Should i replace both back tyres?

Found 2nd Jan 2015
I need to change the back, driver side tyre and therefore is better to change both back tyres instead regardless? Ive heard as long as the tyres are correct for the car it doesn't matter if you change just one (of course for economical reasons).

Are the Blackcircles budget tyres worth it/good enough for low mileage?
Community Updates
AskTyres
14 Comments
What is the tread difference? How many miles are you doing per year?
It is best practice to replace both but not the law. All tyres have EU tyre labels now and these are usually displayed on the seller's website. I would get A or B rating for wet weather - C or worse are not great.
Unless it's a 4x4 it won't damage anything, never had any issues on my cars although I remember my dad mixing tyres once and skidding 3 times in one day. Wasn't crossply and radial either.
Unless it's a 4x4 it won't damage anything, never had any issues on my cars although I remember my dad mixing tyres once and skidding 3 times in one day. Wasn't crossply and radial either.
Original Poster
Mermoo

What is the tread difference? How many miles are you doing per year?

Thanks. Sorry I dont know the tread difference. Will check when I can.

Aprrox. 4000 miles.
Edited by: "-888-" 2nd Jan 2015
better safe than sorry put 2 on
jfclfc

better safe than sorry put 2 on

and if one TV in your house breaks just replace them all in case the plugs have worn
Original Poster
snapdragon

It is best practice to replace both but not the law. All tyres have EU … It is best practice to replace both but not the law. All tyres have EU tyre labels now and these are usually displayed on the seller's website. I would get A or B rating for wet weather - C or worse are not great.

Thanks.
madmax666

and if one TV in your house breaks just replace them all in case the … and if one TV in your house breaks just replace them all in case the plugs have worn

Ridiculous comment to make

If one tyre is bald and one is 6ml then just change one

If one is illegal and one not far behind change both

Your tyres are the only contact between you and the road so ate very important
Check your spare tyre (if you had one) and if it's new pay a fiver extra to switch tyres and replace your other back tyre to the spare (assuming it's got legal tread
I always change my tyres in pairs, Plus swap front tyres (Wheels) to the rear so the front wheels have most tread, Rear tyres wear much slower.

Check your spare if you have one?

If it's bad you could use you good rear tyre as the spare and change spare and the faulty tyre.
Just change one unless the other one is 3mm or less. There's no point changing it just for the sake of changing it.
Original Poster

Thanks will do.

shauneco

I always change my tyres in pairs, Plus swap front tyres (Wheels) to the … I always change my tyres in pairs, Plus swap front tyres (Wheels) to the rear so the front wheels have most tread, Rear tyres wear much slower. Check your spare if you have one?If it's bad you could use you good rear tyre as the spare and change spare and the faulty tyre.

shauneco

I always change my tyres in pairs, Plus swap front tyres (Wheels) to the … I always change my tyres in pairs, Plus swap front tyres (Wheels) to the rear so the front wheels have most tread, Rear tyres wear much slower. Check your spare if you have one?If it's bad you could use you good rear tyre as the spare and change spare and the faulty tyre.

It's normal practice to swap current rear to front (and off) (depending on front or rear wheel drive), as this prevents spinning out in ice/snow, and as you say the rear tyres wear much slower and with only 4000 miles per year, the tyres are more likely to perish before they wear out. I would be more concerned about the reasons why the tyres are wearing unevenly (unless they weren't put on as a pair in the first place). I would also say blackcircles budget tyres will be fine for your use.

Edited by: "Mermoo" 3rd Jan 2015
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants