Should I sell my Retro Games Collection?

Found 12th Aug 2013
I have over 2000+ games from a console selection consisting of:

NES
SNES
N64
Gamecube
Gameboy
GBC
GBA
NDS
Sega Master System
Game Gear
Megadrive
Mega CD
Sega Saturn
DC
PS1
PS2
Xbox

I have lots of games, mostly in very good condition (boxed complete and in display condition.

This has been a hobby for some years but truth be told I don't play them that much and the space it is taking is immense. Also I have things to buy and do in life and maybe this could be a good funding source? I estimate if I sell every item for £4-5 average I would make £6-7k profit after it all.

Some of my items are highly desirable so I would need to sell most of it seperately.

I am going to replace my consoles with the Retron 5 or something and buy flash carts too.

What's your opinion? It will be hard for me to let go but I feel I need to somehow and that this is a waste of time & money to continue collecting.

Keen to hear thoughts and if anyone is interested in something, ask as I probably have it.

Thanks

106 Comments

Banned

http://spoki.tvnet.lv/upload/articles/40/401780/images/Jim-Carrey-GIF-PACK-10.gif

Banned

You don't have a Neo Geo.

Sell everything.

id sell some and keep your really rare stuff unless you need the money ,i sold most of my collection to be honest dont really miss it as like you never played them.

If you do sell then make sure you get what you want for them im sure youl have a good idea of their value, and bear in mind how much postage will be as its not cheap to post if you have lots.

be prepared for silly offers on here just dont accept them.

Banned

Give you tree fiddy for all of it!

Banned

No NEC PC Engine either.

No FM Towns.

No Atari Systems.

Pah. Retro collection.

Original Poster

ewwaxo

You don't have a Neo Geo.Sell everything.

I have a Neo Geo Gold ;P

tree fiddy fo

I think you may regret it later, I'm still not over selling my SNES 2 years ago, I'll probably be emotionally scarred for the rest of my life.

Original Poster

ewwaxo

No NEC PC Engine either.No FM Towns.No Atari Systems.Pah. Retro … No NEC PC Engine either.No FM Towns.No Atari Systems.Pah. Retro collection.

I wasn't talking about consoles, I have an Atari Woody (boxed in great condition) with about 10 boxed games.

I also have a PAL release Turbo Grafx with a few games all boxed and like new.

Original Poster

jamstaruk1972

id sell some and keep your really rare stuff unless you need the money ,i … id sell some and keep your really rare stuff unless you need the money ,i sold most of my collection to be honest dont really miss it as like you never played them.If you do sell then make sure you get what you want for them im sure youl have a good idea of their value, and bear in mind how much postage will be as its not cheap to post if you have lots.be prepared for silly offers on here just dont accept them.

I won't sell hardly any on here as people do make ridiculous offers.

Some of my rare stuff I considered keeping but than again, if I get rid of some of it I should just get rid of all of it. I can emulate it all on Flash Carts/Modded systems which I would invest in.

Some of my rarest stuff is my Shining Force 3 Sega Saturn copy which is mint.

I also have sealed copies of Final Fantasy VI and Anthologies on the PS1.

Megaman 2 boxed nes - VGC

Secret of Mana SNES - Complete VGC

I have loads really, that is just some. I hope I am like you, and don't regret it.

Banned

Care to post a picture of your collection? just for viewing pleasure.

Original Poster

spaceinvader

I think you may regret it later, I'm still not over selling my SNES 2 … I think you may regret it later, I'm still not over selling my SNES 2 years ago, I'll probably be emotionally scarred for the rest of my life.

This is my main concern, but will flash carts and emulation ease or cure the pain?

Do you emulate/use flashcarts at all?

I just feel I am wasting time/money/space

For example my NDS collection is mainly sealed. Phoenix wright games, professor layton, mario, zelda etc. It is just sitting there!

Original Poster

D_G

Care to post a picture of your collection? just for viewing pleasure.

Give me a few days and I can, unless I can upload some iPhone photos (how to?)?

It is a mess currently as I have too much now.

dont be afraid to sell on here as there are a few collectors if you dont get what you want go elswhere at least here you can save a bit on selling fees and not have to worry about paypal issues if buyers complain about the tiniest imperfection

Original Poster

SOME pictures

Please not these pictures where taken a while ago, also the cupboard is deep and most sections are double stacked with piles of games behind them too. Picture quality isnt great and it is a mess as it it now too much for me to manage properly with the space I have.

Banned

I think you should post a rare games list - slap it in FS.

Banned

SDLiam

I wasn't talking about consoles, I have an Atari Woody (boxed in great … I wasn't talking about consoles, I have an Atari Woody (boxed in great condition) with about 10 boxed games. I also have a PAL release Turbo Grafx with a few games all boxed and like new.

nice.

seriously though dude. just hang on to it.... be worth more later possibly, when everything goes fully digital storage.

Original Poster

Most of the games in the link above where taken in a rush and some are not retro etc, I just bulk uploaded.

As you can see I have so much crap that it is everywhere.

A lot of my rare stuff is in the back too.

If anyone does see anything let me know you're interest.

Original Poster

ewwaxo

I think you should post a rare games list - slap it in FS.

I'll consider it, just will get fed up of responding to low ball offers.

I see what you mean about hanging onto it but the stuff is worth good money now. I just don't know!?

tree fiddy fi

I would personally just keep what you actually want then sell the rest, I collect old gaming/retro stuff, but strictly buy the stuff I remember from my child hood else I would end up with a collection like yours...

Though if your looking to sell your Sega Saturn..I might be interested..

SDLiam

I'll consider it, just will get fed up of responding to low ball offers.I … I'll consider it, just will get fed up of responding to low ball offers.I see what you mean about hanging onto it but the stuff is worth good money now. I just don't know!?

Do you have a boxed gamegear you would sell? really hard to get one in nice condition

Original Poster

barney124

Do you have a boxed gamegear you would sell? really hard to get one in … Do you have a boxed gamegear you would sell? really hard to get one in nice condition

Funny really as I have a boxed Game Gear in Brilliant condition. All manuals, warranty cards etc. Game Gear is in great shape needs a new sound bit and screen (they all go and I haven’t gotten around to fixing mine)

I also have for the game gear, an official carry case with the tags still on. An official battery extender, boxed and in great shape and an official TV tuner boxed and mint.

Also have 12 games at least boxed and in great shape and another 30 or so cartridge based.

Original Poster

j0nnymoe

I would personally just keep what you actually want then sell the rest, I … I would personally just keep what you actually want then sell the rest, I collect old gaming/retro stuff, but strictly buy the stuff I remember from my child hood else I would end up with a collection like yours...Though if your looking to sell your Sega Saturn..I might be interested..

I will let you know.

My saturn collection is small but very good.

I have the console boxed and in great shape. Also have 2 guns complete and in great shape (1 Virtua cop and 1 Virtua cop 2 one). Also games I owned are Sonic R (mint condition), Virtua fightin 1 and 2 good condition, Shining Force 3 (Mint condition), Aliens trilogy (lol), Resident Evil (Great condition) and 15 others that I can't remember but all boxed and in good nick. Theres a rare one called Bio something but I just can't remember.

That's an impressive array of hardware. I've held on to my:

Snes
Gamecube
Megadrive
Mega CD
Amiga CD-32
Dreamcast
Saturn
Nintendo DS
PSP
XBox

I used to have PS1 / PS2 / N64 / CD-I / 3DO too but had opportunities to sell.
If I was only allowed to keep one it would be the Snes

Original Poster

MBeeching

That's an impressive array of hardware. I've held on to … That's an impressive array of hardware. I've held on to my:SnesGamecubeMegadriveMega CDAmiga CD-32DreamcastSaturnNintendo DSPSPXBoxI used to have PS1 / PS2 / N64 / CD-I / 3DO too but had opportunities to sell.If I was only allowed to keep one it would be the Snes

That's nice too :).

My SNES is near mint condition and the really nice Super Mario Allstars console version. Also have a Boxed (good condition) Street Fighter 2 one and a loos snes.

My snes games are mainly cartridge (boxes are so hard and £££!)

The games include most of the classic like F Zero, All donkey kongs, All Marios, Zelda, TMNT Turtles in Time (rare and wicked), Metroid, Yoshis island, Mario Kart, Bomberman, Street Fighter 2 and many more good games (star fox etc). I'll try and post my snes stuff for you to see

Oh and Boxed Secret of Mana, Boxed Illusion of Gaia.
Edited by: "SDLiam" 12th Aug 2013

I still have the cartridges for:

Mario Kart
Turtles in Time
Mario World
Mario Allstars
Rock N' Roll Racing
Super Metroid
Zombies
Yoshi's Island
Super Probotector
The Secret of Mana
Donkey Kong Country

I may still have: Sunset Riders, Shadowrun, Parodius, Zelda: Link to the Past, Batman Returns, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Tiny Toons: Buster Busts Loose (but would have to double check).

Unfortunately I only have one pad left (a university flat 'mate' shredded my spare with the vacuum cleaner :D).

Edited by: "MBeeching" 12th Aug 2013

Original Poster

MBeeching

I still have the cartridges for:Mario KartTurtles in TimeMario WorldMario … I still have the cartridges for:Mario KartTurtles in TimeMario WorldMario AllstarsRock N' Roll RacingSuper MetroidZombiesYoshi's IslandSuper ProbotectorThe Secret of ManaDonkey Kong CountryI may still have: Sunset Riders, Shadowrun, Parodius, Zelda: Link to the Past, Batman Returns, Legend of the Mystical Ninja, Tiny Toons: Buster Busts Loose (but would have to double check).Unfortunately I only have one pad left (a university flat 'mate' shredded my spare with the vacuum cleaner :D).

If you have Shadowrun and Sunset riders - I am jealous!

Very very nice games!

Shame about the pad, they are decently priced though :). The snes pad is a thing of beauty, I always thought the PAL SNES and colour scheme was the best looking.

Are Sega Saturns now collectable? I have a boxed one gathering dust in the attic with about 20 games & accessories. Games are run of the mill stuff, Die Hard, Virtua Cop, Panzer Dragoon, Sega Rally, Daytona etc

Original Poster

hermanjelmet

Are Sega Saturns now collectable? I have a boxed one gathering dust in … Are Sega Saturns now collectable? I have a boxed one gathering dust in the attic with about 20 games & accessories. Games are run of the mill stuff, Die Hard, Virtua Cop, Panzer Dragoon, Sega Rally, Daytona etc

As long as they are in good condition yes, you can Mod them very easily and burn CDs to play games.

Also games are generally in poor condition (thanks for the crap design sega!), so mediorce games can get good prices for mint boxes and discs.

The system has some very sought after and great exclusive games.

BTW excellent pic :), massive fan of the Clash too!

SDLiam

As long as they are in good condition yes, you can Mod them very easily … As long as they are in good condition yes, you can Mod them very easily and burn CDs to play games.Also games are generally in poor condition (thanks for the crap design sega!), so mediorce games can get good prices for mint boxes and discs.The system has some very sought after and great exclusive games.

Thanks for the reply. it's all pretty much mint apart from some game boxes being slightly warped - My gaming days are behind me so might well dust it down & get shot of it all. Also have a boxed Dreamcast & games, keyboard etc and an Atari 2600 with a knackered box & a few games. Shall have to investigate further...

Edited by: "hermanjelmet" 12th Aug 2013

What would you say is your rarest item/game in your collection?

Original Poster

hermanjelmet

Thanks for the reply. it's all pretty much mint apart from some game … Thanks for the reply. it's all pretty much mint apart from some game boxes being slightly warped - My gaming days are behind me so might well dust it down & get shot of it all. Also have a boxed Dreamcast & games, keyboard etc and an Atari 2600 with a knackered box & a few games. Shall have to investigate further...

DCs are quite collectible too as are the games (again shoddy cases).

If you don't play it, get it gone. Atari's make good money!

Retron 5?

My old modded Xbox 1 does all that and more!

Original Poster

Mallinersha

What would you say is your rarest item/game in your collection?

Very hard question and I'd have to dig around.

I have mint copies of Vandal Hearts 1 & 2 on the PS1.

I have a boxed and in great condition complete Game & Watch Squish which is worth over £100.

I have the boxed Castlevania Lords of Shadow PAL collectors.

I have a lot of rare items, nothing ridiculous in value (over £500 etc).

My ps1 collection is some of my favorite though. I actually went as far as this and bought brand new cases (from an old warehouse) and replaced all my unsealed rare games with brand news cases so the games look as new.

PS1 games include:

Alundra
Alundra 2
Castlevania SOTN
FFVI x 2 one sealed one opened
FF Anthologies sealed
Castlevania Chronicles
FFVII x one plat one black label
FFVIII
FFIX
Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen
Vandal Hearts
Vandal Hearts 2
Breath of Fire 3
Breath of Fire 4
Wild Arms
Resident Evil
Resi 2
Resi 3
Resi Survivor

I have many more decent ps1 games. These are off the top off my head, will get pics up soon.

Banned

Radiant Silvergun?

Snatcher?

Original Poster

Mallinersha

Retron 5?My old modded Xbox 1 does all that and more!

I considered this but I think Flash carts and a retron 5 would be cool.

Alternatively I might but a PC simply for emulation/MAME and create an arcade cabinet with USB pads so I can just emulate it all in one mega station

Banned

But the Retron is still an emulator no?

I'm going to give a GameGadget a go. Got decent firmware for them now.
Edited by: "ewwaxo" 12th Aug 2013

Original Poster

ewwaxo

But the Retron is still an emulator no?I'm going to give a GameGadget a … But the Retron is still an emulator no?I'm going to give a GameGadget a go. Got decent firmware for them now.

Not sure, it is hardware as they have proper cartridge slots etc but I would be running a flashcart on an unofficial console lol.

I'll check out the game gadget!

Banned

SDLiam

I considered this but I think Flash carts and a retron 5 would be … I considered this but I think Flash carts and a retron 5 would be cool.Alternatively I might but a PC simply for emulation/MAME and create an arcade cabinet with USB pads so I can just emulate it all in one mega station

raspberry pi solution ?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions