and court etc. Should i ignore? I want to but it does sound pretty threatening!

I assume you didn't read the post above?

Original Poster

Mattaoz

Hi,After ignoring the fine i didn't hear anything back for a few weeks. … Hi,After ignoring the fine i didn't hear anything back for a few weeks. I've just received a threatening letter with a photo of my car and talking of bailiffs and court etc. Should i ignore? I want to but it does sound pretty threatening!

Hi bud ignore it they will keep sending it to you for a couple or weeks or month. I had the same letter witha pic of my car and saying they would send baylifts/take you to court. But to be honest they won't have money to do such thing. They will just keep sending you letter and if they really want the money they would contact you via phone etc

Before hand i also made a dispute like the post above and it does not work. i wouldn't listen to anyone else, they tried helping me too but the only thing that worked was by ignoring the letters.

Ah , good old ukpc
We had this at a b&q carpark near us
They have no way of enforcing the tickets
Ignore them for about 3 months then they wont bother
Do not make contact with them !
They will threaten debt collectors in hope you will contact them and bend over
How can they send a debt collector without going to court first and who do they take to court

I had charge yesterday from UKPC.
Now do I ignore completely or go through the appeal process because I wasn't parked illegally, or obstructed anything.
But it was on a Private road that required permit. However, NO Signs to state this anywhere not even on the units that occupy the road... Spitfire Road B24 9PR

Has anyone been to court or had debt collectors at the door for not paying?

If not I will trash it.

I can afford to pay, so its just principal to me.

Original Poster

Waynebo

I had charge yesterday from UKPC. Now do I ignore completely or go … I had charge yesterday from UKPC. Now do I ignore completely or go through the appeal process because I wasn't parked illegally, or obstructed anything. But it was on a Private road that required permit. However, NO Signs to state this anywhere not even on the units that occupy the road... Spitfire Road B24 9PRHas anyone been to court or had debt collectors at the door for not paying?If not I will trash it.I can afford to pay, so its just principal to me.

Nah jist ignore it, dont make contact with them/appeal they can't do anything it's a private company and because of they they would'nt want to court you/send debt collectors because they will lose more money. They will keep sending u letter for about 3 months but keep ignoring them.

Hope this helps

rocktoons28

I know this is old now but just wanted to update for those who gets any … I know this is old now but just wanted to update for those who gets any problem with UKPC in the future. I never paid the fine and the only thing they did was send me loads of letter through the post for the first 6 months saying that if I don't pay the fine it will double in price/they would send a dept collector and that they would take me to court. Never happened. Just keep ignoring the letters and they will stop bothering after a couple of months.

Why did you mark your own answer as the correct one when other people told you the same thing???

The first answer should be therefore marked as the correct answer.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions
  1. Topcashback Trick or Treat competition54495
  2. Free flights to Europe22
  3. Free Soap & Glory Bath Bomb (High Score)33
  4. Win an all-inclusive holiday to Antigua, including flights!33

See more discussions