Should I sell my Disney/Marvel Blu Rays & 4K UHDs and switch to Disney+?

Posted 28th FebEdited by:"BristolBillyBob"
Hi all,

I'd value some input on this, please.

I'm still buying films on 4K blu ray, and am a particular fan of Disney, Pixar and Marvel films. I have all of the CGI Disneys, some of the hand-drawn animated ones and a lot of the live action ones on Blu Ray. I also have a few on 4K discs, which look amazing. I have the entire MCU back catalogue, roughly 50% between 4K and standard Blu.

I have good, stable internet where I am, 100GB Virgin fibre, but my TV, while a 2015(/16?) LCD flagship, is one of the early 4K HDR sets and seems to struggle with 4K HDR input occasionally over HDMI or through apps, skipping frames or having a jerky picture. It's got a few other issues too, and I'd like to update it soon.

Anyway, my question boils down to this:

Should I sell my Disney, Pixar & Marvel physical media, take out Disney+ and use whatever's left towards a new TV?

I'm in a real quandry. As someone who has grown up on physical media (but has happily made the switch to Spotify) I'm finding it really hard to cut the cord to films on disc, but is now the time to do so? It would certainly be a lot cheaper. I keep telling myself that 4K blu rays have the best picture quality over 4K streaming, but I wonder if I'm just making excuses and probably wouldn't notice the difference.

Any input most welcome.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

26 Comments
Depends, do you like having the physical discs to display? Are you happy paying he subscription forever, whereas the discs you can keep playing as long as the Blu-Ray player still works.
jon81uk28/02/2020 09:45

Depends, do you like having the physical discs to display? Are you happy …Depends, do you like having the physical discs to display? Are you happy paying he subscription forever, whereas the discs you can keep playing as long as the Blu-Ray player still works.

In a way I like having a big bookcase of films to look at, but when I switched from CDs to Spotify I valued the convenience of having access to everything immediately a hell of a lot more than having physical items to look at.

And I think I'm enough of a fan of their content that I'll want all the extra series and films which will be Disney+ exclusives, so I expect I'll always be happy to subscribe. I presume, alongside their exclusives, at some point in the future (admittedly a few years out still) they'll stop putting things on physical media altogether - if its demise isn't right now, physical media surely has a limited lifespan. So eventually I'll end up subscribing anyway, and then I won't be able to sell the discs for any decent money. So is now the right time to switch?
Edited by: "BristolBillyBob" 28th Feb
I'd put them in the loft, one day they will be a rare thing and still get disney+
I’d keep and still get disn
Bargainhead28/02/2020 10:07

I’d keep and still get disn

llukejames28/02/2020 10:03

I'd put them in the loft, one day they will be a rare thing and still get …I'd put them in the loft, one day they will be a rare thing and still get disney+

Thanks both. Do you think the arrival of Disney+ will kill the second hand value of the discs, with everyone selling their collections at the same time?
I think if you sell them now you’d get progressively less value for them as more and more people switch to Disney+ and sell theirs. If you don’t need the cash, stick them in the loft and sell them when Bluray becomes antique, like cassettes are now and people are nostalgic for that poor graphics of yesteryear.
ArcadeAssassin28/02/2020 10:42

I think if you sell them now you’d get progressively less value for them a …I think if you sell them now you’d get progressively less value for them as more and more people switch to Disney+ and sell theirs. If you don’t need the cash, stick them in the loft and sell them when Bluray becomes antique, like cassettes are now and people are nostalgic for that poor graphics of yesteryear.

Are people paying lots of money for Disney cassettes then? At least it is analogue I guess though clearly not like buying a vinyl record.

Blu-Ray is digital though, so the exact same thing can be watched at the click of a button.
smashed28/02/2020 10:44

Are people paying lots of money for Disney cassettes then? At least it is …Are people paying lots of money for Disney cassettes then? At least it is analogue I guess though clearly not like buying a vinyl record.Blu-Ray is digital though, so the exact same thing can be watched at the click of a button.

Not Disney cassettes, just casettes in general are having a moment of nostalgia in the same way vinyl has.
Personally I wouldn't keep them IF you were moving to Disney+

If you are being told to keep them as it will make money then why don't the people on here get on Ebay and snap up all the Disney BluRays... they won't because it just isn't worth it
The convenience and volume of content with streaming absolutely kills the value of individual physical discs for the vast majority, there will always be people who collect things, like the trend towards vinyl. Then ultimately you have to look at the future for where technology is heading, the number of devices with blu ray drives, the fact Disney+ can be consumed using apps on multiple devices. Then technologically 4k is normal now, what about 8k screens in future... Disney+ will inevitably offer 8K, better audio, HDR etc. over time as part of keeping up with other streaming services, so it's not like a blu ray disc will entice people in future beyond collectors looking for rare things - if that's such a thing with Disney blu ray.

Also one thing I'd add is streaming services don't 'have' to be subscribed to forever - sign up for a month/year, use it, then unsub until you want it again, however blu rays have to be physically stored 'forever'.
How much are the blu-rays worth?
Most standard editions are only worth a few ££, steelbooks or limited edition can be worth a reasonable amount.

Have a look on eBay at the sold prices and see if you think the amount you'd get is worth it.
BristolBillyBob28/02/2020 09:58

In a way I like having a big bookcase of films to look at, but when I …In a way I like having a big bookcase of films to look at, but when I switched from CDs to Spotify I valued the convenience of having access to everything immediately a hell of a lot more than having physical items to look at. And I think I'm enough of a fan of their content that I'll want all the extra series and films which will be Disney+ exclusives, so I expect I'll always be happy to subscribe. I presume, alongside their exclusives, at some point in the future (admittedly a few years out still) they'll stop putting things on physical media altogether - if its demise isn't right now, physical media surely has a limited lifespan. So eventually I'll end up subscribing anyway, and then I won't be able to sell the discs for any decent money. So is now the right time to switch?

Purely from quality argument angle: BR/4k media has less degredation from source than any current or known-planned future streaming service, although many casual users may not notice any difference.
From a convenience perspective, free up the space and cash.
From a collector, aficionado, fan, connoisseur of quality, etc. Keep them all and enjoy them. £50-£60 a year for Disney is 3 4k discs a year. You probably buy way more than that.

Sadly your collection sold now or near future will take a huge loss or will take an age. I’d hedge your bets and hang fire and keep. See what the Disney service is actually like and take it from there.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 28th Feb
How much resale value? I know when i look to trade in movies and games its not worth it
I’d keep them. I don’t think there’s much value in 2nd hand blu rays, maybe a little in the 4ks if they are mint. You’ll get nowhere near the quality though through streaming 4k compared to disc, it will always be compressed to a degree.
for convenience you rip them all and setup your own Plex server,
Do you have an Amp, speaker and subwoofer setup?
If you do, I'd keep the discs. The sound and vision quality from the discs will be better than streaming.

I don't know how much you'd get for the discs (probably not much) and I don't know how much Disney+ costs.
I'd guess in 2 or 3 years time the cost of Disney+ will rise.

If in 5 or 10 years time, you decide to stop Disney+ and you've sold your discs. You'll have paid X amount of cash to Disney and have no media content.
Derek_Fortescue_Shatwell28/02/2020 12:27

Do you have an Amp, speaker and subwoofer setup?If you do, I'd keep the …Do you have an Amp, speaker and subwoofer setup?If you do, I'd keep the discs. The sound and vision quality from the discs will be better than streaming.I don't know how much you'd get for the discs (probably not much) and I don't know how much Disney+ costs.I'd guess in 2 or 3 years time the cost of Disney+ will rise.If in 5 or 10 years time, you decide to stop Disney+ and you've sold your discs. You'll have paid X amount of cash to Disney and have no media content.

But you could then buy the BluRays again used for probably an even lower price.
smashed28/02/2020 12:34

But you could then buy the BluRays again used for probably an even lower …But you could then buy the BluRays again used for probably an even lower price.

True.
Personally I'd recommend not buying the discs in the first place, but downloading all the discs from the internet and backing them up on hard drives
That way you've also saved money on not buying a 4K BR player.
Hmm, I have lots of dvds and blurays and like the idea of Plex etc. However, I cannot really be bothered to rip 500 films. What is the modern way to download a film that I already own (and no doubt in better quality than the rip I would be picking up). I assume this is legal

Cheers
Also of course they might remove content from Disney+.

What if you get to the point where you really want to watch Cinderella (for example) and find it isn't available at the moment, you'll miss having the disc I guess?
smashed28/02/2020 12:48

Hmm, I have lots of dvds and blurays and like the idea of Plex etc. …Hmm, I have lots of dvds and blurays and like the idea of Plex etc. However, I cannot really be bothered to rip 500 films. What is the modern way to download a film that I already own (and no doubt in better quality than the rip I would be picking up). I assume this is legal :)Cheers

iTues or Amazon Video are the main sources for legally buying films. There isn't any service for getting a digital copy of something you already have on disc.
jon81uk28/02/2020 13:59

iTues or Amazon Video are the main sources for legally buying films. There …iTues or Amazon Video are the main sources for legally buying films. There isn't any service for getting a digital copy of something you already have on disc.

I mean the torrent equivalent from years ago. I have no qualms with picking up a copy of something given that I already own it.
smashed28/02/2020 14:05

I mean the torrent equivalent from years ago. I have no qualms with …I mean the torrent equivalent from years ago. I have no qualms with picking up a copy of something given that I already own it.

torrents weren't generally legal.
jon81uk28/02/2020 14:07

torrents weren't generally legal.

Yes I appreciate that However I would download a torrent if I already owned it in the past (so I could watch a film without taking discs for example. From what I could tell this wasn't really an issue.
smashed28/02/2020 14:18

Yes I appreciate that However I would download a torrent if I already …Yes I appreciate that However I would download a torrent if I already owned it in the past (so I could watch a film without taking discs for example. From what I could tell this wasn't really an issue.

Technically, I think if you own the licence then you’re ok (morally), however the thing with torrents is ‘sharing’. Most torrent clients will immediately upload what you’ve downloaded to other users, which then makes you a distributer.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants