Should I upgrade my PC?

Posted 15th Dec 2019
So looking at building myself a new PC come the new year and wanted some guidance.

My current PC Specs:
Case: Corsair Carbide Air 540 BLACK
CPU: i5-4690k @3.50 (running at stock)
RAM: Avexir Blitz 1.1 RED GamingDragon Series Memory DDR3-2400MHz 16GB Kit (8GB x 2)
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 950
MOBO: MSI Z97-GAMING 7 Socket 1150 ATX Motherboard - Z97-Gaming 7

I'm looking at building a Ryzen 7 3700X PC... Is it worth the upgrade from what I have already?

I mainly use Photoshop/Illustrator and do a bit of gaming. I don't really need high-end and don't have an endless budget. Any recommendations?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

27 Comments
It's your choice tbh, but I would say your current specs are fine
That 950 is a very weak card. Is the Photoshop/Illustrator part of a job or a hobby? And also what would your budget be?
Edited by: "Shrekt" 15th Dec 2019
Shrekt15/12/2019 11:27

That 950 is a very weak card. Is the Photoshop/Illustrator part of a job …That 950 is a very weak card. Is the Photoshop/Illustrator part of a job or a hobby? And also what would your budget be?

I mean I built this PC in 2016 so yeah I know it's a bit dated now lol.

They are a hobby and work just fine now with what I do, but for gaming my PC turns into a jet engine haha. I understand this is probably more of a GPU issue but I do feel like a change.

My main plan was to get the new CPU, MOBO and RAM and then get a new GPU at a later date. But I could just put the budget into a new GPU and then upgrade the main components later into the year.

To be fair I don't really have a budget, don't really want to spend over £600 but I know 300> of that is for the CPU alone lol.
I wanted 32GB of RAM also which will probably be £150> so doesn't leave much really.

Just wanted to get people's opinions really and see what I should be aiming at as I haven't touched PC building in forever haha.
dbizal15/12/2019 11:34

I mean I built this PC in 2016 so yeah I know it's a bit dated now lol. …I mean I built this PC in 2016 so yeah I know it's a bit dated now lol. They are a hobby and work just fine now with what I do, but for gaming my PC turns into a jet engine haha. I understand this is probably more of a GPU issue but I do feel like a change.My main plan was to get the new CPU, MOBO and RAM and then get a new GPU at a later date. But I could just put the budget into a new GPU and then upgrade the main components later into the year.To be fair I don't really have a budget, don't really want to spend over £600 but I know 300> of that is for the CPU alone lol. I wanted 32GB of RAM also which will probably be £150> so doesn't leave much really. Just wanted to get people's opinions really and see what I should be aiming at as I haven't touched PC building in forever haha.

Why do you want 32GB RAM?
Shrekt15/12/2019 11:38

Why do you want 32GB RAM?

Just because lol. I find my Computer is still sluggish at 16GB and wanted some overkill if I'm honest, especially with the tabs I have open and Photoshop/Illustrator open with various files at the same time.
Also doesn't Ryzen work better with more RAM?

Gosh I feel like I am so out of the loop lol
Some room for saving (dropping to a Ryzen 2600 or getting a used GPU such as a RX 580) on this list but this is the entire PC

PCPartPicker Part List: uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…v4n

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£168.78 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£66.99 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Patriot Viper 4 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£54.96 @ CCL Computers)
Storage: TCSunBow X3 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£80.98 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB Twin Fan Video Card (£218.46 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L MicroATX Mini Tower Case (£32.54 @ Amazon UK)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £672.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-15 11:40 GMT+0000
dbizal15/12/2019 11:40

Just because lol. I find my Computer is still sluggish at 16GB and wanted …Just because lol. I find my Computer is still sluggish at 16GB and wanted some overkill if I'm honest, especially with the tabs I have open and Photoshop/Illustrator open with various files at the same time. Also doesn't Ryzen work better with more RAM? Gosh I feel like I am so out of the loop lol

Do you have an SSD at the minute?
Shrekt15/12/2019 11:41

Do you have an SSD at the minute?

I have the 250GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD for my OS, and some other budget SSDs for dumping files in and a few games.
I also have a decent PSU (trying to find the email for the order so I can see what it is lol) so probably no need to buy a new one of those also.
As already mentioned, your specs, apart from your GPU aren't bad.

You could upgrade your GPU to a 1660 / 2060, spending half your budget.
psychedelicrenegade15/12/2019 11:50

As already mentioned, your specs, apart from your GPU aren't bad.You could …As already mentioned, your specs, apart from your GPU aren't bad.You could upgrade your GPU to a 1660 / 2060, spending half your budget.

I'm starting to think that now to be honest... Although I will probably move over to the Ryzen line at a later date if I did that.
I would prefer a card that would be fine with both intel for now and then AMD for when I switch over...
I'm waiting on the PSU model, maybe I can reuse that, the case and the SSD
dbizal15/12/2019 11:52

I'm starting to think that now to be honest... Although I will probably …I'm starting to think that now to be honest... Although I will probably move over to the Ryzen line at a later date if I did that.I would prefer a card that would be fine with both intel for now and then AMD for when I switch over...

GPUs dont have a preference for whether the CPU is AMD or Intel
Shrekt15/12/2019 11:54

I'm waiting on the PSU model, maybe I can reuse that, the case and the SSD

Oh jesus... this PSU is old lol. OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular PSU. I thought I bought it when I bought the other parts in 2016... I didn't... lol.

I am thinking I should just buy a new GPU and potentially a new PSU(?)
dbizal15/12/2019 11:58

Oh jesus... this PSU is old lol. OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular PSU. I …Oh jesus... this PSU is old lol. OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular PSU. I thought I bought it when I bought the other parts in 2016... I didn't... lol. I am thinking I should just buy a new GPU and potentially a new PSU(?)

Well here's a list with 32GB ram, although I'm not sure if you need it. £604

PCPartPicker Part List: uk.pcpartpicker.com/lis…rMc

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (£168.78 @ Aria PC)
Motherboard: MSI B450M PRO-VDH MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard (£66.99 @ CCL Computers)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£99.95 @ Overclockers.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (Purchased For £0.00)
Video Card: Zotac GeForce GTX 1660 Super 6 GB Twin Fan Video Card (£218.46 @ CCL Computers)
Case: Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case (Purchased For £0.00)
Power Supply: Corsair CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply (£49.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £604.17
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-12-15 11:59 GMT+0000
If it was me, i'd upgrade the gpu. The psu is decent so i'd keep that until there's a cracking deal on a decent Corsair/Seasonic etc

Then i'd go for upgrading the mb/cpu and memory later depending on when deals are about. At various times through the year there are some great promotions to be had with cashback and free gifts. In fact asus might still have one on now.
m1keyp1key15/12/2019 12:21

If it was me, i'd upgrade the gpu. The psu is decent so i'd keep that …If it was me, i'd upgrade the gpu. The psu is decent so i'd keep that until there's a cracking deal on a decent Corsair/Seasonic etc Then i'd go for upgrading the mb/cpu and memory later depending on when deals are about. At various times through the year there are some great promotions to be had with cashback and free gifts. In fact asus might still have one on now.

I'm swaying more towards that now to be honest. At least I can then put the new GPU into the new build when I get round to it.

Really appreciate the comments from everyone so far though, they have got me thinking haha.
m1keyp1key15/12/2019 12:21

If it was me, i'd upgrade the gpu. The psu is decent so i'd keep that …If it was me, i'd upgrade the gpu. The psu is decent so i'd keep that until there's a cracking deal on a decent Corsair/Seasonic etc Then i'd go for upgrading the mb/cpu and memory later depending on when deals are about. At various times through the year there are some great promotions to be had with cashback and free gifts. In fact asus might still have one on now.

I think the PSU is a little outdated now and from what I can tell lacks safety features of newer PSUs such as the Corsair one I've put in the build
Shrekt15/12/2019 12:25

I think the PSU is a little outdated now and from what I can tell lacks …I think the PSU is a little outdated now and from what I can tell lacks safety features of newer PSUs such as the Corsair one I've put in the build

If he goes the way of a new build then yes get a new psu. While he has the old pc i'm not sure it's necessary.
I've a fantastic psu in a Corsair HX750I and that's seen me through about 4 builds now.

Problem is when you look at the price of it now it's £150 and that's just crazy money.

There's cracking deals to be on 10 year warranty psu's and i reckon he can sit it out to find a deal before upgrading the rest of the pc.
If he wants to get a psu now, then this one is great value

ebuyer.com/809…als

Although i don't recommend buying from ebuyer.
I will probably get the GPU and PSU (just to be on the safe side).
I've looked at the ones linked above... any recommendations along with those?
New gpu and ssd...
dbizal15/12/2019 12:43

I will probably get the GPU and PSU (just to be on the safe side). I've …I will probably get the GPU and PSU (just to be on the safe side). I've looked at the ones linked above... any recommendations along with those?

I recommend Super Flower PSUs. A bit more expensive but top quality. EVGA also do a good range based around Super Flower.
If you do go for a new mobo, then it’s certainly worth getting a m.2 NVME SSD. My pc was really struggling with photoshop with an older sata SSD, the Ryzen 5-2600 and 16gb of RAM.

I spent £50 on a new m2 SSD and £70 on another 16GB of RAM and the difference is astonishing. It absolutely flies.
bluep15/12/2019 16:37

If you do go for a new mobo, then it’s certainly worth getting a m.2 NVME S …If you do go for a new mobo, then it’s certainly worth getting a m.2 NVME SSD. My pc was really struggling with photoshop with an older sata SSD, the Ryzen 5-2600 and 16gb of RAM. I spent £50 on a new m2 SSD and £70 on another 16GB of RAM and the difference is astonishing. It absolutely flies.

I'm probably going to go with a new GPU for now, makes more sense after thinking about it and people on here suggesting it.

I've been eyeing up those M2 SSDs for a while now also, so will 100% be going in the new build later next year.
Just an update on this, deciding to go for the GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions