Groups

Should I return my laptop or not?

I bought an Acer Cloudbook 11 from Staples (staples was the only shop stocking grey colour). It runs Windows 10 and has 32GB eMMC and 2GB RAM. The processor is intel celeron. However, there are mixed reviews on this laptop. I will only be using it for college e.g. google classroom

Staples were selling it for £179 but other colours were cheaper but I didn't like the other colours. I haven't opened it yet because of the mixed reviews. Should I keep the laptop or not?

19 Comments

Look around at other laptops in that price point and then decide.

Some of the reviews will very unjustified as reviewers expectations will be greatly higher than what the laptop is capable of delivering.

£179 is an incredibly low amount for a product that is vital for college work and your education.

You don't need to spend a fortune but £350 offers a vastly different product and experience that £180.

I'd highly recommend a Chromebook. Lower priced machines will perform better.

Original Poster

darlodge

Look around at other laptops in that price point and then decide.Some of … Look around at other laptops in that price point and then decide.Some of the reviews will very unjustified as reviewers expectations will be greatly higher than what the laptop is capable of delivering.£179 is an incredibly low amount for a product that is vital for college work and your education. You don't need to spend a fortune but £350 offers a vastly different product and experience that £180.

I can't find any good laptops that are 11 inch below £250. I dont want to spend loads though

Original Poster

deanlfc

I'd highly recommend a Chromebook. Lower priced machines will perform … I'd highly recommend a Chromebook. Lower priced machines will perform better.

Even if this gets laggy i can install chrome os? Would chrome os be fast on this?

deanlfc

I'd highly recommend a Chromebook. Lower priced machines will perform … I'd highly recommend a Chromebook. Lower priced machines will perform better.

​Are you drunk? So this £179 machine will run better than a 2k top of the line one? oO

darlodge

Look around at other laptops in that price point and then decide.Some of … Look around at other laptops in that price point and then decide.Some of the reviews will very unjustified as reviewers expectations will be greatly higher than what the laptop is capable of delivering.£179 is an incredibly low amount for a product that is vital for college work and your education. You don't need to spend a fortune but £350 offers a vastly different product and experience that £180.

This makes a lot of sense, the laptop you have is slow with no storage and the screen is a bit iffy but you paid £179 if you can stretch to spending £3/500 this will help your grades as you will not be wasting time on juggling your laptop

ibzhayat1233

I can't find any good laptops that are 11 inch below £250. I dont want to … I can't find any good laptops that are 11 inch below £250. I dont want to spend loads though

I'm sure you know this already - but just in case take a look at this link.

Changing your mind about something you've bought

ibzhayat1233

I can't find any good laptops that are 11 inch below £250. I dont want to … I can't find any good laptops that are 11 inch below £250. I dont want to spend loads though

Get a loan or part time job to fund this.

everyone seems to think you need a super powerful laptop for college and its just not true. okay, a cheaper laptop might take a few extra seconds to load a program or boot up but it should be capable of running all the programs you are realistically going to need. anything which requires super powered hardware is likely to be used on dedicated machines within the colllege.

if it suits your needs then i'd just use it and see how you go. spending less means you have less to lose if you break it or it goes missing.

32GB of storage and 2GB of ram are both limited amounts these days and I would definitely be cautious about committing to them on a computer you use a lot. I'd only call them suitable for people doing basic computing - web browing with only one or two tab open most of the time for example.

ibzhayat1233

Slightly over budget at £270 but what about this:
    misco.co.uk/pro…Hme

Skylake processor, 128GB SSD, decent sized battery and while it only has 4GB of memory it can be expanded to 8GB unlike many cheaper laptops.

adamspencer95

everyone seems to think you need a super powerful laptop for college and … everyone seems to think you need a super powerful laptop for college and its just not true. okay, a cheaper laptop might take a few extra seconds to load a program or boot up but it should be capable of running all the programs you are realistically going to need. anything which requires super powered hardware is likely to be used on dedicated machines within the colllege.if it suits your needs then i'd just use it and see how you go. spending less means you have less to lose if you break it or it goes missing.

I recently purchased the Lenovo yoga 300 from Amazon for £129 which is comparable to this, and I have a 3 year old laptop that I bought from Marks and Sparks that has 4gb of ram and a i3 processor guess which one is miles better

westy125

​Are you drunk? So this £179 machine will run better than a 2k top of th … ​Are you drunk? So this £179 machine will run better than a 2k top of the line one? oO

I'm saying a £200 ChromeOS machine will most likely perform better for longer than a £200 Windows one. If all you want to do is web browse and word process there won't be much difference at all between £200 and £2000 either.

ibzhayat1233

Even if this gets laggy i can install chrome os? Would chrome os be fast … Even if this gets laggy i can install chrome os? Would chrome os be fast on this?

It'd be best to get a Chromebook as it is 100% compatible with Chrome OS, this one is a good price, will perform well and has Android apps. I'd also take a look at the Chromebook Flip if I were you. If you need more help you could look at this.

Edit: just noticed you're actually using Google stuff thsi will be perfect, if you're college uses Google apps you may even get unlimited cloud storage on your device.

Edited by: "deanlfc" 11th Sep 2016

allowed

I recently purchased the Lenovo yoga 300 from Amazon for £129 which is … I recently purchased the Lenovo yoga 300 from Amazon for £129 which is comparable to this, and I have a 3 year old laptop that I bought from Marks and Sparks that has 4gb of ram and a i3 processor guess which one is miles better

​but they both get the job done.

deanlfc

I'm saying a £200 ChromeOS machine will most likely perform better for … I'm saying a £200 ChromeOS machine will most likely perform better for longer than a £200 Windows one. If all you want to do is web browse and word process there won't be much difference at all between £200 and £2000 either.It'd be best to get a Chromebook as it is 100% compatible with Chrome OS, this one is a good price, will perform well and has Android apps. I'd also take a look at the Chromebook Flip if I were you. If you need more help you could look at this.Edit: just noticed you're actually using Google stuff thsi will be perfect, if you're college uses Google apps you may even get unlimited cloud storage on your device.

​Aha, your probably right, a lot of cheap windows laptops are awful, and after a week will be sooo slow as they can't handle programs,

westy125

​Are you drunk? So this £179 machine will run better than a 2k top of th … ​Are you drunk? So this £179 machine will run better than a 2k top of the line one? oO

He means a Chromebook will run better than a slightly higher priced laptop. E.g a £179 Chromebook will be a great machine and in his view would be better value than a slightly higher priced laptop.

Original Poster

EndlessWaves

32GB of storage and 2GB of ram are both limited amounts these days and I … 32GB of storage and 2GB of ram are both limited amounts these days and I would definitely be cautious about committing to them on a computer you use a lot. I'd only call them suitable for people doing basic computing - web browing with only one or two tab open most of the time for example.Slightly over budget at £270 but what about this:http://www.misco.co.uk/product/2626311/HP-Pb11-4405U-4Gb-128Gb-W10HmeSkylake processor, 128GB SSD, decent sized battery and while it only has 4GB of memory it can be expanded to 8GB unlike many cheaper laptops.

Im thinking i might buy this. Im going to return the acer one. If i buy a £25 tablet off ebay then can't i trade it in for £75 cashback from hp?

ibblackberry1

He means a Chromebook will run better than a slightly higher priced … He means a Chromebook will run better than a slightly higher priced laptop. E.g a £179 Chromebook will be a great machine and in his view would be better value than a slightly higher priced laptop.

​I know what he meant, he replied to my comment, thanks though

Original Poster

westy125

​I know what he meant, he replied to my comment, thanks though

Am I better off buying the probook 11 g2 (double ram, 4x ssd size, better screen) and if I buy a £25 tablet from ebay i can effectively get £50 cashback from HP? The only doubt I have is that for me personally the 2 HP laptops I had (compaq presario) both died (gpu problem).

Original Poster

adamspencer95

​but they both get the job done.

I'm thinking of getting that hp probook 11 g2. I'm going to return the acer cloudbook 11
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. sky q is it a good deal?55
      2. Speccing a gaming pc37
      3. help: windows 10 wifi issue55
      4. Best IPTV Paid service?1721

See more discussions