Delete

Posted 30th MarEdited by:"MrHappyGilmore"
Community Updates
Ask
31 Comments
Woodchip wallpaper takes slightly longer to remove from walls...wallpaper steamer helps to remove.
Personally woodchip was outdated a long time ago and actually ends up using more paint when painting over it....even if you did remove it...you could easily smoothen walls if damaged and not too big a job...if you have time on your hands due to the lockdown...you could look at it like a project that will pass the boredom and some time(y)
Remove it. It’s the classic instant throwback to the 1970’s and no amount of paint or colour choice will disguise it. If it’s hiding an uneven wall then there are lots of new alternative modern wall papers out there. Added to that, apart from a coloured bathroom suite is one of the least desirable things noted by future buyers. Start stripping.
40227021-0oVkZ.jpg
definately remove it. you wont regret it. the room will.look more spacious with smooth walls. it may need a skimming... but worth the £
Mich8ll830/03/2020 10:39

Woodchip wallpaper takes slightly longer to remove from walls...wallpaper …Woodchip wallpaper takes slightly longer to remove from walls...wallpaper steamer helps to remove.Personally woodchip was outdated a long time ago and actually ends up using more paint when painting over it....even if you did remove it...you could easily smoothen walls if damaged and not too big a job...if you have time on your hands due to the lockdown...you could look at it like a project that will pass the boredom and some time(y)

Any safety to be concerned about while doing this job? Toxic dust etc?

I always find out i should not have done something after doing it
MrHappyGilmore30/03/2020 10:56

Any safety to be concerned about while doing this job? Toxic dust etc?I …Any safety to be concerned about while doing this job? Toxic dust etc?I always find out i should not have done something after doing it

Are we talking about marriage now?
Deborah?
MrHappyGilmore30/03/2020 10:56

Any safety to be concerned about while doing this job? Toxic dust etc?I …Any safety to be concerned about while doing this job? Toxic dust etc?I always find out i should not have done something after doing it

No...I’ve removed woodchip in the past...just extra strength needed for removing it...good luck(y)
I had it all over when we moved in, came off easy with steamer and scraper.. still have it on the stairs, but that’s the only place. Thinking of leaving it there now it will be fashionable again in a year or 2...
Another question is some of the walls look to have screw plugs in which are not flush to the surface . There is no way to cut them back further as there is maybe only 1mm overhang from the wall. How do i deal with these , sand them down the best i can?
Bargainhead30/03/2020 12:23

I had it all over when we moved in, came off easy with steamer and …I had it all over when we moved in, came off easy with steamer and scraper.. still have it on the stairs, but that’s the only place. Thinking of leaving it there now it will be fashionable again in a year or 2...

I am wondering if it will ever come back in really cba with this job lol
MrHappyGilmore30/03/2020 12:26

Another question is some of the walls look to have screw plugs in which …Another question is some of the walls look to have screw plugs in which are not flush to the surface . There is no way to cut them back further as there is maybe only 1mm overhang from the wall. How do i deal with these , sand them down the best i can?

If you mean wall plugs/rawlplugs, insert a screw in about 10mm, then yank out with a pair of pliers. If you need to fill holes or cracks, I recommend gyproc easifill which is quick to dry and easy to sand ready for painting.
Edited by: "Raider0001" 30th Mar
I removed mine, the underneath was nice and smooth
Mendoza30/03/2020 15:27

I removed mine, the underneath was nice and smooth

Any tips? How hard was it ?
Easiest way to remove woodchip paper is, saturate it with wallpaper paste leave for a while then scrape off this was the best tip I ever had for removing that damm paper lol
Edited by: "fearona" 30th Mar
Yewwww, REMOVE ASAP!
House we just bought has wood chip paper throughout. EVERY. SINGLE. WALL.....and ceiling I should be using these weeks to try and tackle it but i'm worried that the walls will need skimming so don't want to try removing it for it to look a bit messy. Although, no one is going to see it anyway!

Hopefully it comes away as easy as a couple of you have suggested. Dreading it.
Jason30/03/2020 16:57

House we just bought has wood chip paper throughout. EVERY. SINGLE. …House we just bought has wood chip paper throughout. EVERY. SINGLE. WALL.....and ceiling I should be using these weeks to try and tackle it but i'm worried that the walls will need skimming so don't want to try removing it for it to look a bit messy. Although, no one is going to see it anyway! Hopefully it comes away as easy as a couple of you have suggested. Dreading it.

I am debating to just pay someone to sort it professionally
MrHappyGilmore30/03/2020 17:03

I am debating to just pay someone to sort it professionally

Our builder told us that most woodchip has been on the walls for so long that as long as it comes off nice and clean the walls should be in decent condition. Easier to patch repair than skim. Just seems like such an annoying job!!
It could be worse, we once bought a house that had every internal wall Artexed in a tree bark pattern, that was a nightmare to sort out and I ended up using a garden spade to chisel it flatter before having to get it re plastered, we even tried an industrial wallpaper steamer first to remove it and the mess it left was unbelievable.
If I was you I'd persevere and try to remove it myself with a steamer.
Edited by: "PaulandPam" 30th Mar
Steamer and patients is the key.
If you can live with the woodchip finish then leave alone. We once updated an old house removing woodchip, very expensive plasterer required afterwards to skim all walls.
Old plaster tends to blow underneath and woodchip hides a multitude of sins!
When we moved into our current house approx 20 years ago, most of the rooms were covered with the stuff and painted with terracotta & Green gloss type paint. (no wonder nobody except me wanted to buy it) Took me ages with a steamer to get it off, so glad i did it but wouldn't to do it again. Just fire the steamer up and crack on, youll be so glad when you finally get it all off
MrHappyGilmore30/03/2020 15:51

Any tips? How hard was it ?

it was quite tough actually, if I can remember correctly, I used plenty of hot water, and scrubbed the wall in small areas (30cm x 30cm) as I went along

to remove it from the wall after I wet it, I think I used a blunt knife

but I called my sister, and have a update, I quote:

it’s not smooth! have you seen it! there’s dents everywhere! I don’t know if you did it, or it was already under the paper.
tell them NOT to do it

she brought me back down to earth with a bump
.MUFC.30/03/2020 17:28

Steamer and patients is the key.

I have neither of these.
MrHappyGilmore30/03/2020 12:26

Another question is some of the walls look to have screw plugs in which …Another question is some of the walls look to have screw plugs in which are not flush to the surface . There is no way to cut them back further as there is maybe only 1mm overhang from the wall. How do i deal with these , sand them down the best i can?

Screw a screw in half way and use a pair if pliers or claw hammer to pull out. Fill holes with pollyfiller and rub down.
Raider000130/03/2020 12:46

If you mean wall plugs/rawlplugs, insert a screw in about 10mm, then yank …If you mean wall plugs/rawlplugs, insert a screw in about 10mm, then yank out with a pair of pliers. If you need to fill holes or cracks, I recommend gyproc easifill which is quick to dry and easy to sand ready for painting.

As you pull the rawlplug out you can sometimes pull a good lump of plaster with it, first try to tap it in, or use stanley knife to cut flush.
Come on guys man up , I bought a house that needed full stripping for a reskim , got the keys and started stripping the walls the Same night

Took a while tbh
Woodchip wallpaper was often used to cover cracks in the plaster. I would think twice.
Willy_Wonka30/03/2020 23:45

Woodchip wallpaper was often used to cover cracks in the plaster. I would …Woodchip wallpaper was often used to cover cracks in the plaster. I would think twice.

One of the bedrooms has 3 walls with wood chip wallpaper and one smooth without which makes me suspicious
MrHappyGilmore31/03/2020 06:49

One of the bedrooms has 3 walls with wood chip wallpaper and one smooth …One of the bedrooms has 3 walls with wood chip wallpaper and one smooth without which makes me suspicious

Precisely. Woodchip was made to cover up stuff x
I would strip a small section low down on one wall first to see what it's like underneath. In some cases wood chip was used to cover poor plasterwork but in other cases used because it was popular. The plaster may be ok. If you strip the wall where the fire breast is, if you decide not to strip the other walls, you could make it a feature wall with nice wallpaper. If pulling out rawlplugs with a claw hammer, put a half inch piece of wood behind the hammer as you lever the plug out. This will avoid pulling plaster off. I hope this helps and your project goes well.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants